[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Weekly Release General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 4

Weekly Release General:

Here is a thread to discuss any of the plentiful albums that were released on this fine day.

Standouts:

>Vince Staples - Big Fish Theory
>King Gizzard & the Lizard Wizard - Murder of the Universe
>Laurel Halo - Dust
>Algiers - The Underside of Power
>Jeff Tweedy - Together At Last
>Radiohead - OK Computer: OKNOTOK 1997-2017
>DJ Khaled - Grateful

Please let me know if I missed anything.
>>
Oh boy. Homage is pretty damn good.
>>
Guerilla Toss - GT Ultra
digital release after vinyl
2/5 which is passable
>>
Pretty solid release from Vince. I love what he did with the production, but the overall product seems to blend into itself a lot. The main reason this release feels samey is that there isn't really any standout hooks, verses, moments or beats. It's continuously always running at a B/B+, which kind of makes it forgettable after my first listen. I'll keep coming back to it as I love Vince, so hopefully with repeated listens I'll pick up on some highlights. 7.243/10

>>73525885
How does your rating system work?
>>
>>73526051
4.5/5 is reserved for aoty which I'll make that decision in December if I'm lucky and change one 4/5 retroactively.
4/5 excellent
3/5 very good
>>
Oh and I also don't really use the other half points except for special distinction to draw attention to them.
>>
>>73526143
Oh, ok. That makes sense.

Have you given many 4s so far?
>>
>>73526193
About 50 for this year so far.

I'm gonna go ahead and say 4/5 for Ex Eye that came out tonight but I'm gonna let it sit before I make it permanent.
>>
>>73526314
50? That's a lot, how many from the year do you have rated total?

Also Colin Stetson in a metal band seems pretty fun. I'm only interested in the first three albums in my OP this week so I might give it a listen if I have time for a fourth.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PoJKpE165_w&t=8s

this dropped today, used to see his old stuff posted here but he changed names
>>
>>73526399
>used to see his old stuff posted here but he changed names
What was his old name?
>>
>>73526469
contrabox
>>
>>73526536
>contrabox
Doesn't ring a bell.

From google it looks like it'll be bandcamp bedroom folk, which can be pretty cool. I'll check out if it's worth listening to once I'm done with this King Giz album.
>>
File: 6490461.jpg (36KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
6490461.jpg
36KB, 300x300px
This might be an unpopular opinion, but on first listen, I think this may be their worst release since Oddments. The long sprawling, repetitive and improvised-but-not-really sound that they've been doing since the first half of I'm In Your Mind Fuzz is well and truly played out now.

The spoken word parts don't really add much to the record when the only themes present are some stoner fantasy bullshit that basically equates to them holding up sporks and repeatedly shouting funny sounding words.

4.112/10
>>
>>73526376
129 counting the 4 that aren't on rym and I've heard at least twice that many. My three 5/5 are older albums.

https://rateyourmusic.com/~Androol
>>
>>73527029
>https://rateyourmusic.com/~Androol
Oh, cool. I'll stalk this for a bit then.

What did you end up thinking of that Ride album? As I see there's no rating for it.
>>
>>73527074
I was leaning a 3/5 and yeah I really need to listen again and make an official rating. Especially since I'm not a big fan of the new Slowdive I should really have that on there for comparison.
>>
>>73527120
>3/5
Ok, that's not bad. I still haven't listened to it yet as I could never really get into their acclaimed stuff.

I didn't mind that Slowdive album though, I've given it 3-4 listens so far and although it drags on a bit and there's nothing really great about it, it's a pretty solid release.
>>
>>73527213
To be fair I only heard Slowdive once or twice awhile ago so I could always change my mind. I should really have a proper head to head with them and Ride. Although maybe I'm getting carried away with the comparison and they're really not that similar.
>>
>>73527365
>Although maybe I'm getting carried away with the comparison and they're really not that similar.
While I haven't heard that Ride album yet, if it's like their old stuff then I'd imagine the only similarity is each band's respective legacy.
>>
>>73526927
is this 3 decimal place rating a joke? I genuinely can't tell
>>
>>73528085
It's a joke with a pinch of sincerity to it.
>>
>>73528160
ok GOOD
>>
>>73526051
It might be your tripfag ears but there are definitely stand out beats and hooks on this album. It retains the same sound but that's the consistency is the beauty of it, you'll see on repeat listens.
>>
>>73528267
I'm currently on my second listen (up to Homage) and I'm already agreeing with you.

It's going to take me a while to properly learn this album, but it seems like it's going to really grow on me.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.