[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/prog/ - Progressive Rock General | Inaugural Edition

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 5

File: MI0001852093.jpg (58KB, 500x493px) Image search: [Google]
MI0001852093.jpg
58KB, 500x493px
General to discuss the genre of progressive rock, including its sub-genres or any associated genres which may fit the criteria of "prog". Discuss prog rock bands, share works of prog, or (best of all) argue over whether band "X" is truly progressive or not.

>What is progressive rock?!
"Progressive rock (shortened as prog; sometimes called art rock, classical rock or symphonic rock) is a broad subgenre of rock music that developed in the United Kingdom and United States throughout the mid to late 1960s. Initially termed "progressive pop", the style was an outgrowth of psychedelic bands who abandoned standard pop traditions in favour of instrumentation and compositional techniques more frequently associated with jazz, folk or classical music. Additional elements contributed to its "progressive" label: lyrics were more poetic, technology was harnessed for new sounds, music approached the condition of "art", and the studio, rather than the stage, became the focus of musical activity, which often involved creating music for listening, not dancing."

>where can I learn more about the genre?
http://progarchives.com/

Featured album: "In the Court of the Crimson King" by King Crimson (1969)
>>
File: a3885685112_10.jpg (264KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
a3885685112_10.jpg
264KB, 1200x1200px
I'm gonna keep shilling this album. It's really good
>>
>>73487210
name?
>>
>>73487228
Komara by Komara. It has Pat Mastelotto in it and it shows. If you like 90s and 00s Crimson, you will like this. It's like industrial, avantgarde jazz, and metal all rolled into one amazing album.
>>
>>73487210
>>73487261
do you have any DL links senpai
>>
>>73487261
Oh awesome, didn't know. I'll give it a listen since i've got nothing better to do lol.

Saw Crimson for the first time three days ago. What an experience.
>>
>when you finally break through the "golden period" meme and listen to all of KC, Yes, Rush, and Soft Machine
why do people even do this shit
these bands still crank out fucking god tier albums to this day
>>
just saw king crimson live on saturday

was fucking amazing would witness again
>>
>>73487337

I can't think of a more overrated band than Rush in any genre tbqh
>>
>>73487316
In oakland? i was there 2 nigga>>73487352
>>
>>73487354
Rush isn't overrated, although a lot of their 90's and 00's stuff is pretty lacking. Clockwork Angels was a solid comeback.

>>73487352
We were in the same building - Fox Theater in Oakland right?
>>
>>73487294
Couldn't find any download links for ye but it's on spotify and youtube
>>73487316
Nice dude, I'm seeing them July 9th. Saw them in 2014 and loved it. I've been hearing great things about this tour and I can't wait. How was the concert?
>>
Post current jams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xllkOEVOFA
>>
>>73487337
Preaching to the choir man. I genuinely put Thrak in my top five crim albums
>>
>>73487364
Yeah, the one with Sailor's Tale?

I heard they played the first two parts of Larks Tongues the next day with Fracture. Was pretty sad, but we got to hear Letters, Sailors Tale and Fallen Angel while they didnt.
>>
>>73487354
>see clockwork angels tour
>they play a bunch of new stuff, pretty great
>they take a break because they're old farts
>my hype starts to wind down, kinda disappointed they're only sticking with new material (even though their latest album was fantastic)
>they come back and play the entirety of Moving Pictures and 2112
you can literally never convince me they're overrated
>>
>>73487382
Amazing. Set list varies immensely, but regardless you're gonna get a great concert. The band is playing better than ever, and they kick any modern day band's ass.

I got first row balcony at the Fox, directly head on to the stage; was worth the money.
>>
>>73487382
thats ok senpai I think I might actually be a buycuck and purchase it anyway
>>
>>73487389
If you're a fan of early 70's Japanese acid rock.. they really aren't prog, but there's a good mix of psychedelic and classic rock (think Cactus or Mountain)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3zI0De0jtc
>>
>>73487406
>>73487379

Everytime I post my opinion on Rush people tell me how wrong I am. Maybe I have to accept they're pretty good, just never clicked for me and I tried to get into em. The sound it too close to the cheesy neo-prog of the early 2000's for me; drums too tight, boring synth leads, poppy riffs, almost glam rock vocals etc. but I kinda liked some parts of 2112 though
>>
>>73487454
Weirdly enough, i think you sounds give Grace Under Pressure a spin. Its 80s as hell but there is a powerful darkness underneath it all reflecting the uncertainty and fear of the cold war era.
>>
>>73487454
Depends on what kind of prog you're into... have you ever listened to their 1975 album Caress of steel? It's a pretty good prog album with an epic.

Which of their albums have you listened to?

>>73487261
Noticed this CD is only released in Slovakia according to Discogs... is it rare? Like the sound a lot.
>>
>>73487496
This. Just listen to the two lead singles from the album, "Distant Early Warning" and "Red Sector A". Yes it's 80's as all hell like all Rush from the decade, but it's really good.

Also, Signals might very well be their best album ever. I'd give that a listen too.
>>
>>73487401
I thought the set they played was amazing, and I was just happy to get to see my waifu fripp live

But I swear they played red twice
>>
>>73487500
I actually hate CoS. Its too tryhard and the prog epic discipline isn't there yet, a skill they master on 2112-Hemispheres
>>
>>73487379
yup fox theater, was in the balcony
>>
>>73487442

Really into early 70's japanese stuff yeah. Probably a bit too classic rock for me but I'll give it a listen. Samurai is one of my favourites from the era. Original pressings go for like $3,000+ now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AnYukCbS-g
>>
>30stm's first album was proggy space rock
what
>>
>>73487523
Yeah, Hemispheres is the best album. The epic, the two short tracks, and Strangiato make for probably the best prog album of 1978.

Gotta give Rush credit, they made good prog albums by the time acts like KC, ELP, and Yes were dead in the water.
>>
>>73487500
>>73487496

Havn't listened to either of those, I'll give em a shot. Permanent Waves, Farewell to Kings and Moving Pictures didn't do much for me and I hated the S/T so I kind of gave up at that point
>>
>>73487538
>>73487538
Ever listened to Bi Kyo Ran? If you like Crimson, you'll love them - they're pretty much a tribute band. Bought a 70's Japanese pressing of Crimson's "In the Wake" at this collector's house and he showed me a lot of the stuff he collected while living in Tokyo.
>>
>>73487581
The S/T is completely unlike anything else in their discography. Peart wasn't even in the band yet, and he's their lyricist.

If you didn't like A Farewell i don't think you'll like Hemispheres....
>>
>>73487590

I usually go into listening to early 80's prog a bit negatively but this is pretty sweet. Digging the string instruments and that Fripp-like guitar
>>
>>73487706
Yeah i was impressed too when I first listened...

It's amazing how deep prog rock really is. You can infinitely find unique pieces of music that resonate.
>>
File: frrrr.jpg (8KB, 259x194px) Image search: [Google]
frrrr.jpg
8KB, 259x194px
>>73487777
fucking checked
>>
File: hmmmm.png (157KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
hmmmm.png
157KB, 512x512px
>>73486851
Is Mr. Bungle Prog?
>>
>>73487777

For sure. That's what's kept me so interested in progressive rock for so long. No matter how much I dig on blogs and discogs, theres always new bands and sounds I've never heard. Not to mention all the folk prog/fusion crossover stuff that seems almost endless too and all sounds so different.

This blog is fucking amazing for obscure stuff, but you have to sift through a lot to find whatever it is you're into (also that a good portion of it is obscure and forgotten for a reason). There's heaps of stuff on here that hardly shows up anywhere else though

http://ezhevika.blogspot.com.au/
>>
What do y'all think of that wishbone ash?
>>
>>73487829

Like a lot of prog bands, first three or four albums are very solid but by '77 or so they burn out and turn into pop rock. Argus is an all time great still
>>
>>73487795
I think Kek wills the everlasting nature of prog.

>>73487823
Sounds interesting, I'll def check it out. Don't forget the infinite amount of albums you CONSIDER to be prog too haha
>>
Posting this amazing album that you should TOTALLY check out, especially if you're into early 70's classic rock. Not very proggy but a solid fusion of Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath.

NOTE: If you're thinking of buying the original LP, reconsider, because a copy will cost you a few thousand dollars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8bGgtU1bwA
>>
>>73487800
They play complex rock music influenced by a plethora of genres outside of rock so it's not like the label doesn't make sense.
>>
Can anybody rec any bands similar to The Mars Volta? Particularly in lyrics/vocals.
>>
>>73487919

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k97XFduGcRk
>>
>>73487454
listen to The Necromancer
>>
Pink Floyd is the only band i listen to
>>
>>73487954
Necromancer is a meh track imo - part 1 is pretty good, 2 is a bit too heavy especially for Geddy, and 3 is a pretty good ending with a By-Tor cameo.

>>73487968
I wish I were you... still able to experience legendary prog albums for the first time. Dude, go beyond the Floyd (even though they're awesome). If you like space rock like Floyd I recommend Hawkwind.
>>
File: front.jpg (70KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
front.jpg
70KB, 500x500px
I'm trying to shill people into Iamthemorning. Love this chamber/prog duo. Really beautiful music.
Thread posts: 48
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.