[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is this the greatest pop album of all time?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 3

File: Hounds_of_love.jpg (9KB, 316x316px) Image search: [Google]
Hounds_of_love.jpg
9KB, 316x316px
Is this the greatest pop album of all time?
>>
>>73533333
>pet sounds
>the dreaming
>ziggy stardust
>>
>>73533333
>Is this the greatest pop album of all time?
>Is this the greatest album of all time?

ftfy. No, but it's up there.
>>
>>73533333
No. The Dreaming is.
>>
>>73533365
>>Is this the greatest album of all time?
>ftfy. No, but it's up there.
nice meme
>>
>>73533333
It probably is even tho I prefer The Dreaming personally
>>
>>73533377

>meme

I wish <19 would leave /mu/
>>
>>73533406
then go away
>>
>>73533333
A lot of Kate Bush threads lately. Is this becoming /mu/core?
>>
>>73533352
>>73533376
>>73533403
Imagine being enough of a contrarian to actually think The Dreaming is better than Hounds of Love
>>
>>73533516
>people who disagree with me are contrarians
nah bud
>>
>>73533333
No. Visions and Art Angels are superior in every way except the covers.
>>
The Dreaming is her least "pop" album. So in that context the answer to OPs question is YES
Anyways her "holy trinity" (the dreaming, hounds and sensual world) is flawless

>>73533471
You must be new here
>>
>>73533516
I honestly couldn't say which one is better. They're very different, but they're both clearly Kate's best.

I just usually reserve to saying Hounds is better because Cloudbusting is my favorite song of hers. But Hounds is also basically two EPs stapled together, so it suffers in consistency compared to The Dreaming. Plus, Get Out of My House is my favorite closer.

>>73533643
>The Dreaming is her least "pop" album.
I'd say Aerial is less pop.
Also her Holy Trinity for me is Never for Ever -> Hounds of Love.
>>73533333
quints confirm.

Honestly though, Pet Sounds is pretty close/a bit higher.
>>
>>73533541
>people with obvious contrarian opinions are contrarians
yes

>>73533699
The Dreaming is definitely fantastic, but you saying that it's more consistent than Hounds of Love makes your argument ridiculous.
>>
>>73533699
But never for ever wasn't produced by her and also contains one of her worst songs (Violin)
You're right about Aerial, but no one expected to be a pop album in the first place.
The dreaming is too experimental to be considered pop, same can be said about the 9th wave so that leaves us with the sensual world, which is criminally underrated.
That being said, it's a matter of taste. But Hounds broke more barriers, no one was making accesible sample based music at the time and cloudbursting might just be the perfect pop song

btw, recently got hounds of love on vinyl and holy shit, some songs sound completely different (better)
>>
>>73533778
I just mean consistent thematically. Dreaming starts off dense and percussive and it mostly stays that way through the whole record (Suspended in Gaffa is the only real outlier). Hounds of Love has two moods reserved for two different sides of the record.
>>
>>73533643
Ive been here since 2012, but nice to ask.
>>
>>73533333
yes
nice quints op
>>
>>73533863
I like Violin. I was genuinely surprised when people started saying they hated that song.
Honestly I'd say all of her records but Aerial are pop- even the Dreaming has plenty of accessible material (There Goes a Tenner, Gaffa, Sat in Your Lap) that stays mostly within the realm of Never for Ever's mood. Certainly Hounds is, even if it's just 1/2 a pop album.
>>
>>73533954
Violin is just a generic rock song, I get what she was going for but it's not something you wanna go back to, like Rockets Tail, just to name another of her "rock-ish" tunes that is far more enjoyable imo
>>
>>73533699
Fuck. Are you me?
>>
>>73533333
Question: how come an orchestral pop album from the 80s was so successful?
>>
>>73533333
Digits confirm, good man. It's probably her most accomplished work but Aerial may be my favorite album of hers, if only for the sky of honey suite alone.
>>
>>73535366
it was made by an artist already established in the mainstream published on a major label. it being fucking amazing also helped a fair bit
>>
>>73535366
It was highly ambitious and creative but still catchy and accessible enough for mainstream audiences, so it won over everyone. It hit that sweet spot between artistry and accessibility that's really hard to balance.
>>73535408
This too.
>>
>>73535408
Did she make more poppy music before this?
>>
>>73535480
yes lad. her first single was a 1# hit in a bunch of Euro countires and her albums sold very well
>>
>>73535480
>>73535505

The funny thing is that her first two or three albums are more rock-oriented or have more rockish songs.
>>
>>73535541
so they're not worth listening?
>>
>>73535366
Define orchestral
Most instruments where sampled, she even used her sampled voice in many tracks. It's as orchestral as early Pet Shop Boys in that regard, which isn't a bad thing, specially because it came out 3 years before PSB debut

>btw, am I the only one that noticed how much she influenced early Coil? "The dreamers" (b side of the single) and the middle part of ninth wave is very coil-ish. John admited being a die hard fan
>>
>>73535550
>orchestral sound
>>
>>73535549
all her albums are worth listening to up until The Sensual World. then it's kind of for hardcore fans only
>>
>>73535549
The first one it is. It has some great songs like Wuthering Heights. The third, Never for Ever is also good but her best ones are The Dreaming and Hounds Of Love, that was her peak.
>>
>>73533333
Here's a bit of trivia for you.
Hounds of Love is one of the first albums to use the Fairlight CMI.
That very same Fairlight was procured by Jhonn Balance and Peter Christopherson of Coil, and they used the same samples Kate used on Hounds of Love on their own albums.

Jhonn later stole some lyrics from Hounds of Love on "Queens of the Circulating Library",
>its in the trees its coming
spoken by Thighpaulsandra mother, Dorothy Lewis a opera singer.
>>
>>73535692
lol
did you type this while I was typing this?>>73535550

magik is real
>>
By a woman, yes.
>>
File: Fairlight_CMI-IIx.jpg (136KB, 1000x663px) Image search: [Google]
Fairlight_CMI-IIx.jpg
136KB, 1000x663px
>>73535836
I guess I must have, lol.
>>
>>73536054
so cool
>>
>Nookie - Limp Bizkit
>>
>>73536025
Great! What's your favorite pop album by a man.
>>
File: Love_-_forever_changes.jpg (53KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
Love_-_forever_changes.jpg
53KB, 300x300px
it's up there, but the best pop album of all time is this
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.