[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Learning to play the piano

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: piano.jpg (46KB, 375x499px) Image search: [Google]
piano.jpg
46KB, 375x499px
No idea if anyone on this board plays instruments. I have played cello for a long time and am starting on the piano using pic related. I plan on practicing 3-5 hours a day until I have to go back to uni where I will be lucky to get 1 hour a day. I really want to be able to play suit bergamasque, how long should I expect this to take? Anyone else starting out on piano? Any advice or ideas for supplemental material?
>>
I'm starting out on the piano but unlike you I'm doing it so I can play sick jazz electric piano riffs and not classical music
>>
>>73543919
That's cool. I wouldn't mind knowing how to play sick jazz riffs. What are you using to start? Do you have a teacher?
>>
I played cello ages 9-18, which set me up to be pretty good at guitar and bass. I can play drums pretty well too.

But reading/playing two different things at the same time, with mirrored fingerings and in different clefs, blows my mind. Very difficult for me. I have a lot of trouble singing and playing instruments at the same time as well.

Good luck OP. I wish I didn't think piano was gay growing up. Singing too. Now I realize how much more logical the layout is and how much easier it makes understanding chords and theory in general.
>>
>>73544087
I use the jazz books from my university and practice reading music out of them
I'm still learning theory and focus on watching other people play improv and try to focus on what they're doing and try to emulate it
Thankfully in the modern age we have countless amounts of people who put their camera right up to the piano so you can see for yourself exactly what they are playing for yourself and pause the video all you like and rewatch it how ever many times you want
Not only that but chord finders are a thing too that I've found pretty useful
There are countless websites where you just type what notes are being played and it will tell you what the chord is
>>
You people planning to play an instrument as old as the piano should learn from classical music first. That's why études exist.

The technique is important too, so you should get a teacher. Get some Thompson études and read Seymour Fink's Mastering Piano Technique. Only by doing those you'll achieve a decent level.
>>
idk any suit bergamasque, but you'll have an advantage over other noobs by already knowing the theory and being able to read music. piano isnt played like any other instrument so no real technique advantages.
>>
>>73544727
I can see the etude collection for each grade. Do you recommend getting these or the John Thompson modern piano course books? Are those the best etude books to get? Do you know anything about the books i'm using right now?
>>
>>73545256
Modern piano course book, those are really basic, you can focus on technique with them (dynamics, tempo, articulation)

What books are you using again?
>>
>>73545484
Alfred's basic adult piano course.
>>
>>73545721
Spot on.
Like I said, technique is important. Keep practicing those, and keep an eye on expression. Check the technique book I mentioned too, and be sure to record yourself and learn to self-evaluate your progress.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.