[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is this shit considered a classic? This shit is so dated

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4

File: Dr Dre - The Chronic.jpg (51KB, 495x500px) Image search: [Google]
Dr Dre - The Chronic.jpg
51KB, 495x500px
Why is this shit considered a classic?

This shit is so dated it physically hurts to listen to.
>>
>>73428359

nostalgia.
>>
Because you didn't get into it when you were in high school and a pothead.

As an adult it doesn't make sense. That type of mentality is only cool to juveniles. I don't skip Dre songs when they come on the radio but I won't go out of my way to play them. I also wouldn't go to a live show because the audience would probably be a bunch of white stoners who think they're black.
>>
>>73428420
That's a good way to put it, omg, not a retard or a meme, good job Anon.
>>
>>73428359
I think the opposite actually. My first time hearing it was 2016,

you can't tell me Nuthin but a G thang isn't timeless like come on dawg
>>
>>73428420
What do aging hip hop heads listen to? I'm sure a lot listen to albums like this due to nostalgia, but some might feel inadequate as they grow and mature
>>
File: MeRn.jpg (28KB, 524x336px) Image search: [Google]
MeRn.jpg
28KB, 524x336px
>>73428359
>Dated means bad
>Seemingly implying 90s-sounding hip hop albums can't sound good
>>
>>73428359
>This shit is so dated it physically hurts to listen to.
It's a lot less dated than 2001.
>>
>>73428359

i agree, this album signalled the end of the golden era
>>
>>73429836
old doesn't always have to mean dated, anon
>>
young'un don't know about rollin a few blunts and hopping in the ride to go the the park ad blow down listening to this whole album
>>
>>73429376
idk man, probably ATCQ or some shit like that
>>
>>73430177
This so much. I can't stand listening to 2001 because of just how damn of the time it sounds. Chronic has some classics that don't sound like they belong to a certain era while that's all 2001 is.
>>
File: christgau4.jpg (24KB, 300x225px) Image search: [Google]
christgau4.jpg
24KB, 300x225px
The Chronic [Interscope, 1992]

The crucial innovation of this benchmark album isn't its conscienceless naturalization of casual violence. It's Dre's escape from sampling. Other rappers, as they are called, have promised to create their own musical environments, usually without revealing how much art and how much publishing fuels their creative resolve. But Dre is the first to make the fantasy pay out big-time. The world he hears in his head isn't the up-to-date P-Funk fools say they hear--that would be too hard. Instead he lays bassline readymades under simulations of Bernie Worrell's high keyb sustain, a basically irritating sound that in context always signified fantasy, not reality--stoned self-loss or, at a best Dre never approaches, grandiose jive. This is bell-bottoms-and-Afros music, its spiritual source the blaxploitation soundtrack, and what it promises above all is boom times for third-rate flautists--sociopathic easy-listening. Even if it's "just pop music," as some rationalize, it's bad pop music. C+
>>
>>73429376
most of those are still in denial
>>
>>73431399
Hip-hop from 1998-2001 sounds unusually more dated than most for whatever reason (the production from that period?)
>>
File: 1480541995890.jpg (145KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
1480541995890.jpg
145KB, 720x960px
>>73428359
>a hip hop album is actually shit
Colour me surprised
>>
>>73431467
Probably has to do with most 90's rap heavily sampling 70's/80's music that still holds up pretty well today and that period you mentioning being a really weird transition period with sampling laws getting much stricter.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.