[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why Is Jazz Put On The Same Level As Classical Music?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

File: 5d23713c5fb5.jpg (32KB, 350x350px) Image search: [Google]
5d23713c5fb5.jpg
32KB, 350x350px
Its something I don't understand. Music snobs lump Jazz and Classical together as the "superior" music as opposed to Popular music. Classical I understand- it has lasted all these years for a reason. But Jazz, I don't get it. Jazz has a lot more in common with Popular music- it just sounds like a bunch of musicians got together and can't decide on which song to play. Also, little emotion in Jazz.

I have nothing against Jazz musicians- I do agree it takes skill and all of that. But why is it considered an "elevated" form of music? This is true in most colleges and universities even- they have a Jazz Department. They do not have a Country and Western department. Its complete opposite of Classical music to my ears. I don't hate Jazz, to me its nice for background music at a coffee shop or bookstore, but to sit down and listen to it , no thanks!

In Classical there is more emotion usually, although I don't understand I-talian Operas very well. But I see why people respect Classical music as a higher level of music- and I don't take offense at that. But why Jazz?
>>
File: duke-ellington-2.jpg (421KB, 1536x1020px) Image search: [Google]
duke-ellington-2.jpg
421KB, 1536x1020px
>>
>>73451874
>little emotion in Jazz
yeah, them negroes dont know nuffin about dem emotions
i mean
how could they?
what ever in their history has given them any emotional range?
what?
name something
anything
>>
>>73452372
Stop acting like a passive aggressive bitch, it makes you seem like an idiot.
>>
>>73451874
Not all music snobs do that, only those who like jazz.
>>
If you listened to jazz, you might not feel that way.

Like, improvisation is really cool. Jazz is *pure* feeling, it doesnt exclude feeling but tries to reach it directly. That's why there's so much folk-esque and world jazz out there

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FnW75Wl1Vs
>>
>>73452456
whereas you come across as someone id really like to talk about music with.

what did you rate old boots new dirt?
>>
>>73452520
10/10 Best album ever
>>
>>73451874
because it's improvised theres arguably much more emotion in jazz, each instrument is each performers individual voice speaking
>it just sounds like a bunch of musicians got together and can't decide on which song to play.
maybe listen to more of it because that sentence is just dumb
>>
>>73452567
ackchually that sentence was a great and hilarious burn

>>73452547
is that what you put on when youre fucking your sister behind the shed?
>>
>>73452589
What's wrong with you, why are you so angry?
>>
> I don't hate Jazz, to me its nice for background music at a coffee shop or bookstore, but to sit down and listen to it , no thanks!
That means you do haye jazz, faggot.
>>
>>73452645
im hi test
fuck would you know about it?
>>
>>73452935
No, you're retarded.
Or had a bad childhood or something.
Someone who can't control their own emotions is in a certain state of impotence.
>>
>>73452987
no.
youre retarded.
>>
You really are clueless, OP. Maybe try reading a book next time
>>
>>73451874
are you completely ignoring the blues that is one of the most emotional genres ever
>>
>>73451874
>it just sounds like a bunch of musicians got together and can't decide on which song to play. Also, little emotion in Jazz.
so you're not a musician and are unable to appreciate jazz
I found the problem
>>
>>73451874
I agree to some extent. The emotional range of jazz is limited when compared to classical, rock or hip hop, but there's a lot of nuance within its confines.

I also don't think there's a single jazz composer who's superior to Debussy and Ravel, say.

But it's delightful music that I get easily in the mood for and that's all that really matters to me in the end.
>>
lol newfags
>>
File: Billy Lee.gif (1MB, 242x270px) Image search: [Google]
Billy Lee.gif
1MB, 242x270px
>>73454360
>I also don't think there's a single jazz composer who's superior to Debussy and Ravel, say.
>Debussy and Ravel
Is that the best you got, challenger?
>>
>>73451874
there's no emotion in classical music. I'm sorry but it's boring as fuck.
At least jazz has so many variations, such as hard bop, cool, bossa nova and free jazz.

It's not considered elevated form of music. it's music. stop trying to be a pretentious cunt
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.