[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

This is clearly the best pop record of the decade right?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 6

File: 91sqAJFwmJL._SL1400_.jpg (926KB, 1400x1400px) Image search: [Google]
91sqAJFwmJL._SL1400_.jpg
926KB, 1400x1400px
This is clearly the best pop record of the decade right?
>>
Almost, Lonerism is pop AOTD
>>
sounds ok, wouldn't go back to it for any reason
>>
No, but Eventually is compositionally one of the best pop songs of all time.

Kevin Parker has had a reputation for a while as a "chord wizard" or at least someone who is able to come up with some of the catchiest melodies and funkiest chord progressions. What I found interesting as well is his use of text painting. As an example, I wanted to use Eventually, one of the lead singles from Currents.

The song's lyrics describe the pain in having to break up with a lover, and how he knows the relationship won't last. But it is also about the putting off of the break up, and how while he knows it is for the best for them to break ties he is afraid of that moment. This suspension of emotional calamity is what makes up the bulk of the text painting in this song.

Aside from the way his voice, along with the looming synth chords, seems imply nervousness and fragility (as it did earlier in Let It Happen, about a similar suspenseful moment that never comes) Kevin uses the chord progression to show the stress in himself. There is never any true tonic resolution throughout the song: even though the opening and chorus seem to heavily lean towards resolution it's always the wrong chord. In the opening, he substitutes I (Cmaj) for iii (Emin); in the chorus, he adds a 9th to the I chord, giving the sense that he's dodging the resolution and dodging the question. This also happens on the enormous punch on the song title, as he resolves instead to IV (Fmaj).

It's always nice to find this sort of thing in popular music (and especially pop music) since most artists don't seem to put the care in to work this way. There are other songs like this on the album but this is definitely the most obvious example I could think of.
>>
completely forgettable
>>
>>73408397
hmm maybe, fuck the lonerism dood though this album is way "more" and way better pop
>>
File: Oracular Spectacular.jpg (218KB, 1500x1500px) Image search: [Google]
Oracular Spectacular.jpg
218KB, 1500x1500px
>>73408397
wrong
>>
>>73408788
im not talking about the 00's and even if i was it's not the best it is up there
>>
have you *heard* E.mo.tion
>>
>>73409049
yes and what it does doesn't even scratch the surface currents.
>>
>>73408397
>he said despite listening to fuck all music
>>
>>73408397
Nah, maybe for corny straight dudes who are afraid of the heights of real pop.
>>
Pom Pom, Age of Adz, ArchAndroids, This is Happening, all vastly superior to Currents which is ageing worse than milk.

Plastic Beach is a better pop album for fuck sake
>>
>>73408788
this is the correct answer
>>
>>73409049
please for the love of christ fuck back off to /r/indieheads where you came from
>>
>>73408418
>Elephant

Canned Heat, your time is to boogie is through.
>>
>>73408397
hmmmm
>>
>>73408397
correct answer is blonde you fucking mutts
>>
Currents is very good, but overrated. Stop giving it shit cause it's overrated, when it's still enjoyable.
>>
>>73408445
am i the only who finds people talking of music like this anon did in his 4th paragraph stupid? im an artist and this sound exactly like the garbage i would hear people say when theyd see one of my paintings which i ever only painted to attain some sort of aesthetic, no other thoughts involved. i also play music and never really bother with these kind of theories because theyre boring. these guy litteraly said: this song is so cool when he doesnt follow this boring theory. music is arts, not science, why even bother with the I-IV-V shit. just play or just listen man
>>
>>73411277
It's people like you who will never progress or advance. You have a brain anon, use it. People don't compose using theory, however knowing it and having a deep understanding of it will broaden your horizons. An internalized understanding of music theory can be very liberating, however nobody actually consciously thinks of theory as they compose (those who do are usually jazz-school Berkley dorks who couldn't write a decent melody if they tried).

Anyways bit drunk but just don't be an ignorant asshole my dude learn stuff
>>
>>73411230
you right
>>
no its this
>>
channel orange is better
>>
>>73408445
Really awesome write up, hadn't noticed the text painting stuff but its definitely apparent. I wish /mu/ was more like you in posting, love the thought put in.
>>
In Rainbows, Blonde, and Channel Orange are better pop albums
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.