[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So, can we agree this is the best Beatles album?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 5

File: AbbeyRoad.jpg (251KB, 1220x1220px) Image search: [Google]
AbbeyRoad.jpg
251KB, 1220x1220px
So, can we agree this is the best Beatles album?
>>
>>73544371
You shouldn't rush so much when creating threads, anon. You accidentally posted the album cover of Abbey Road when im fact you intended to post the album cover of Revolver. Next time be a little more cautious and double check before you hit "Post".
>>
>>73544371
No, we can't. Now go away.

p.s. It's actually the white album

/thread
>>
>>73544415
I flip-flop between those two for my personal favorite.
>>
Sgt. Peppers is their best you plebs
>>
>>73544538
but that's the plebbiest choice possible, anon
>>
>>73544538
this
>>
>>73544538
yup
>>
>>73544538
>calling people plebs
>whilst picking the most plebby and normie Beatles album
>>
>>73544371
Yes.
>>
Adulthood is realizing the White Album was the best all along
>>
>>73544700
>ignoring an album because it is most commonly called the best
>not a complete pleb
>>
1. Revolver (11/10)
2. Rubber Soul (10/10)
3. Abbey Road (10/10)
4. White Album (9.5/10)
5. Magical Mystery Tour (9.5/10)
6. Sgt. Pepper (9.5/10)
7. Help! (9/10)
8. A Hard Day's Night (9/10)
9. Let It Be (8/10)
10. Please Please Me (8/10)
11. Beatles For Sale (7.5/10)
12. Yellow Submarine (7.10)
13. With The Beatles (7/10)
>>
>>73544700
Caring about fanbases and popularity is the true mark of a pleb. REAL patricians listen to everything and decide for themselves.
>>
>>73544767
Let it Be is easily better than Hard Day's Night. Why the fuck do people underrate Let it Be. Get Back, Don't Let Me Down, Ive Got a Feeling, Long and Winding Road, .. fuck the list goes on the thing is packed with great songs
>>
>>73544798
I still gave Let It Be an 8/10, so it's evident I'm a fan of the album. It has some meh moments though, and some weak production, whereas AHDN is simply a collection of excellent and memorable jangle pop songs with no duds.
>>
My personal favorite is Help!. But the one that I appreciate technically and musically the most is Sgt. Pepper, not memeing.
>>
File: Capture.jpg (74KB, 1245x299px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
74KB, 1245x299px
>>73545038
What you have to do is get Let it Be and Let it Be Naked and do you own tracklist, using the versions from each you prefer. This is how you turn it from an 8 to a 9/9.5
>>
>>73544371
>So, can we agree
the answer is always no regardless of what follows it
>>
Honestly I think Revolver, Sgt Peppers, the White Album and Abbey Road are all just about equal in quality. Love too, but I know most you wouldn't count that.
>>
>>73545338
>excluding Rubber Soul and MMT
All 6 are god tier
>>
>>73544415

I always dismissed this as /mu/ being contrarian like always but actually jamming to revolver today and id say its the album which encompasses what the beatles are about the best for sure
>>
>>73545447
That's what makes Revolver so great. It is the album that sort of gives you the best picture of the Beatle discography. If you had to recommend one album to totally explain the Beatles sound it would be Revolver.

If I could only take 2 Beatle records to a desert island it would be that and the White Album and I would feel like I had every Beatle style covered
>>
File: 91wBXCVjUTL._SL1500_.jpg (686KB, 1500x1493px) Image search: [Google]
91wBXCVjUTL._SL1500_.jpg
686KB, 1500x1493px
>>73544371
Revolver is the only patrician choice.
>>
>>73544538
IT WAS 20 YEARS AGO TODAY
>>
>>73544371
Just beacause 'You never give me your money'
without that song that album becomes a 8/10
>>
>>73544371
Big mean mr mustard fan?
>>
>>73544538
Sgt Pepper would be their best if it had Penny Lane/Strawberry Fields Forever on it
>>
>>73544421
this
>>
>>73544767
knock all those scores down by 2 and you're right
>>
>>73544538
this
>>
Abbey Road is hard to pin down, because as a whole it's one of their best but if you listen to it not as an album it kinda just falls apart. Revolver's up there, but it's not avant-garde enough in a way, it's still very much a pop rock album. Rubber Soul goes the same way. Magical Mystery Tour has some of their best songwriting, but it's not a cohesive thing. White Album's just all over the place. Sgt. Pepper's a great album but I can't help but feel that it's missing something.

Then you've the others and they're great, solid jangle pop songs. God, this is hard.

I'll go with Revolver, mostly because it's my favorite, for all it encompasses.
>>
>>73545814
/Thread
>>
>>73544421
agree
>>
File: IMG_5026.jpg (51KB, 643x481px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5026.jpg
51KB, 643x481px
>>73544371
Yes
Probably one of the best finales of any album I've listened to
>>
>>73545447
Revolver is contrarian? The fuck have you been smoking? It is widely regarded as one of the reatest albums ever released by any artist, and is generally considered the best Beatles album in recent times. Do some searching for online polls of the best Beatles album, Revolver usually wins.

>many music critics recognise Revolver as the Beatles' best album, surpassing Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band. The album was ranked first in Colin Larkin's book All-Time Top 1000 Albums and third in Rolling Stone magazine's list of the 500 greatest albums of all time

Taken from the wikipedia page
>>
>>73547669
This. True patricians know Revolver is the best album ever
>>
>>73547669
I actually agree with you, but the winner of that rolling stone list was sgt pepper, so your evidence is 50/50

once again, i agree with you but poor craftsmanship
>>
Absolutely not. Sgt. Pepper is widely regarded as the time rock music matched the artistic level of Bach or Mozart. It is their most well-written album without a doubt.
>>
File: white.png (118KB, 10000x10000px) Image search: [Google]
white.png
118KB, 10000x10000px
>>
>>73547933
According to RS, Pepper is top. Bit their reader's poll placed Revolver top.
>>
>>73544371

My dad certainly thinks so, and was himself a touring and recording musician for a few years during the mid 70s, who furthermore hates almost all popular music released since that period. He made a point of buying me a copy.
>>
>>73547723
>>73547669

I have argued in previous /mu/ threads about "you must choose which album will not be destroyed" that Revolver must in any event be preserved on the importance of Tomorrow Never Knows alone. I have persuaded otther anons of the truth of this; most of The Chemical Brothers' sound is based around this one track, along with other artists.

There are great fun Beatles tracks but in terms of actually sounding like and predicting and influencing future things (and not just that one name I dropped just now), Tomorrow Never Knows is perhaps the single most important Beatles track.
>>
does it count as a Beatles album if the mind behind the band was already dead by this point?

Revolver is the best Beatles album btw. Then White Album, THEN Albey Road
>>
>>73544371
yes
>>
>>73544371
revolver is my favorite beatles album
>>
>>73548300

Sure, because the rhetorical point that you seem to be trying to make is false. A band is coterminous with its current members from moment to moment, and does not include "the help", as it were - even if the help are more powerful than the band, the point is that the two are distinct categories.

Perhaps you refer to Brian Epstein, or perhaps you have someone else in mind. But the "boy-band" management-artist dynamic obviously loses relevance as the band progressed, and with Epstein's death (if that's who you really mean). And even so, the people who actually do the singing, the dancing, the recording, have primacy, even outside this one hypothetical.

The phrase "the mind behind the band" is best applied to the master arranger George Martin, The One True Fifth Beatle, the one who arranged all the fluorishes and strings and shit and actually directly collaborated on the sound on the peak stuff, and for whom I don't seem to remember that /mu/ made a sticky yet they had some other bullshit sticky at the time for some rapper or some shit.
>>
>>73544371
The best?
That's a topic for debate, but I like it.
Not a bad album for grace under pressure, and if this had been their last album it would've been a great Swan Song.

I'm a dyed in the wool Beatles fan and don't think they ever put out a bad album. Individual bad songs, yes, but bad album? no.

I love how all the tracks segue into one another at the start of You Never Give Me Your Money, but the whole album is great. (I wonder why they don't list Your majesty as the last song though. Early pressings have the song listed on the jacket and label. It's NOT a "Hidden track" and was never meant to be considered as one. But then again I don't know why they retitled "The Beatles Again" and called it "Hey Jude" either)
>>
Revolver is the best, Abbey Road is my favourite just for the end. White Album is fantastic too, and better than Sgt Peppers, but it is not as consistent as Revolver or as well put together as Abbey Road. It can be argued to be the best collection of songs however
>>
>>73544700
>implying the Beatles have non-normie albums
>>
>>73544798
I agree that Let It Be is underrated maybe, but you picked some of the lame songs as standouts. Across The Universe, Two of Us, and Dig a Pony are where it's at ok
>>
Revolver and rubber soul are the best beatles albums, hands down. these are their last albums where they only use the usual guitar-guitar-drum-bass combo, it's the peak of what we consider a classical "rock n roll band"

sgt pepper is the most iconic, but probably is also the most unique out of the fab four production
first time a band spent so much time in a studio, they got orchestrated bits, tons of instruments: it's the definition of the "modern concept album"

abbey road and let it be and the white album are the definitive holy trifecta, there's so much variation in genres, style, songwriting
by this time each beatle was probably at his peak as a musician, lot of songs written in this period by lennon, mccartney and harrison will be hit singles in their solo careers later on

there's a moment when the beatles were great because they worked together, and another moment where they worked against each other and still managed to make great songs

tl;dr you can't rank beatles albums that's why they're the best band of all time
>>
sergeant pepper is pretty good, but it feels kind of lacking somehow. besides a couple all-time great songs, there's stuff which sounds like songs from revolver which were done better on that album.
>>
>>73544538
But Sgt.Pepper is objectively their best, so it has to be pleb!
>>
A day in the life is the best beatles song plebeians, prove me wrong
>>
>>73545936
this
>>
>>73544371
I agree with you but I'm pretty sure most of the /mu/-tards disagree, everybody is so fucking stereotipical and say that their best is Revolver (which is not a bad album)
>>
>>73544798
I don't think that people underrate 3 of their most popular singles. But overall is it really that surprising that people are not all about an album that was made at the most tumultuous point in the band's history, an album which John himself said was shit?
>>
>>73553509
Oh also Let It Be on the album <<<<<<<< Let It Be the single.
>>
Probably too contrarian for anyone to believe me but Magical Mystery Tour is their best. Good songwriting and a nice psychedelic vibe. Even the gimmick songs are good.
>>
>>73553553
MMT is good but it bothers me that it's a soundtrack EP with some singles tacked on at the end. I wish more thought was put into the release.
>>
>>73548160
Sgt Pepper's is more of a triumph of production and revolutionary for how they utilized the studio to the fullest. Doesn't surprise me that non-professional music nerds like Revolver better.
>>
>>73544371
Yep, with Magical Mystery Tour in second.
Thread posts: 63
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.