[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Steely Dan General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: images.jpg (8KB, 219x230px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
8KB, 219x230px
So i've been reading these guys' biography and apparently they were originally hired as staff songwriters at ABC Dunhill studios in LA. Basically they just started using the studios equipment and rehearsal space for their own pursuits and ABC got wind of it and decided to support their project. I just thought it was crazy how they sort of gypped their way into getting a record deal.
>>
>>73417383
I know they're not underrated exactly, but is Steely Dan one of the most underappreciated of the "major" classic acts?
>>
>>73417468
yes. very much so. They are one of those bands that if you truly like them you've basically listened to all of their stuff obsessively if that makes any sense. Of course there are people who know the hits and like them but in general most people who really love steely dan basically know all of their songs.
>>
>>73417468
they deserve more airplay. reelin in the years and do it again are staples of classic rock radio. peg and josie sometimes get some attention. i think i heard kid charlemagne once on alice coopers radio show.

the only other artists i can think of who deserve radio play more who don't get enough (at least in my neck of the woods) are bob dylan, neil young, frank zappa and king crimson.
>>
>>73418614
I agree with all of that, but at least half of it is a pipe dream.
>Dylan, Young
This though, reminds me of an article I read about segar recently. It's worth a read even if you're not a fan.
npr org/sections/therecord/2017/03/29/521642313/where-have-all-the-bob-seger-albums-gone
Obviously Young and Dylan get more airtime than Segar, but I've been alive just long enough to see what the author is talking about with regard to "classic rock" as a format. I used to hear a lot more Bob Dylan and it seems like right around the time that Even Flow started showing up on "classic" stations was when a lot of 70's deeper cuts seemed to vanish from the format.
>>
Not even a huge Steely Dan fan (I still haven't listened to a lot of their discography yet tho) but they have a ton of awesome songs. The Royal Scam is a great album.
>>
>>73417383
I hate steely dan. I know people like them but it all just comes off as goofy bullshit.
>>
>>73419343
I assume you're referring to the ironic/humorous aspect of their lyrics. Personally I've always been aware of that but it never really bothered me because I really don't find their humor that funny because most of it seems like you would have had to have been Fagen or Becker to actually "get" the humor aspect of their lyrics.
>>
>>73419343
honestly a lot of it is goofy bullshit, but it works when juxtaposed with the musicianship, complex arrangements and stellar production. im not sure id like steely dan as much if the lyrical content was hard hitting serious emotional stuff or whatever lol

>>73419254
i haven't read that article yet but im actually from michigan and they play seger to death here. every time he announces he's going to tour again i swear half of the state loses its mind. but yeah as they phase in early 90s grunge it does appear that 60s/early 70s stuff starts to get phased out which is totally sad. i flat out never hear dylan on the radio. neil young gets more airplay here but the only songs you're likely to hear are: heart of gold, old man, cinnamon girl, southern man, and rockin in the free world
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.