[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

music that gives you nostalgia for a time you can't remember

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 7

Hey /mu/ why do you think certain genres of music (namely shoegaze, some vaporwave) can evoke such strong feelings of nostalgia in a listener? Not nostalgia for a specific place or time, just a vague sense of distant familiarity... I'm trying to articulate what it is about these genres that evokes this feeling so reliably...

Any songs/albums taht evoke this feeling in you?
>>
>>73425504
Follow up question: do you think it's just because for people our age this music is genuinely nostalgic? I was only born mid 90s but music like this was still playing on the tv and listened to by my older siblings into my early childhood.. maybe it taps into some unconscious memory I have of the leftover shoegaze scene...

Do you think this music evokes the same types of feelings in much older people? Would a 70 year old man listen to souvlaki and feel nostalgic?
>>
File: R-11778-1475170215-9229.jpg (113KB, 600x595px) Image search: [Google]
R-11778-1475170215-9229.jpg
113KB, 600x595px
I think that genres typified by fuzzed out sounds, dense layering, slight pitch shifting, and indistinct vocals often trigger that response because they're somewhat ambiguous noises that can easily trigger memories. The brain latches on to snippets and tiny elements as opposed to focusing on lyrics or a strong melody. Pic related is another album that makes a lot of people nostalgic, I believe for the same reasons.
>>
>Hey /mu/ why do you think certain genres of music (namely shoegaze, some vaporwave) can evoke such strong feelings of nostalgia in a listener?
shoegaze and dream pop use a lot of major and minor 7th and 9th chords. these chords create an ethereal feeling similar to nostalgia. macintosh 420, (the song that caused vaporwave to blow up), samples it's your move by diana ross. that song uses these chords as well. "lofi hip hop" songs tend to sample jazz songs that use these chords a lot as well. if you want that ethereal/nostalgic feel, just use maj and minor 7th and 9th chords.
>>
>>73425589
intredasting
>>
>>73425589
thats cool to know, and yeah I did have macintosh 420 specifically in mind... I wonder why those chords evoke these feelings... I guess that question is impossible to answer
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QuFb2iRhM7M

This gay shit reminds me of a girl

I did experience it but it wasn't as big of a deal as I make it out to be. Just caught the feels for some bitch that gave me a pity fuck for awhile but this BULLSHIT always makes me think about all these bf/gf shit we never did together.
>>
File: 1497015598944.gif (2MB, 1920x1070px) Image search: [Google]
1497015598944.gif
2MB, 1920x1070px
>>73425627
hahaha dude what the fuck are you on about, this isn't your personal blog
>>
File: 1491184735876.png (573KB, 710x842px) Image search: [Google]
1491184735876.png
573KB, 710x842px
>>73425663
>>
>>73425663
woah i havent seen that image in a while
i remember when this was being made
>>
File: tmbg2.jpg (30KB, 375x255px) Image search: [Google]
tmbg2.jpg
30KB, 375x255px
I feel a lot of nostalgia when I listen to They Might Be Giants, not because I was alive in the late eighties/early nineties of their peak, but because they were my favorite band when I was young in the early oughts. Same for the Beatles and the 60's, of course.
>>
>>73425504
I actually bought this when it came out, I had gotten the singles before, I lived in San Francisco at the time, I was extremely depressed

I got MBV isn't anything also

There was a really cool store that doesn't exist anymore, the guy would order a lot of stuff from "Creation" the label

I see people discussing shoegaze all the time here, like they are knowledgeable

No one ever mentioned The Telescope, the 2nd album S/T, that album is much more important that the two "standards" it came out at the same time

That was 25 years ago, still listen to those album once in a while
>>
>>73425625
>I wonder why those chords evoke these feelings
this is a gross oversimplification, but 7th chords (that aren't domniant 7th chords) make the chords a mixture of happy and sad. adding a maj 7th to a major chord makes it slightly more dissonant and thus more sad. the reverse happens with a min 7th. 9th chords add a perfect fifth to the perfect fifth in a chord it almost feels like two chords being played at once. especially when you have the maj/min 7th and the 9th.
>>
File: a4087775263_10.jpg (117KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
a4087775263_10.jpg
117KB, 800x800px
I guarantee that this will do the trick

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LL998ajnjN4&t=804s
>>
>>73425580
>I think that genres typified by fuzzed out sounds, dense layering, slight pitch shifting, and indistinct vocals often trigger that response because they're somewhat ambiguous noises that can easily trigger memories.

I think you might be onto something here. I think as a really little kid your curious little brain is still picking up on very mundane sounds and sensations that we otherwise block out as adults. Little things like the buzz of the tv or the hum of car. I know for me a lot of my earliest memories are completely inconsequential things and I think its these fragments of sensations that shoegaze taps into.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsTKUrcLR2I
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loFLdYM79gY
>>
>>73426023
I don't think you get the point of this thread.
The idea is that certain music can make you feel nostalgia but for no clear reason. It's not about songs with lyrics that make you nostalgic or talk about the good old days. We're trying to pin down what makes certain types of music trigger nostalgia aside from the obvious bits like personal association or lyrical content.
>>
I guess they feel 'dreamlike'. But the more I think about it the less that word makes sense. My dreams don't feel or sound like a shoegaze song. I guess its more like remembering a dream. Like you can't remember the main events but you still remember the vague sensation of the dream. Because shoegaze is so wishy washy you cant latch onto any one specific melody or lyric, you only remember the sensation. food for thought..
>>
File: 2814.jpg (415KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
2814.jpg
415KB, 1200x1200px
>>73425504
Unironically one of my favorite albums. True Love is a masterpiece
>>
>>73426585
This was originally gonna be the album I was gonna use for the thread but 4chin wouldnt let me upload it for some reason
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.