[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/prog/ general

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 7

Pseudo-deep lyrics, technical wankery, and all around pretentiousness, come to this thread. It's progressive rock time.
>>
Rush is literally the greatest prog band ever

Sage
>>
21st century schizoid man is one of the most kick ass things to ever grace a vinyl groove. I'm always drenched in sweat after listening to it.
>>
>>73554607
Peter Sinfield was legit deep tho. Read up on all the occult shit he did with the lyrics.
>>
Give me examples (good and bad) of prog/rock groups who have arranged covers of classical music into their sound. I'm trying to arrange Uranus by Holst into as few instruments as possible and still have it sound thick.
>>
>>73555045
vinyl is shit and you should not disgrace prog with it
>>
>>73554661
In all seriousness people shit on Rush too much, they're not the best prog band but they still are really good.
>>
File: thethoughtsofemerlistdavjack.jpg (248KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
thethoughtsofemerlistdavjack.jpg
248KB, 1000x1000px
>>73555351
>>
>>73555351
ELP's Pictures at an Exhibition comes to mind.
>>
File: IMG_1630.jpg (129KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1630.jpg
129KB, 500x500px
>>73555351
ELP has like shitloads of that stuff
Pictures at an exhibition
Allegro Barbaro
Toccata
just to name a few
>>
>>73555351
King Crimson performed mvmt. 1 (Mars, Bringer of War) of The Planets by Gustav Holst regularly at lives shows, it's on tons of their earlier live albums but they delete all the non shit recordings off the internet
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ag9l1C1-zQQ

Yes also did an excerpt of a Brahms symphony on Fragile
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5h9eJZ48eE
>>
King Crimson's Discipline era = best King Crimson era
>>
>>73555422
>>73555423
>>73555544
>>73555700

Thank you, Dubs crew and friend. I'll check them out, but I hated Cans and Brahms. It's not terrible, but it sticks out like a sore thumb on the album, even more than 5% does.
>>
>>73555351
>Give me examples (good and bad) of prog/rock groups who have arranged covers of classical music into their sound
Definitely avoid Egg.
>>
File: burnt-weeny-sandwich-900.jpg (214KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
burnt-weeny-sandwich-900.jpg
214KB, 900x900px
>>73555351
As far as good examples go - Frank Zappa's Burnt Weeny Sandwich. It's one of his best and most underappreciated albums. In my opinion it's one of the most successful combinations of rock and classical music.
>>
So I've heard the basics- Yes, KC, Genesis, ect. I'm looking to get into that obscure shit. Where do I go from here?
>>
>>73557663
Pink Floyd - Dark side of the moon
>>
>>73557727
haha good one
>>
>>73557663
Aphrodite's Child - 666
>>
>>73557777
good quads for good album
>>
>>73557036
>avoid Egg

Well now I have to listen. I want shit examples too so I can pick out what not to do.
>>
>>73555351
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yl8RbU1hXuQ
>>
>>73555374
mfw most of 70s prog involved moog/hammond analog synthesizers which sound SO much better on vinyl and you don't even know what youre missing until youve heard it.
>>
>>73557732
>>73557727
not joking. if you haven't listened to every pink floyd album then you haven't heard all the basics whether you think they're prog or not.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFCniNYZoFg

kickass version of hoedown from rodeo by copland
>>
>>73555351
>>73559296
just realized I didn't even reply to the post
>>
>>73557663
Änglagård - Hybris
Banco Del Mutuo Soccorso - Io Sono Nato Libero
Camel - Mirage
Caravan - In The Land Of Grey And Pink
Comus - First Utterance
Eloy - Ocean
Focus - Hamburger Concerto
Gentle Giant - Octopus
Gong - The Flying Teapot (and the next 2 Radio Gnome albums if you like it)
Gryphon - Red Queen To Gryphon Three
Guru Guru - Hinten
Harmonium - Si On Avait Besoin D'une Cinquième Saison
IQ - Dark Matter
Jethro Tull - Thick As A Brick (if this wasn't included in the basics, listen this first)
Magma - Mekanïk Destruktïw Kommandöh
Marillion - Misplaced Childhood
maudlin of the Well - Part the Second
Nektar - Journey to the Centre of the Eye
Premiata Forneria Marconi - Per Un Amico
Pulsar - Halloween
Soft Machine - Third
Uzva - Uoma
Van der Graaf Generator - Godbluff
>>
>>73557663
hardcore recommend gentle giant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkKbLpcRVmw
>>
>>73559414
>Focus - Hamburger Concerto
my nigga
>>
File: 1611821.jpg (55KB, 260x260px) Image search: [Google]
1611821.jpg
55KB, 260x260px
is other RIO as godly as this??
>>
i hate you all, fags
>>
Currently in love with this album and with this band.

Nine Feet Underground makes me cry.
>>
>>
>>73559278
He said he's heard all the basics. We can fucking assume he's heard DSOTM for fucks sake.

People who don't know what prog is have heard that record.
>>
Seems like the thread to ask:
Is Cat Food supposed to suck?
>>
Honestly prog is simultaneously the corniest genre and one of the most fun ones and I don't know why.
>>
>>73562337
I think 70's prog rock is fun because its just the product of a bunch of classically trained extremely skilled musicians taking drugs and breaking new ground with the skills they already have
Its like there's method to the madness, unlike psychedelic rock which is usually just DUDE WEED LMAO
>>
>>73561066
Nice. Very nice. Let's see Paul Allen's dubs.
>>
FUCK YOU@!!! this is not pretensious it is GENIUS! to the highest degree. it is good shit AND hood shit...im drunk
>>
>>73558953
Have you listened to them?
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.