[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ITT: Bands who peaked with their debut

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 6

I'll start. Ten was a brilliant album, everything they've put out since has been dull middle of the road dad rock.
>>
File: PearlJam-NoCode.jpg (55KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
PearlJam-NoCode.jpg
55KB, 300x300px
>>73510749
No Code is a way better album than their debut

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3QprJjmCZY
>>
>>73510749
Chester Bennington and the Linkin Parks
>>
File: Bloc Party.jpg (161KB, 955x535px) Image search: [Google]
Bloc Party.jpg
161KB, 955x535px
How did they drop off so much, so quickly?
>>
>>73510883
A HEART OF STONE

A SMOKING GUN
>>
Obvious answers:

The Stone Roses
The Libertines
The Strokes
Arctic Monkeys
Oasis
Kings Of Leon

Seems to be a ladcore thing to put out a brilliant debut album and then spend the rest of your career writing average shite.
>>
File: 1494555240016-mu.jpg (52KB, 266x375px) Image search: [Google]
1494555240016-mu.jpg
52KB, 266x375px
DEVO is a good example
>>
>>73511057
>Oasis
Morning Glory is definitely better than Definitely Maybe
>>
>>73510749
I disagree. Ten is awful, dull stadium rock. Vs. and Vitalogy are a lot better.
>>
>>73511057
Yes
Debatable
Debatable
No
Yes
I wouldn't know
>>
File: shrug_emoji.jpg (21KB, 900x331px) Image search: [Google]
shrug_emoji.jpg
21KB, 900x331px
>>73511160
I think the first 5 pearl jam albums are all really great

Binaural has some gems here and there too
>>
>>73510749
>dull middle of the road dad rock
>vs
fucking kys
>>
>>73510883
that's sadly true because silent alarm is one of my favorite albums, but hey, a weekend in the city is decent
>>
>>73511185
The second Libertines album was full of filler, and don't get me started on the overproduced piece of garbage that was Anthems For Doomed Youth.

Every Strokes album since Is This It? has been largely average, apart from the first half of First Impressions Of Earth.

Arctic Monkeys were putting out consistently good albums up until the bloated AM, but their debut is still GOAT.
>>
File: gnr.jpg (1MB, 2560x1708px) Image search: [Google]
gnr.jpg
1MB, 2560x1708px
Probably the most obvious case (the Illusions were still good though)
>>
>>73511221
I AM TRYING TO BE HEROIC IN AN AGE OF MODERNITY
>>
>>73511241
I don't really see a point in arguing about this, but I'll state my opinions.

The Libertines' s/t does indeed have a lot of filler, but its few great tracks are just as good, if not better than anything on the debut. That said, I do agree that the debut is a much stronger album.
I STRONGLY disagree about the reunion album. Lyrically, it's the best thing they ever did IMO, and while musically the debut is stronger, I probably enjoy the reunion album more. I don't think it's overproduced, largely because they always had really clean production. The debut has pretty standard production for the early 00s "garage rock revival" thing.

The Strokes' debut is their most consistent album, but even though the later albums were, they had more interesting tracks. Still, I generally think the Strokes are an overrated band.

The Arctic Monkeys debut sounds too light, disposible, and unexceptional to me. Alex Turner became a much better songwriter later on, and while the Arctic Monkeys' later albums are uneven, they had a few really strong tracks. The Submarine EP is the strongest thing I've heard from him. AM was overproduced and mediocre, but people are too harsh. It was just sort of a disposible GQ-core pop rock album.
>>
>>73511354
*even though their later albums were uneven

On The Strokes
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.