[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/shugazi/ - Shoegaze General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 236
Thread images: 43

File: me.jpg (666KB, 1000x800px) Image search: [Google]
me.jpg
666KB, 1000x800px
Discuss vacuum serenades, lads.
>>
what did everyone think of the new Ride? I didn't like it very much honestly, and I'm a moderately big defender of early Ride
>>
>>73423609
Straight trash
>>
File: IMG_7496.jpg (1MB, 3888x2592px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7496.jpg
1MB, 3888x2592px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NryXGnk1eNA

happy I tracked it down. I'm sure it was the entry to shoegaze for plenty of others.
>>
>>73423609
For some reason I didn't think I liked it on the first listen. Second time through I realized I actually like it quite a bit.
>3.75/5
>>
https://youtu.be/P_uIC4wlo-U
>>
>>73423609
eh, pretty good, nothing too remarkable though
3/5
>>
File: Panda Riot - Infinity Maps.jpg (69KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
Panda Riot - Infinity Maps.jpg
69KB, 800x800px
Does /shugazi/ like Panda Riot?
Pic related was bretty gud.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yic5rnObwX8
>>
>>73424772
i love panda riot, did the new album drop yet?
>>
>>73424883
Yeah, June 9th.
>>
>Swirlies - Salons
>Rollerskate Skinny - Horsedrawn Wishes
>Windy & Carl - Drawing of Sound
>Fishmans - Long Season
>Mazzy Star - Among My Swan
>Cocteau Twins - Milk & Kisses
>Lovesliescrushing - Xuvetyn
is 1996 the most underrated year for /shugazi/?
>>
>>73426110
>Long Season
>Shoegaze

pretty good year in all though
>>
>>73426157
it's dream pop. which is also part of /shugazi/. cocteau twins are definitely not shoegaze, but they're still /shugazi/
>>
>>73426110
All Natural Lemon & Lime Flavors s/t, too
>>
>>73426197
I suppose I've always considered Long Season to be dub pop, which is something unique, but I see what you mean about it fitting in with shugazi
>>
>>73423873
Can you please post this?
>>
>>73426110

Xuvetyn is so underrated that it's crazy, I wish more people knew about it.
>>
>>73426110
don't forget this one
>>
>>73426110
i tried listening to windy and carl and it just sounded like ambient music with not much shoegaze going on at all
>>
>>73426346
depends what stuff of theirs you listen to
they're mostly ambient but have some dream pop elements
>>
>>73426346
they only have a few albums I would consider shoegaze, mostly because they're making it all with guitars
>>
>>73426306
v0, http://www.mediafire.com/file/h99swcijsks43ma/minimum+electric+design+-++%E5%B9%BB%E6%83%B3%E9%83%B7+Electronic+Shoegazer+%28V0%29.rar
>>
This is Loveless-tier
>>
File: 41TXH8R737L.jpg (19KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
41TXH8R737L.jpg
19KB, 300x300px
>>73427266
Forgot pic
>>
>>73427266
>>73427297
you had one job
>>
>>73427498

I'm high sorry
>>
>>73426603
Thank u
>>
File: 1414033199590.png (47KB, 632x852px) Image search: [Google]
1414033199590.png
47KB, 632x852px
>>73426238
It's definitely dub pop but it's production leads it to being lumped in with dreampop.
Not saying it's wrong, dub pop is truly the "correct" genre but it isn't incorrect calling it dreampop either.

Also I just watched their live show for the first time even though I've loved them for years.
It almost crushed, the final applause, and the first guitar solo in Long Season.

Serious question, I've tripped before but only once and while great I didn't "trip" I feel.
About to get a large amount of shrooms, should I watch the live show again or could I even handle that? I don't know if he knew he was going to die but the emotion he puts in the performance is chilling.

Also any shugazi people have heard during trips would be cool to hear about.
>>
>>73430011
I listened to Spacemen 3 - Sound of Confusion while on mushrooms. It kicked so much ass. There's actually a lot of depth to their guitar sound sometimes even though it's kinda droney
>>
>>73430149
For some reason have never listened to them but have been thinking of them lately, should listen to them finally.
Will add that while I wasn't in control of music the first (and only) time I did listen to Souvlaki Space Station, which was great since I had my head near the subwoofer and could feel everything.
>>
>>73430011
i wouldn't recommend psychedelics, but if you're gonna take them i'd watch it if you're up for it. it's beautiful sober. i've tripped on acid before. it's not overwhelming. you just have to wait for the comedown, which was my favorite part. still wouldn't recommend it though.
>>
>>73430242
>it's beautiful sober
Almost cried when he was playing the solo. Things are kind of shady around his death, pretty sure the official cause is cold-related symptoms, which I know actually happens in Asia but still.
Just the mere thought of a man playing his heart out in his last performance was beautiful.

Also why wouldn't you recommend psychs?
I've tried shrooms about 7 times and only the first was a big dose. Haven't tried anything else.
Tbh it could be a crap shoot, I have chronic depersonalization and derealization, but instead of worsening sides I actually feel more real during and a few weeks after shrooms.
Still the possibility of fucking my shit up though.
Have you had a bad experience or what senpai?
>>
>>73430276
>Also why wouldn't you recommend psychs?
recently a friend of a friend got "stuck" in a trip. i dunno know much about it exactly, but it seems to have caused some damage. it's also been shown to have long term effects. i don't know much about shrooms though.
>I have chronic depersonalization and derealization, but instead of worsening sides I actually feel more real during and a few weeks after shrooms.
have you talked to a doctor about it? normally it's either genetic or trauma related. i believe there are treatments if you are concerned.
>Have you had a bad experience or what senpai?
nah. only did it once, but it was fine. probably not gonna do it again. don't think it's really my thing, but it did make music sound even more beautiful
>>
Thoughts on Drab Majesty?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3Q9TL4RZ1w
>>
>>73430415
>recently a friend of a friend got "stuck" in a trip
Sucks man, EXTREMELY uncommon with actual LSD I've always heard. I know it can happen with DMT far more common, part of the reason I would never touch it.
In the book Electric Koolaid Acid Test (would recommend if you like Hunter Thompson), which is pretty much a long report of the author of One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, his buddy smokes DMT after a long bus trip throughout America.
This results in him thinking he is speeding on a bus for over a year.

>have you talked to a doctor about it?
Nope, I know why I have it and from what I've seen therapy and drugs actually don't help very often (also would never tell my family). Sounds bullshit but it usually just "goes away" for most people, I've had it for 5 years though which is really long since most suffer it for less than 3.

>normally it's either genetic or trauma related
One best friend killed himself, the other OD'd, and my father was in a coma all within a couple weeks. You that feeling of disbelief when something really shitty happens, like that at any second you could wake up or realize none of what's going on is happening? That's how I feel almost every waking second.

>don't think it's really my thing, but it did make music sound even more beautiful

It really does make it so much more profound sounding. And its definitely not for everyone. Personally I feel like (maybe very idiotically) that I have many of the symptoms that people who do too much acid have, so the second I get the feeling they will progress I'll stop.
Also acid isn't my cup of tea I don't think, I've always heard that while acid tripping you are the pilot, but with shrooms you are the passenger.
>>
>>73427297
>>73427498
It is pretty underrated
>>
File: 1486780454007.jpg (12KB, 237x250px) Image search: [Google]
1486780454007.jpg
12KB, 237x250px
> This song would be better if the bass was just a thick layer of distortion

I recently jammed with some friends in a different band who use a bunch of pedals, and they basically forced me to turn my reverb on max.

I enjoy the genre (just getting into Shoegaz, Loveless and Distressor are pretty good) but so far it seems like its completely dominated by guitar and vocals
>>
>>73430488
I use iv heroin to escape my problems, similar in type but not quite in magnitude to your own (various dead friends).. 0/7.
>>
>>73430415
https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/no-link-found-between-psychedelics-and-psychosis1/

The commonly accepted belief is that psychedelic use doesn't give you mental illnesses or psychosis. However, if you're predisposed to mental illness, or going to get those afflictions anyway, psychedelics will bring them to the surface more quickly.

As useless anecdotal evidence, I've never been "stuck" in a trip, and I've ventured very far into psychedelia. Know your family history, do research, test your drugs and you should be fine

LSD and shoegaze is a perfect combination
>>
>>73430510
Goeshagze dominated by vocals haha
>>
File: stereov.jpg (22KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
stereov.jpg
22KB, 300x300px
>>73430516
Shit sucks man.
I honestly don't feel that bad about it, but I know it's because my depersonalization is just my mind's reaction to stress.
The very few times I have moments of clarity, maybe twice a year, my emotions are extremely profound.
I usually have a borderline panic attack and I feel both the greatest and worst possible. I feel the weight of all the shit but I also get an ecstatic manic feeling, like I'm seeing everything new for the first time. It's fucking crazy and I know I need to get past it but my day to day life really isn't bad at all.

Hope you get better brother. What does 0/7 mean?

>>73430520
No family history of mental illness, mine is completely trauma related and honestly I feel like my mind has a pretty good foundation, worst comes to worst during a trip and I might completely feel real again which will be bad at the time but in the long run will be good for me.

Any recs? I've been thinking Live Fishmans, a couple MBV Slowdive classics, and Waiting to Hit by LtE. I listen to dreampop more than I do to shoegaze but I feel like I'll be in more of a shoegaze mood since the distortion and layers are greater.

Also pic related is some fun bossanova/psychedelia. It has some dreamy production, and the linked song is definitely a must for dreampop fans.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qCv2E6o4IQ
>>
>>73430488
sorry man. i can't imagine your pain. i'd be careful with drug use, but know that you always have an alternative subgenre general, on a music board, on a website for chinese cartoons. it's probably worse for your health anyways. i feel like slowcore/dream pop like low would be decent on psychedelics
>>73430520
i've heard enough anecdotal evidence that i think there might be something more to it. especially the abuse of the serotonin receptors. i think in time, especially if this microdosing fad continues, there might be more cases to look at. but the real issue is with people who already have issues. such as this guy who has trauma induced derealization.
>>
>>73430595
My level of recommendation for trying heroin is 0/7

2/10277
4/20554
>>
>>73430664
have you tried to get help. my cousin had was addicted to heroin. OD'd but survived. it's a huge issue in the States at the moment so there are a lot of programs available
>>
>>73430595
>Any recs?
Eyedazzler - Alison's Halo 1992-1996

I put that album on once during a particularly hectic LSD trip. I was 16 and I had eaten three tabs of white-on-white blotter. As soon as I put the album on, the anxiety of the trip vanished.

I laid on my bed and watched red paisley patterns cover my ceiling. I haven't had flow-y visuals like that since
>>
>>73430678
I went to rehab. basically rehab is a place for hardcore addicts to kick back and get off dope for a month. then you're back in the world with all of your junkie friends and your junkie habits and your life fucking sucks and hey, heroin helps with that. if it was easy or there was an easy answer there wouldn't be so many of us out here struggling. i have a job and i don't steal, but i still hate my lifestyle. shugazi helps. it's a bit like being on heroin.
>>
>>73430595
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvTNBbFkq4w
>>
>>73430520
Read your article, honestly I have some mild things happening in the corners of my eyes like that ever for many years now.

>>73430664
Yeah I have no interest in every trying heroin, or any opiate/dissociative/stimulant.
I never want to become addicted to something, I actually am about to leave for gradschool and am pretty pumped.
I have no idea why it just occurred to me finally but that's how my friend overdosed, he tried heroin for the first time and apparently his body didn't take it the right way. I know he was really shittily pressured into it, sucks.

But like this >>73430678 anon said I know it can get tiring to here but we want our bros to be safe. I might have my problems but I am at no risk of overdosing or killing myself (not implying you are), hopefully you can get help and power through.

>>73430609
Thanks bro, really. I'm also very careful, I'm never going to be taking something if I have strange company or am in a foul mood.

/Shugazi/ and sharethreads are the only threads I really go on anymore. AnCo threads used to be comfy but they are shit now since people argue about PW and feel they need to rank art, and Phil threads used to be my favorite part of this site until his wife died.
Hopefully things get better, every time I make a thread about music I get at most 3 replies.

>>73430701
Will check out, thanks.

It just occurred to me how much I want shoegaze/krautrock blended together. I'm thinking of a more distorted dreamy Hissing Fauna, Are You the Destroyer?

>>73430712
Sucks man, I have friends who have kicked benzos and shit and it much have been hard. A few kicked heroin too for awhile, but like you said, you are plopped right back in the environment with the same friends. And god forbid you leave all your friends, because you become depressed and will just do it again.

Hope everything works out bruh.

>>73430717
Will check out, thanks.
>>
>>73430712
that's real sad but no need to germinate the notion there's not an easy answer. there is.
>>
>>73430609
>i've heard enough anecdotal evidence that i think there might be something more to it

My experience makes me think the opposite. I have never actually known anyone to have lasting psychosis from psychedelic use. It would be incredibly unlucky of you to know multiple people who have had severe mental illnesses exacerbated by psychedelic drugs. I'm not saying that's not the case, it just isn't the norm

Microdosing is another story, I'm waiting for research to be done before deciding how I feel about that
>>
>>73430712
i'm sorry man. about the problem. my cousin moved away from our town after her od. i know that's probably not a viable option, but if at all possible i'd try to. on a lighter note, what's some good heroin-core shugazi?
>>
>>73430733
oh? and is this an 'easy answer' coming from someone on the outside who's never been an addict and is shouting in over the glass "just stop using!"?

>>73430739
thanks bud. hahaha, heroin core shugazi lies in the realm of youth lagoon (year of hibernation particularly), dear eloise for sure, maybe even the history of apple pie. alison's halo. that one verve album. mbv obviously, loveless in particular strikes a chord. slowdive i guess.
>>
>>73430767
oh, and can't forget pinkshinyultrablast! awesome band!
>>
>>73430767
>>73430782
thanks for the recs. youth lagoon sounds interesting. i think by easy answer the other guy meant "don't use" but i don't think he means that it's easy to do. just that the solution itself, on paper, is easy.
>>
>>73430731
>It just occurred to me how much I want shoegaze/krautrock blended together
you and me both senpai but I don't think this has ever been done well enough yet (by non-stereolab people).
>this track is awesome but the album itself is eh
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhyKgITI31I
>this track has dat motorik under swaths of reverb but literally none of the rest of the album is like it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pALL2JeOaG4

there's a lot of drone/noise rock with krautrock influences that are almost shoegaze; dunno if you'd be interested in that
>>
can someone post the blackgaze chart
>>
>>73430789
youth lagoon is arguably critical shoegaze. it's such a niche genre that it's a bit of a moot point but it's definitely worth a check out.
>>
I know next to nothing about Shoegaze but like the following:

>Slowdive
>Sol Seppy
>Sad Lovers and Giants

What should I listen to bruhs?
>>
>>73430795
>there's a lot of drone/noise rock with krautrock influences that are almost shoegaze; dunno if you'd be interested in that
Might be. I'm very inexperienced in Krautrock but I love almost all of it I hear and almost everything heavily influenced by it. Stereolab is really dope too.
Will try the tracks and report back.

Also haven't seen almost anyone discuss the newer JAMC. It was a big disappointment for me.
>>
>>73430845
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7moSBLzSJck
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZq6LqNdwj4
>>
>>73427297
>>73427266

true
>>
>>73430893
nice. the shugazi cred is strong with this one.
>>
Silver by Starflyer 59 is also very underrated.

Seriously one of the best shoegaze songs ever written:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVFVE2OUcRE
>>
>>73430795
First track was fun.
Still listening to second one but it is extremely comfy, I'm really digging it. I wish more shoegaze was this "open".
>>
>>73430521

It often is. Not the lyrics but the vocals themselves, many bands just have a wash of unintelligble singing that even when not mixed particularly high can still grab a lot of attention purely due to how the brain prioritizes sounds. I totally get what they're saying.

But yeah, shoegaze is mostly a guitarist's realm.
>>
guys this shoegaze revival is actually not that great
>>
>>73431978
You mean the comeback albums or the general new wave of shoegaze albums?
>>
>>73432039
New wave in particular
>>
>>73423873
this is actually really great i love nip shoegaze
more like this pls
>>
>>73423609
Didn't like it after first listen
Liked it more after second
Hovering around a 6.5/10 still though
>>
>>73430436
I just saw them tonight
They're not shoegaze though.
>>
https://nojoy.bandcamp.com/album/drool-sucker

more like this please
>>
>>73424772
everything about this- from the music to the video just seems like "how close can we get to ripping off mbv without plagiarizing", not hearing anything particularly original or good in this tbqh
>>
File: cover.jpg (253KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
cover.jpg
253KB, 1200x1200px
Anymore like this? https://hoops.bandcamp.com/album/routines
>>
>>73423609

I don't get the dislike. Nowhere and Going Blank Again are my favourites from Ride, and now Weather Diaries too. The audio is a bit too overcompressed, but that's the only bad thing I can say about the album.
>>
File: 1475684146795.png (2MB, 800x3300px) Image search: [Google]
1475684146795.png
2MB, 800x3300px
>>73430803
>>
31 Essential Shoegaze Tracks

http://www.stereogum.com/1945648/31-essential-shoegaze-tracks/franchises/ultimate-playlist/

https://open.spotify.com/user/stereogum/playlist/5d6W1vkEreKqRMNkqenF0F
>>
>>73433504
Not that bad of a list actually.
>>
>>73423609
shoegaze fans dont care about Ride that much,
they are the Alternative Rock/Britpop band of this scene and by that logic,the least unique

Nowhere is a classic and feels like a shoegaze record,Going Blank Again has some of those elements but they don´t define it for the most part...however,it´s well liked because of its happy tone(LTAB,Twisterella,OX4) and the good vibes those songs offer

as for Weather Diaries,I´ve got to give them probs for making a comeback album that doesn´t live because of nostalgia
at first listen,it feels really awkward at first listen,but it grows really quickly

very natural step coming from Ride, they still know how to make dreampop songs(Home is a feeling,Title Track) and I cant complain they dont want to just make walls of sound all the time

7,5/10
I cant take seriously those who would say this is worse than Carnival or Tarantula because I cant barely listen to one or two songs from those records...and WD, flows nicely all the way through upon repeated listens

Highlights:Lannoy Point,All I Want,Weather Diaries,Cali and White Sands
>>
Does anyone have a download for Sea When Absent?
>>
>>73434724
it's not in the archive?
>>
>>73432921
>not hearing anything particularly original or good in this tbqh
Not even "Gold Lines"?
>>
Anything else really incredibly noisy like The Goslings or Xinlisupreme or even shoegaze-influenced harsh noise like I Am a Lake of Burning Orchids?
>>
>>73434724
just bc I like /shugazi/
https://mega.nz/#!Oc1WUCia!6EmK1NP-EvcokLdX-bmniqV-haDJ6i5Ghz6ODKCkkV8

>>73435324
this
>>
>>73435324
Astrobrite?
>>
hit ya boi up with a RIDE new album link
thx
>>
File: 1496920348535.png (159KB, 498x418px) Image search: [Google]
1496920348535.png
159KB, 498x418px
>>73435356
I like you too anon
thank you
>>
Thoughts on pic related?
>>
>>73435324
https://youtu.be/90rIyiuQ5B0
https://youtu.be/M3lOCJ--ikw
>>
File: Kairon; IRSE! - Ruination.jpg (100KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
Kairon; IRSE! - Ruination.jpg
100KB, 500x500px
>those track lengths
Fuck me, it's like almost every song is an EP.
>>
>>73435669
GOAT /shugazi/ album cover
>>
Seeing Slowdive for the second time since their reunion later this year, now whats stopping mbv to tour again.
>>
>>73423483
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pd_K8IlRDCY

?????
>>
Any overlap between /shugazi/ and movie soundtracks? Most of the OSTs I listen to are dark ambient or modern classical.
>>
>>73437592
Lost In Translation features some MBV and JAMC tracks and also one or two songs made by Kevin for the movie
>>
>>73437740
>whispers "Thank you"
>>
>>73433190
Thanks for posting this I didn't know Hoops released a full LP
>>
>>73436667
welcome to prog rock
>>
How was the new Ride?
I didn't read the thread or listen to it yet btw.
>>
File: Iseriouslyhopepunpun.jpg (43KB, 305x230px) Image search: [Google]
Iseriouslyhopepunpun.jpg
43KB, 305x230px
>>73438251
>>73423609
>>
>>73437900
Yeah man its good stuff! Do you have any similar sounding artists I can check out?
>>
File: 1448313282922.jpg (7KB, 231x218px) Image search: [Google]
1448313282922.jpg
7KB, 231x218px
>>73433190
>https://hoops.bandcamp.com/album/routines
first track is awesome
not really shoegaze tho
>>
>>73438487
Listen to Nowhere senpai
>>
File: 1466270228109.jpg (59KB, 604x595px) Image search: [Google]
1466270228109.jpg
59KB, 604x595px
>>73438369
omg that album is greattttttt thanks anon >>73433190 for posting it
>>
does anyone here have Moose - Honey Bee?
>>
>>73436667
Sinister Waters I and II combined are my favorite 25 minutes of music this year
>>
I could never really get into the MBV/dream pop approach, or classic shoegaze in general, and I think Loveless sounds like shit, which is a shame considering the amount of money and sound engineers put into the record.

I fucking love Jesu though. Recommend me albums
>>
>>73439006
Keep listening to Loveless until it clicks
>>
>>73439006
Bardo Pond
>>
>>73439006
The Angelic Process, Planning for Burial, >>73439070

I also used to think Loveless was just okay but it finally clicked after I watched Lost in Translation.
>>
Thoughts on this band?

https://youtu.be/qOhhqrxDw6M
>>
>>73424772
goddamn they sound like a straight up MBV ripoff
>>
>>73435838
these are bretty good, thanks anon.

>>73435491
will finally check these guys out (i've been meaning to do so for forever)
>>
I want to start listening to Shoegaze and pls rec some soft shoegaze because I'm used soft music.
>>
>>73439469
slowdive
>>
>>73435669
Summery, happy wall of noise that feels nostalgic. Love this album.
>>
shoegaze makes me crave IV opiates like nothing else in life ever has
>>
im seeing japanese breakfast tonight
just thought you guys should know
>>
>>73433504
>no Leave Them All Behind
>Only Shallow as the MBV pick instead of Soon, Sometimes, or To Here Knows When
>>
I've been re-listening to pre-loveless MBV and man they have always been fantastic
songs like Honey Power and Slow can match anything on loveless in my opinion
>>
>>73440238
I feel like you could have picked many different mbv songs but Only Shallow is the most iconic in a way
kicking of loveless with those 4x snare hits and then the insane noise
>>
File: tremolo.jpg (359KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
tremolo.jpg
359KB, 1000x1000px
>>73440723
I always preferred the eps to loveless. Moon Song is their best song in my opinion.
>>
File: 3797868140_7e82a71fe4.jpg (193KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
3797868140_7e82a71fe4.jpg
193KB, 500x375px
>>
File: rare.jpg (556KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
rare.jpg
556KB, 1200x1200px
What does /shugazi/ think of this? I've never listened to or even cared about Hundredth before, but so far I'm very impressed. To me, this is what Nothing wish they could sound like
>>
What do I do when shoegaze doesn't feel like enough noise anymore
>>
>>73441286
Listen to noise rock? Or just straight up noise?
>>
>>73441286
>>/blackgaze/
>>
>>73440976
Hundredth as in metalcore Hundredth are making shoegaze now? Interesting, might have to check this out
>>
>>73440807
I want to hang out with Kevin
>>
>>73439033
Unironically this
>>
>>73441465
Yeah, it reminds me of Nothing combined with some of the new wave influence on that Heat album from earlier this year
>>
>>73441989
And by Nothing I mean similar to their style but much heavier
>>
>>73436667

Still super disappointed in this album. Sinister Waters I is literally the only thing that I still get the urge to listen to and no part of this is shoegaze, it's all just mediocre prog.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpoq9wlcttI
Haven't seen Jefre Cantu-Ledesma discussed here. He just released a new album. Ambient wall of noise shoegaze
>>
>>73440976
>>73441465
>>73441989
>>73442035
This sounds really good, actually. Definitely better than anything Nothing has put out. Sounds like a heavier version of Turnover - Peripheral Vision
>>
>>73439469

Slowdive, Pale Saints, Drape, Mazzy Star, Nanairo, Kestrels, Pasteboard, Autumn's Gray Solace. Basically just find a chart and stick to the areas closest to the dream pop branches.
>>
File: cover.jpg (72KB, 700x700px) Image search: [Google]
cover.jpg
72KB, 700x700px
Good noisy shoegaze
>>
>>73442664
Jefre Cantu-Ledesma is one of my favourite artists. I'm really enjoying the new album so far, even if it is pretty different from his most famous works.
>>
>>73442664
oh fuck i loved Love Is A Stream. Gib!
>>
>>73441320
Yeah I like noise a little, but I mean the comfy, pounding melodic bliss of shoegaze used to be so gorgeous to me, I don't know why I'm growing numb to it now
>>
>>73443594
I guess I'll try some blackgase
>>
>>73443594
When i got to the point you're at i started listening to more garage rock/punk kind of music like Oblivians. Still had thick,crunchy, noisy guitar but also was refreshingly simple and energetic. Basically you might be getting bored of the shoegaze aesthetic and need a kick in your pants.

Honestly you'll probably never get that "Loveless just clicked for me" feeling again, it's like trying to feel like the first time you mainlined heroin or something. Just chasing the dragon, maaaaannnnn
>>
whats your favorite Pretty Girl Vocals shoegaze?
>>
the new Jefre Cantu-Ledesma: nice guitars
www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGtISX5D1nU
shoegaze, dream-pop + noise/drone
>>
File: guiltyofeverything.png (38KB, 479x479px) Image search: [Google]
guiltyofeverything.png
38KB, 479x479px
anyone else like Guilty Of Everything as much as I do? their newest is kind of meh but i'll always love their first album
>>
>>73444338
This has been growing on me a lot recently. Meanwhile no matter how much I try, I can't get into Tired of Tomorrow outside of like 4 songs
>>
>>73444545
i feel like on Tired Of Tomorrow they tried too hard to be deep and depressing. but on Guilty Of Everything it all just came together so perfectly. they weren't trying to be "shoegaze"
>>
>>73442727
got a dl for the new album?
>>
>>73444598
i mean even the lyrics on Guilty Of Everything are 100% better... less blunt, more... poetic
>>
>>73444601
It's up on soulseek
>>
>>73442664
totally agree. really nice album
>>
>>73439990
i discovered slowdive on oxy. i dont think I can detach the feeling of drowning in guitars with the cozy body high of nodding off
>>
>>73430893
thanks for sway anon
>>
File: a1053001502_5.jpg (73KB, 700x700px) Image search: [Google]
a1053001502_5.jpg
73KB, 700x700px
Thoughts on pic related?
>>
>>73445476
very comfy nipgaze
>>
What are some of the best female led shoegaze bands?
>>
>>73431423
depends on the band i think - for most part tends to be way more mid-centri, but say something like this, bassline is very prominent and really guides the song
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6ltqk3lr-M
>>
>>73435169
i listened and i really tried to like it, but it just still just sounds like a loveless ripoff
the sound design is half decent and clean but its just too in the middle ground, not harsh or soft enough to be interesting
the composition is pretty bland and doesnt catch my ear either
>>
>>73445957
No Joy, Sunny Day in Glasgow, Pinkshinyultrablast, Stargazer Lilies, Panda Riot, Novella
>>
>>73445476

chill and dreamy, love it
>>
>>73440976
thanks for posting this, it's nice
>>
>>73445957
Lush
>>
File: LAND.png (677KB, 608x607px) Image search: [Google]
LAND.png
677KB, 608x607px
>>73446202
Actually...

Novella - Land Gone
>shoegaze, psych rock, dream pop
>girl band

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TxRVGdY-90

https://mega.nz/#!Q8tDQaKa!Edgy-eTqYVcPdYBaMEmKyufwWIukX2A3iDr8oHZSlCw
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pd_K8IlRDCY

These guys actually got them tones
>>
>>73446310
Holy Shit
>>
>>73433190
Saw them play live, they're great. Maybe listen to Heraldic Black Cherry (similar vibes, less chorusy)
>>
>>73440097
Cool make Jane Cum.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5l1UUopwkuE
Anyone listen to Chasms' album last year?
Saw these two opening for Drab Majesty and didn't realise it was them until after their set was over
Really gothic, fuzzed out and industrial dream pop
>>
File: a2820509001_10.jpg (479KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
a2820509001_10.jpg
479KB, 1200x1200px
this is the best
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZlNt05dCX8
>>
>>73446202
>>73446254
I'll check them out
>>
>>73447656

Their other album is better
>>
File: a1252899754_10.jpg (750KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
a1252899754_10.jpg
750KB, 1200x1200px
other meloncholy shoegaze albums?
>>
File: a0448142860_16.jpg (71KB, 700x700px) Image search: [Google]
a0448142860_16.jpg
71KB, 700x700px
>>73445957
Curve
>>
File: loop-a-gilded-eternity.jpg (8KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
loop-a-gilded-eternity.jpg
8KB, 500x500px
>>73439006
>>
>>73448626
>>
>>73448626
see Sway up here >>73430893
>>
>>73423609
Ride? lmao m8, that's fuking britpop shit.
>>
File: loveless.jpg (109KB, 660x660px) Image search: [Google]
loveless.jpg
109KB, 660x660px
>While being interviewed for the 2014 documentary Beautiful Noise, Alan McGee expressed no liking for the album at all, saying "People were talking about it as if it was Beethoven's 7th or 8th symphony. No. It's some guy that can't finish a record that took three years... Loveless is fucking overrated as fuck"
who was in the wrong here?
>>
>>73449348
>This album that's unanimously agreed as hugely influential and is critically acclaimed isn't as good as everyone thinks it is
Sounds like he probably posts on /mu/
>>
File: Beach House - Bloom.png (81KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
Beach House - Bloom.png
81KB, 300x300px
why did beach house go to shit /mu/?

>>73449348
he didn't like it but that doesn't really mean he's wrong he just didn't like it
loveless is great tho if you ask me
>>73449369
lol
>>
>>73449348
He just needs to listen to it until it clicks for him.
>>
>>73449372
>why did beach house go to shit /mu/?
Bloom was the pinnacle of their sound, nowhere left to go but down. Still good though, imo.
>>
>>73449430
i feel that but i think devotion was another great example of how they can make another sound work for them
they gotta move on to something new though stat
>>
>>73449372
When will they finally stop edging my dick and make a shoegaze album
I NEED it
>>
>>73449348
has he tried listening to it louder
>>
>>73445957
Asobi Seksu - s/t
>>
>>73449348
From his wiki page
>In interviews with the Glasgow's Daily Record in September 2010 and the UK's The Independent in October 2010, McGee stated he had lost interest in music and was more interested in the esoteric and occult teachings of Aleister Crowley and Peter J. Carroll,[8] particularly Carroll's book Liber Null.[9]

sounds like an idiot
>>
>>73449348
He's probably predisposed to dislike it because, I don't know, it nearly bankrupted his label?
>>
File: retarded lil bro.jpg (553KB, 1465x1360px) Image search: [Google]
retarded lil bro.jpg
553KB, 1465x1360px
>>
>>73449924
he's absolutely fucking insufferable. Just look at the hashtags on all his IG posts. Constantly trying to gain followers off of Oasis' fame
>>
>>73427297
guitarist of the band recently sent me a vinyl copy of this free. Had no idea people even knew about his band. I've been trying to get a reunion going but he's pretty preoccupied with work. He's a high school english teacher now. Really strange where a lot of these 90s shoegazers are at now.
>>
File: 1491372042796.jpg (312KB, 1914x1440px) Image search: [Google]
1491372042796.jpg
312KB, 1914x1440px
>>73423483
while, technically not shoegaze or "nugaze"
I used to be in musical project with the guitarist of whirr(now in bestcoast)
+
dicked around with kerry from deafheaven (prefame) in a few instrumental side projects as well....

dont say i never gave you anything /mu/
bunch of unreleased tracks here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9aP_1vFCbsM
>>
>>73450124
Really? Fuck that's cool. I found it cause of an old post with a bunch of recommended shoegaze. I love it, it's so dreamy and chill. Addicted to a few tracks. Would love to hear it live. He should put out more. It's seriously amazing shit. And I kind of wanna know who he is.
>>
>>73432456
halp
>>
>>73452514
try whirr and nothing
>>
>>73450885
that's really nice, thanks for posting this
>>
>>73448645
that's new to me
>>
>>73451495
He's got solo stuff out under the name of Jett Brando. He actually just released an album a few months ago. It's more like acoustic folk type thing though.
>>
Someone mention The Ecstasy of Saint Theresa in one these threads a few days ago and I've got to say they are excellent.
>>
>>73427297
Honestly I don't feel like the tracks are consistently good, but the highlights are amazing.
>>
If you could pick one album to get people into shoegaze, what would it be?

Any era, any subgenre.
>>
>>73455474
Susurrate and Pigment are among my favorite LPs and EPs of all time respectively. My group is working on an Absinthe cover but its a pain in the ass because the only member of the band still around making music is the singer and she doesnt remember any of the old shoegaze stuff. They just do ambient electro now.
>>
File: a1489158662_16.jpg (119KB, 700x700px) Image search: [Google]
a1489158662_16.jpg
119KB, 700x700px
Anyone else digging the new bardo pond? Might actually be my AOTY.
>>
>>73455762
Alison alone is usually enough. Souvlaki in general is a really accessible album though. I also go with Lush, Silversun Pickups, Pains of Being Pure at Heart. Despite My Bloody Valentine being my all time favorite band by a long shot i never tell the qt's to listen to anything other than You Made Me Realise or Glider until they start liking the weirder stuff like No Joy's Ghost Blonde or LSD and the Search for God.
>>
>>73455860
>weirder stuff like or LSD and the Search for God.
??
>>
>>73430595
Thanks for this stereo venus album, so good
>>
any rec for catchy, upbeat dream pop/shoegaze? something fast
>>
File: seawhenabsent.png (467KB, 492x493px) Image search: [Google]
seawhenabsent.png
467KB, 492x493px
>>73456982
Also, Chrome by Catherine Wheel
>>
>>73456982
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMBjKDSznuM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vE2JM31wnm0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpKkzU1ILRI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YtB4kxfQPs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wF0FO5riglY
Just to name a few
>>
>>73455807
Yeah Ive been getting into Bardo Pond recently. Check out their split with Yo La Tengo from a couple of years ago - Parallelogram. I like it a lot at least
>>
>>73457119
thanks i'll listen to it
>>73457499
already know all of them but thanks the same. :-)
>>
File: ASDIG-Ashes-Grammar1.jpg (82KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
ASDIG-Ashes-Grammar1.jpg
82KB, 500x500px
The best ASDIG album is getting reissued. Too bad it's a Vinyl Me Please exclusive.
>>
>>73456230
weirder to people used to Whitney and Wild Nothing.
>>
>>73449348
Go to his Instagram. Can you trust a guy who plays Oasis records on a crosley turntable?

Anyhow, he did post the Loveless album art back in February. He and Kevin are apparently "cool" with each other these days. Loveless was made when Alan was a coke addict who was being bankrupt. Not surprisings he'd slag Loveless regardless of how great it is.
>>
>>73455762
>>73455860
Alison, or better yet, When The Sun Hits. Worked for me with my gf. Play that on guitar and you're golden. That's pretty true about MBV. Doesn't seem to click well with girls like the more dreamier simple stuff does.
>>
>>73458624
Damn, sucks that it's a vmp exclusive. Hopefully someone will put it up on discogs for a reasonable price.
>>
File: tumblr_nuxp9buKMt1qd5mq1o1_400.gif (79KB, 338x322px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nuxp9buKMt1qd5mq1o1_400.gif
79KB, 338x322px
drinking game: every time someone mentions mbv/loveless for no reason in a shoegaze review on rym you take a shot.
>>
>>73452711
thanks bb <3
/mu/ is confirmed best board

>>73452575
those guys are my friends
check out "swoon" by whirr

>>73460269
W A S T E D
RECS = "XOXO - CRAZY"
>>
>>73460269
>reading reviews on rym
not even once
>>
>>73459667
What's really annoying is that in the announcement on fb they said how much it broke their heart to see fans pay $300-400 on a copy of the album.

But then they go ahead and release it on an exclusive subscription service. It probably won't ever get that high but still.
>>
>
>>
I really liked this, anyone here listened to it yet?
>>
>>73462041
Yeah I enjoyed it a bit even if it was a bit derivative. Still a better comeback album than Ride imo.
>>
>>73450032
Poor lil guy lost his ice cream.
:[
>>
File: Beliefs-beliefs-band-400x400.jpg (46KB, 400x395px) Image search: [Google]
Beliefs-beliefs-band-400x400.jpg
46KB, 400x395px
Thoughts on this?
It's your usual bandcamp shoegaze, but I really dig it.
>>
Is m83 shoegaze
>>
>>73460269
no please i dont want to die
>>
>>73464995
yessir
>>
>>73450124
That's interesting. I know the drummer from Adorable is a high school math teacher now. Times sure do change.
>>
>>73450124
those niggas are tight
>>
>>73449372
Bloom has like 3 really good pop songs and the rest is trash.
Teen Dream is their best and Depression Cherry is a close second, their last album was really samey but it was decent quality.
>>
I honestly wonder what happened to Stella Luna. They did a top notch shoegaze album but then they vanished into obscurity.
>>
>>73456982
dunno if you're still around but here's a few

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMXT0aq4kVM
https://thesunshinefactory.bandcamp.com/track/my-sugar-cane
https://bootgaze.bandcamp.com/track/everythings-behind-me
https://clamsjp.bandcamp.com/track/circulation
>>
>>73466474
B SIDES LEAK WHEN??
>>
>>73455762
Probably Sugar by The Sunshine Factory because it's melodic and poppy rather than something like Loveless, which is jarring to a lot of people because it's mostly based on textures rather than traditional melodic guitar rock.
>>
>>73466505
Yeah, I'm not sure. The last newsworthy entry on their blog is from 2010 when they said they were gonna start making new material but who the hell knows.
Thread posts: 236
Thread images: 43

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.