[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/prog/ - Progressive Rock General | Inaccessible albums edition

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 8

File: MI0001689835.jpg (38KB, 500x490px) Image search: [Google]
MI0001689835.jpg
38KB, 500x490px
General to discuss the genre of progressive rock, including its sub-genres or any associated genres which may fit the criteria of "prog". Discuss prog rock bands, share works of prog, or (best of all) argue over whether band "X" is truly progressive or not.

>What is progressive rock?!
"Progressive rock (shortened as prog; sometimes called art rock, classical rock or symphonic rock) is a broad subgenre of rock music that developed in the United Kingdom and United States throughout the mid to late 1960s. Initially termed "progressive pop", the style was an outgrowth of psychedelic bands who abandoned standard pop traditions in favour of instrumentation and compositional techniques more frequently associated with jazz, folk or classical music. Additional elements contributed to its "progressive" label: lyrics were more poetic, technology was harnessed for new sounds, music approached the condition of "art", and the studio, rather than the stage, became the focus of musical activity, which often involved creating music for listening, not dancing."

>where can I learn more about the genre?
http://progarchives.com/

Featured album: "Godbluff" by Van der Graaf Generator (1975)
>>
Any good recent releases? Any good releases in the next two or three months?
>>
File: 2017 prog.jpg (439KB, 1269x1100px) Image search: [Google]
2017 prog.jpg
439KB, 1269x1100px
>>73494427
>>
>>73494427
King Crimson's Radical Action is pretty good; a bit on the expensive side but you get a lot of music.

Kansas released a new album last year which was pretty meh. Depends on how recent you're talking. Steven Wilson released a really good album in 2015 called "Hand Cannot Erase" that actually could become a seminal album of the genre.
>>
>>73494455
2 of those aren't out yet
>>
>>73494455
>Return to Ommadawn

What?! I think I might have actually just spontaneously came.
>>
>>73494455
>>73494458
Thanks for the info, I might check out Retun to Ommadawn.
>>
Bumping with a great prog album you should totally check out.
>>
File: rockbottom.jpg (6KB, 225x224px) Image search: [Google]
rockbottom.jpg
6KB, 225x224px
Anyone knows something similar to this? I've been looking quite a while but nothing comes close really
>>
>>73495694
It's the epitome of the Canterbury Scene. There's probably nothing that's going to be like it. The closest sounding albums to Rock Bottom would Soft Machine's Third and Matching Mole's self-titled album. Robert Wyatt was a member of both bands.
>>
>>73494375
>Godbluff
>Inaccessible album
It was my introduction to VdGG, and made me a fan instantly. 4 killer tracks, but especially Arrow & Undercover Man. Still my favourite album of theirs.
>>
>>73496310
Was about to post this. It felt like a really easy album to get into. When I think of prog that isn't very accessible I think more of Gentle Giant.
>>
>>73494427
Big Big Train's latest release, Grimspound, is pretty great if you want a modern take on classic Genesis.

https://open.spotify.com/album/3YBGYpPgEcC8Tszi9ufIYS
>>
>>73495694
>>73495782
If it's Canterbury scene, then he might enjoy Caravan or Camel.
>>
>>73496310
>>73496384
Godbluff was my first VDGG too, but I had to listen to it several times before I could really appreciate the album. I could always get through "Undercover Man" but beyond there I always had to replay.

Maybe it's not as much inaccessible as it is rife in depth.
>>
Best prog song involving gates lads need my synth fix >:)
>>
https://coredelay.bandcamp.com/album/sleeping-chamber-music
this is literally prog
>>
What's the best singalong prog track and why is it pilgrims?
>>
>>73497714
but it's no rock
>>
File: MI0002103676.jpg (26KB, 500x487px) Image search: [Google]
MI0002103676.jpg
26KB, 500x487px
>They never made anything like the opening track again
JUST FUCKING KILL ME SENPAI
>>
>>73498945
Because prog songs are usually not made to sing along to?
>>
File: look at the fool.jpg (167KB, 250x350px) Image search: [Google]
look at the fool.jpg
167KB, 250x350px
>>73498945
>Not Caravan's "Love to Love You"
>>
File: IMG_4933.jpg (40KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4933.jpg
40KB, 300x300px
This was... dark
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.