[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

At what age did you become critical about music?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 8

File: bewbs.jpg (234KB, 900x1352px) Image search: [Google]
bewbs.jpg
234KB, 900x1352px
At what age did you become critical about music?
>>
>>73418401
14-15, when I started listening to a lot of stuff and understood that Muse was a shit band
>>
>>73418422
So how old are you now?
>>
honestly around 14
>>
>>73418460
>>
Unironically when I was 14. First, I started listening to pop-punk and thensI switched to The Beatles.
>>
>>73418604
>>73418565
Damn, you guys were young. It took til 18 for me.
>>
I don't know but I stopped at 25. You get to a point in your life where musical taste becomes so trivial.
>>
>>73418631
I guess it helped that I was already listening all day to the Beatles when I was 5 or 6
>>
17-18 which is around the time I outgrew my muh classic rock phase and explored different genres
>>
>>73418662
Yeah, me too but I didn't grow out of buttrock until 18.
>>
File: nice1.jpg (374KB, 900x1352px) Image search: [Google]
nice1.jpg
374KB, 900x1352px
>>73418401
I had fun trying to unfuck the colors in this picture then mucking around with it.
>>
File: bewbs (1).jpg (221KB, 900x1352px) Image search: [Google]
bewbs (1).jpg
221KB, 900x1352px
>>73419024
Tried this a while ago too.
>>
>>73419049
shoop some tits on there
>>
>>73419077
Google Nine Terror or Nina Dee or some shit.
>>
>>73419077
Shoop a bulge there and we'll be talking
>>
File: nice5.jpg (672KB, 900x1352px) Image search: [Google]
nice5.jpg
672KB, 900x1352px
>>73419049
Yeah but did you get funky with it?
>>
>>73418401
around high school after a high I was first able
to listen separate instruments on a song, maybe this is when I was first able to concentrate on music.
Around second year in university I started appreciating concepts in music.
>>
File: nice6.jpg (440KB, 900x1352px) Image search: [Google]
nice6.jpg
440KB, 900x1352px
I wonder if Jack Russel would let me use one of these as the cover to my tape demo.
>>
I didn't cared about music, even mainstream music, most of my life.
I only cared about it at 2 points of my life before discovering underground music:
At 2000 I cared about guns and roses (this band only), and got bored of it, at the first half of the next year.
At 1995 I liked mamonas assasinas (a band that was mainstream at my country at the year) and got bored of it at 1996.

Anyway, while browsing wikipedia at 2005, I started to do what some places call "wiki walking".
Something like that, you start to read about usa and then click at "usa sports" and then read about american football, and then about some player that is catholic, and then about catholic religion, and then templars and then movies with templars, then about the actor at this movie and the other movies he made.....

While doing something like that I found articles about black metal, I started to read about it and got curious about the fact some guy burned a church, the way they dress and etc... and then started to read about the other metal genres listed, started to read about doom metal and got curious about the fact that the songs had 20+ minutes and etc...., and then about other metal genres....
And then at the same day I said to myself "I will try to find some good artist of each metal genre listed here."
I started to download some stuff from wikipedia lists, using p2p program and then quit this quest less then one week before I started, but continued to search info about music. First at wikipedia only and then I gradually started to see wikipedia was a shitty place to research musical subjects and started to research using other sites and stopped to use wikipedia for musical related research.

At 2005 I was 20 years old
>>
>>73418401
>>
15, same age I discovered /mu/
>>
>>73418401
I don't understand the question
>>
>>73419642
>>73419683
Post ages
>>
>>73419753
>>
>>73418401
13 or so? this was when dial up internet was still a thing, so i quit listening to music until i was around 16 and had access to better resources.
>>
>>73419753
29, but i know there are older people on this board.
>>
File: 1495552271931.png (637KB, 500x706px) Image search: [Google]
1495552271931.png
637KB, 500x706px
>>73418422
Origin of Symmetry is a great album
>>
>>73420327
Yeah I agree, but still, I should have listened to Radiohead sooner
>>
i stopped at 21 because i don't give a fuck what other people think now. i just come here to find new music.
>>
>>73420439
How do you know what you like and dislike? Like what determines your favourites from least favourites?
>>
Less than a year ago. Some people call me a pleb, but the thing is I've simply not have had the time to find more obscure artists on my own and dive into subgenres. I'm working my way through the classics and the essentials, and I hope I can make a respectable chart in a few months time. My favourite band is currently Radiohead and my favourite album is Ok Computer. As much as I love that album, I want it to change. I don't want to be stuck with the same favorite album I discovered at a young age
>>
Pretty much since I was 8 I was able to recognize that some stuff is shit that people shouldn't listen to and other stuff is creative gold. As with most things in my life, I blame my mom.
>>
>>73419535
Interesting story
>>
>>73418651
this
>>
14, when I first got into "real" music (NIN, Radiohead, Soundgarden, Death Cab) and realized that most of what I listened to previously was actually shit
>>
>>73418631
I guess it helped that I was already listening all day to jazz fusion when I was 5 or 6
>>
>>73420542
Also, Beatles got me into music. We were listening to the Radio, and Hey Jude was playing. My sister was all like "change the station" but at the time I just repeated things I'd heard so I was just like "stop disrespecting them". When I got home I thought I'd listen to some of their songs on YouTube and I fell in love. After that summer I started subbing to Spotify to listen to their albums, and that lead me to listen to other dadrock bands like Pink Floyd (which I still love) before around this year when I ascended from thinking all good music was made before.

Also, previous to that I had been watching some of the needle drop, and I never knew that people got into music like that. It lead me to wanting to get into music myself, and Beatles was my gateway band. I have a feeling most people hating the Beatles didn't listen to them when getting into music (or listened to them before) so they don't get the deal. They think they have such patrician taste because they won't recognise The Beatles as a great band.
>>
>>73418651
Why are you here then? Legit curious
>>
>>73418401
Maybe like 15
>>
>>73418401
Twelve. Only listended to YouTube rappers, Eminem, dadrock, and grunge. I found Radiohead through Creep and started to listen to more "artsy" shit like Swans.
>>
>>73418401
>>
>>73420542
>young age
>Less than a year ago
????????
>>
>>73418401
I mean I suspect I was always pretentious about it, but I think I hit a point as should everyone where I realized before you've listened to a few thousand albums, your critical opinion is totally meaningless because you lack perspective and I'm a cunt
>>
>>73420790
to discuss and discover new and old music.
>>
>>73420880
You're young before 25
>>
>>73420851
So you're like 17?
>>
>>73421018
But you don't like it? Ah, well. Just throw some pop on if that gives you more enjoyment
>>
>>
>>73418401
17, my dad is pretty into pop/rock music so I naturally picked that up from him. However, he was almost strictly into either singles are songs that were Beatles-esque. Like he says Nirvana is great but only plays Teen Spirit, Sonic Youth is great but he only plays Teen Age Riot, etc. Naturally I wanted to see what was the fuss about listening to full albums and got myself into more interesting/abstract genres of music. I guess I'm not THAT critical of music though, cause I have an extremely hard time rating albums like a critic. Either I like a song, I "get" it, it drags on too much, or it annoys me.
>>
>>73421103
>>
>>73418422
this
cause i found /mu/ and fantano
but i don't think i was smart enough to be actually critical until like recently
>>
>>
>>73421480
Oh, ok. I thought he meant he didn't like music anymore.
>>73421231
Coolio
>>
>>73421124
i don't think that's what that anon is saying, or at least that's not how i interpreted it. after you've listened to music for so long and you suddenly love what you use to dislike or never understood before and you stop listening to bands that you thought would always be your favorite 10 years ago you begin to realize its useless trying to define what is and isn't good music. don't get me wrong, there is a lot of shit music out there but some things work for you and somethings dont and that's true for every music lover.
>>
>>73418401
At age 8, when I heard a Sex Pistols live album and realized it sucked, while Never Mind the Bollocks were great. I'm 27 now
>>
File: 1497738642082.jpg (56KB, 666x666px) Image search: [Google]
1497738642082.jpg
56KB, 666x666px
is this entire thread ironic?
>>
ITT: users try to accuse other users of being under 18, while also shitting on their music taste when they were 12.
>>
about 14-15. around the same time, i got into /mu/.

around a year later i started writing music reviews.
>>
I refused to listen to anything on the radio around 5th grade. But that's just because my parents were punks and I wanted to be like them. I guess when I actually became critical of music was around 15.
>>
>>73418401
11-12 (6th grade)

Up until that point I only liked classic rock (Rubber Soul, Eat a Peach), but one day my sister forced me to listen to Room On Fire from front to back (she was 15). It changed my life. I remembering being really confused about why the radio never played it
>>
when i was 3-4 and openly hated disney films for the music and singing.
>>
what do you guys mean by "critical"? because I feel pretty much the same about music now as when I first got into it in the 6th grade, I just have developed my taste I guess.
I started listening to full albums early on because my dad got a record player about the same time I got into music in general
>>
When I stopped caring about how music made me feel
and I started caring about how music made me think
>>
>>73424410
why not both? honestly, why are feelings considered a different league than intellect
>>
>>73424477
only plebs care about feelings
>>
around 13-ish when I started listening to more ""experimental"" rap and started hating the garbage I used to love
Thread posts: 67
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.