[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why are they so fucking amazing?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: sp2.jpg (215KB, 1200x796px) Image search: [Google]
sp2.jpg
215KB, 1200x796px
Why are they so fucking amazing?
>>
>>73405910
They were just really innovative compared to other mainstream rock bands at the time. Billy's massive ego probably had something to do with it.
>>
>>73405910
Billy's 3 favorite bands are Rush, Queen, and Cheap Trick.
>>
>>73405910
they aren't

>>73406332
>compared to other mainstream rock bands at the time
that really isn't saying a lot. I can't think of a single real innovation made by the smashing pumpkins at all desu.
>>
>>73406374
>innovation is the only good quality an artist can have
>>
>>73406374
>I can't think of a single real innovation

people give Radiohead credit for being innovative when SP beat them to the punch in
>turning backs on guitars and going electronic (Adore)
>releasing free album (Machina II)

those are the only two I can think of.

SP is much better than most 90's bands because Billy and Jimmy can actually play, they aren't ironic high school level musicians posing like Malkmus
>>
People give a lot of uneeded hate to them here, they basically got me into discovering music outside of radio and top charts so i think theyre great
>>
>>73406576
I'm old. Before the Internet got super fast, suburban kids knew what was on the radio/mtv and that's it. SP was head and shoulders above other pop groups like STP, Pearl Jam, AIC or whatever... their albums were more like Pink Floyd level greatness. They could take you on an adventure. There was a lot of depth to them. They don't fit in with 90's bands and it's a shame they are lumped in as "grunge". putting out MCIS was the least cool thing you could have done in the 90's. SP had ambition when ambition was passe. God bless SP and MAGA
>>
>>73406332
>Billy's massive ego probably had something to do with it.
I disagree, because SD is their best album, and he wasn't so egotistical back then. Also SP is more than just Billy. Jimmy's drumming is amazing too. Very distinctive style. Not overly flashy, but just great, driving rock drumming, with some great fills that fit in really well.

And I guess James' rhythm guitar stuff is part of the contribution. And D'Arcy... her visual contribution was good. As in, she was hot.
>>
>>73406424
Nice strawman

>>73406486

>turning backs on guitars and going electronic (Adore)

Eh, they didn't really commit to it in the way radiohead did. It also doesn't help that Adore is a bad album while Kid A is a good one imo.

>releasing free album (Machina II)

I definitely agree that SP do not get near enough credit for doing this. I still think they are a pretty shit band but this is one of the best moves they ever made in their entire career.

>SP is much better than most 90's bands because Billy and Jimmy can actually play, they aren't ironic high school level musicians posing like Malkmus

This is a meme. I don't understand why people think Billy is some guitar god when a large majority of his music is just octave chords ran through a big muff. nothing a "high school level" musician would struggle with. There were many many 90's musicians who could play way better guitar than Billy ever did, such as j mascis and doug martsch
>>
>>73406967
SP didn't show off on record very much, but BiCorg could play J Mascis under the table no sweat.
>>
>>73406801
Billy always had an ego, but it was just less present earlier on. While his ego was definitely what drove them forward after their first few releases, Siamese Dream is just like a separate masterpiece in itself.
>>
>>73406967
How is it a strawman when that's still all I take away from your opinion? Notice how I don't call your opinion an argument.
>>
File: backtomemeland.png (267KB, 800x820px) Image search: [Google]
backtomemeland.png
267KB, 800x820px
>>73406967
>strawman
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.