[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

brother asked a question I couldn't answer

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: neutral milk hotel graffiti.jpg (59KB, 500x595px) Image search: [Google]
neutral milk hotel graffiti.jpg
59KB, 500x595px
I was playing Neutral Milk Hotel in the car, and my brother asked me if the singer was saying he loved Jesus Christ, the savior of our souls; or if the singer was saying "I love you! [to another person, probably Anne Frank] Jesus Christ!" Using the name of Jesus as an exclamation. I realized I didn't know. Has Jeff ever addressed this? Does anyone know?
>>
>>73447582
I think I read somewhere Jeff actually was saying he loved Jesus and wasn't an exclamation. Can't confirm though.
>>
>>73447582
I hope he isn't talking about actual jesus.
>>
>>73447582
he's talking about Jesus. the original lyric was "I love you Linda Sue!" if i remember. Either way, it was about a girl. But he changed it to Jesus Christ to create that jarring effect i believe.
>>
It's art; it can mean whatever you want it to mean.
>>
>>73447582
"I love you, Jesus Christ" is from when Jeff was doing drugs at a Christian camp. He wrote the song "Jesus Christ" which he then tacked on to "Up and Over" (pt.3). You can hear the moment he combines the two on Live At Jittery Joes when someone requests he plays it.
>>
>>73447582
http://pitchfork.com/features/interview/7471-neutral-milk-hotel/

>The thing about me singing about Christ; I’m not saying “I love you Christianity.” I’m not saying “I love all the fucked-up terrible shit that people have done in the name of God.” And I’m not preaching belief in Christ. It’s just expression. I’m just expressing something I might not even understand. It’s a song of confusion, it’s a song of hope, it’s a song that says this whole world is a big dream– and who knows what’s gonna happen.
>>
>>73447671
this is specifically asking about the artist's intent you little postmodern faggot
>>
>>73447678
Thanks man
>>
>>73447678
>bitchfuck.cum
>>
>>73447687
That's not even remotely what post-modernism is about you twat.
>>
File: 971.gif (613KB, 498x498px)
971.gif
613KB, 498x498px
>>73447729
>>
>>73447687
>>73447736
yah, what you are thinking of is "the artist is dead" friendo :)
>>
>>73447729
He's linking an interview that answers the question

>>73447736
It's post-modernism; it can mean whatever you want it to mean.
>>
>>73447787
thats not what post-modernism is, post-modernism is really just extreme skepticism applied to art and philosophy
>>
>>73447814
It's post-modernism; it can mean whatever you want it to mean. You need to get away from this view that you have the only right answer
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.