[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do people dislike this album? There's nothing wrong with it.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 88
Thread images: 3

File: stadium arcadium.jpg (53KB, 500x434px) Image search: [Google]
stadium arcadium.jpg
53KB, 500x434px
Why do people dislike this album? There's nothing wrong with it.
>>
The only good track was the stolen Tom Petty song. They should have just released it as a non-album single, retired, and been done with it.
>>
I'm sorry you have bad taste OP.
>>
>>73372066
>>73372081
Explain the hate. Use logical reasons
>>
>>73372055
It was my guilty pleasure. I don't listen to it much right now because there is many better music out there. You really need to try many other music to find out it's not that good seriously. RHCP have just pretty simple and catchy songs that appeal to masses and get boring really fast but I'm not sure if they still have it after their last records. They probably are just boring right now.
>>
>>73372110
I'm sorry you have autism OP.
>>
>>73372195
He's not OP, I am.
>>
The same problems creeping up in the couple of albums before it, and which just got worse with the ones after.

It doesn't have the same energy that older records (BSSM and earlier) have. The funk side isn't as funky. The rock side isn't as intense. It isn't necessarily bad, it's just dull.
>>
Great
>Dani California
>Snow (Hey Oh)
>Slow Cheetah
>Torture Me
>Wet Sand
>Hey
>Death of a Martian

Pretty Good
>Charlie
>Especially in Michigan
>Desecration Smile
>Storm in a Teacup

The rest are nothing special IMO, and that's the problem people have with this album. Even if the rest of the album isn't awful, it's so damn long that the peaks are overshadowed by the many forgettable songs that make up the majority of the album

I guarantee if the album was just the songs I listed, give or take, it would be remembered as a high point in the Chili Peppers discography alongside BSSM
>>
It's absolutely awful. Bloated and uninspired is the best way to describe it.
>>
>>73372055
Wow OP, every anon on this thread sounds like a fucking retard

My favorite RHCP album is By The Way, But Stadium Arcadium is up there with the best they've made.

I've tried BSSM, but it doesn't compare. The early stuff including BSSM has more energy, but lacks the maturity of Californication - Stadium Arcadium.

If people want to complain about a RHCP album, complain about this latest one that was produced by that talentless know nothing hack. They should have self produced rather than work with that idiot.
>>
SA is most a vehicle for some awesome John guitar work, the songwriting and everything else is uninspired.
>>
There are a ton of decent songs on the album, but the whole thing is over two hours long.

"Death of a Martian" is fantastic. I wish Kiedis was talented enough to do the spoken word ending live.
>>
>>73373054
A great follow up to BTW. Very artsy fartsy but didn't rock

SA rocked, had the good guitar work, and a lot of great songs. In general, it was a really fun album. The following 2 haven't been as good.

>Charlie
>Hump de Bump
>C'mon Girl
>Tell Me Baby

I might have left these out, but they're not deal breakers. Few bands that have been around for so long have put out such high quality, unique sounding albums like RHCP has.
>>
>>73372828
>bssm
>bad

>danger mouse
>an idiot

>rhcp
>mature

How can one post contain so many faggot opinions?
>>
>>73372055
should have been their last album

technically was with Frusciante
what a great send off
>>
>>73373617
They should have done one big world tour in support of the album and then taken an extended hiatus.

RHCP could have preempted the LCD Soundsystem move of having a farewell concert and then returning five years later to massive fan support.
>>
>>73373602
>bssm
>bad
verbatim, for sure

>danger mouse
>an idiot
prove me wrong. He managed to take a band that has produced consistently great albums for the past 30 something years and "help" them make a mediocre album of 4-6/10 songs with no climax. Pure lackluster background music.

Probably he doesn't know or understand quality rock music

>rhcp
>mature
So you're one of those. RHCP will always be a funk band in the 80's with socks on there dicks to you. John Fruciante and what he did with By The Way never happened.
>>
>>73373737
They've been lacklustre since By the Way. I'm not saying By the Way or Californication aren't good albums but if you think they're "mature" you're revealing to everyone just how little music you've listened to.
>>
>>73372055
There was no need for the second disk. If they'd swapped a few of the better songs over and shortened to maybe 12 songs it would have gone down a lot better
>>
>>73372055
It is way too long.
There are a few songs that stand out here and there (Snow, Slow Cheeta, Tell Me Baby, Hard to Concentrate)
but excluding these songs, they rarely change it up instrumentally and Anthony Kiedis has never been a lyrical heavyweight.

When I hear that an album is over 2 hrs long the last band I want to associate it with is the Chili Peppers. There isn't an overarching theme to the album to tie any of these tracks together, it just sounds like they thought all these were 10's and didn't want to cut anything from the album.
>>
File: christgau1med.jpg (18KB, 400x266px) Image search: [Google]
christgau1med.jpg
18KB, 400x266px
Stadium Arcadium [Warner Bros., 2006]

Only the familiar tale of their Grammy validation renders the familiar tale of their double album that shoulda been a single mildly interesting. Once a bassist's band, now a guitarist's band, they're most of all an '80s band, their spiritual core, such as it is, is rooted in the agony and ecstasy of heroin and cocaine. At least when the bassist ruled they livened up this overworked dynamic with beats. Now they tax it with tunes, at least when they're on their game--as in the dead-end relationship song "Desecration Smile" and the marriage proposal "Hard to Concentrate." B-
>>
>>73373906
That is true. Metallica will also never be able to do anything that sounds "mature" either despite being in their 50s.
>>
>>73373906
Pretty much
>>
Just go and put on Mother's Milk instead.
>>
Throw Away Your Television is p. good, it must have been written by John because it doesn't seem anything like Anthony's usual songwriting.
>>
I just don't like RHCP. That said, I think this is their best album.
>>
>>73374374
is this the only one you have heard by them?

This really is them being their most generic. If you don't like them why would this be your favorite album of theirs?
>>
>>73372055
Keidis is a garbage dinner with garbage lyrics, and SA really drives this point home.
>>
>>73372184
They are.
>>
>>73372459
After Californication they copied themselves over and over, putting no effort in try a different sound
>>
why are there basically no songs with frusciante singing? he has a great voice
>>
>>73375184
They make great songs but have no direction.
They make around 25 songs per album and cut it down to 14-15. They haven't made an album under 50 minutes since 1989.
They suck at keeping the right songs since many times, their b-sides are better than 90% of the songs on the album.
They had 30 songs ready for The Getaway and Danger Mouse made them scrap all of them and start anew.
>>
>>73373986
That's exactly what happened lol. Anthony didn't want to get rid of any of those tracks
>>
>>73372066
not even the top 5 best tracks on the album but ok
>>
it's good but it's too soft and too long.
>>
>>73375367
>their b-sides are better than 90% of the songs on the album
Eg. Purple Stain (I love that song).
>>
>>73376469
Purple Stain is on Californication though. Idk how the Bicycle Song didn't make it onto BTW though.
>>
>>73375367
The Californication singles were generally a good group of songs although Track 1 doesn't compare to their old funk rock efforts. Parallel Universe I can do without.
>>
>>73376485
>Purple Stain is on Californication though
I know, I was using it as an example of how their B-sides are often better than the singles (and funny enough, Christgau considered it the best song on Californication along with Scar Tissue).
>>
>>73376500
Parallel Universe is a good song ruined by awful production. It sounds like a fucking youtube rip.
>>
>>73376516
Road Trippin' has far worse production than that.
>>
>>73376515
Not nuts about John's solos on Scar Tissue. They hurt my ears.
>>
>>73372055
Anthony Kiedis
John Frusciantes Jimi Hendrix impression
Boring songs
>>
>>73376922
>John Frusciantes Jimi Hendrix impression
Fuck you, the ending solo on Dani California rules.
>>
Too much Frusciante, not enough Flee or Chad.

BSSM was the best balance of all three
>>
>>73377252
>Flee
goddammit what was i thinking
>>
Filler songs aside, I like it because it was John's goodbye. Death of a Martian is wonderful song btw.
>>
>seriously discussing RHCP
When did /mu/ become /r/music?
>>
>>73377408
last thursday
>>
>>73377408
You seem new
>>
I don't. It's their second best.
>>
>>73375227
(Same person you replied to, surprised this thread is still alive)

Californication was definitely the turning point. That driving sound was slipping away as they started going for more pop/moody stuff. I listened to a few tracks from the two albums which came after SA and it was just garbage.

Maybe it was the heroin, iunno.
>>
>>73377408
next we'll have serious 100+ post threads about A7X and Green Day
>>
>>73373268
>"Death of a Martian" is fantastic
It's about Flea's dog who died.
>>
>>73377252
>Too much Frusciante, not enough Flee or Chad.
They really don't bother showing up after Dani California.
>>
>>73372771
This. Classic case of double album bloat
>>
>>73372055
LOL
>>
>>73375260
This
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlmB-9n12fQ

This shit sounds like the intro to a Disney sitcom
I don't know if I hate it or love it for that.
>>
because Frusc is the only member worth a shit and he's not heavily featured
>>
see the problem here is thinking any RHCP is good
>>
>>73372204
I'm op
>>
File: RHCP_Fan.jpg (55KB, 600x563px) Image search: [Google]
RHCP_Fan.jpg
55KB, 600x563px
RHCP are the white bread of music/ music taste
>>
does /mu/ even hate their best effort which is BDSM?
>>
>>73379398
I like this one only because of Frusciante work on it.
>>
>>73379265
Freaky Styley is true patrician funk. Even Scaruffi said so.
>>
>>73372055
Boring are you 13-15 because that's usually when people go through the RHCP phase. Just wondering
>>
>>73379253
>Frusc not heavily featured on SA.

This must be bait.

This was the album where Frush cemented his meme guitar god status in the zeitgeist.
>>
>>73378109
Flea does a great job on Tell Me Baby and 21st Century though
>>
>>73379578
Their 3 best are BSSM, Freaky Styley, and Californication. After that it's sort of up in the air, although I'm With You and S/T are definitely their worst
>>
>>73372055

probably the same reason they don't like this shit band
>>
>>73381267
take it back
>>
>>73372204
>>73379285
you got OP here, what's the sitch?
>>
Snow (Hey Oh) is a really weird song for me, based on Frusciante's past repertoire.

I just can't understand how somebody with such brilliant, subtle guitar playing could write something that revolves entirely around babby's first hammer. It's obnoxiously simple and never deserved to be written in the first place. It's fucking semi-pleasant-sounding garbage.
>>
>>73382858
cumtodesidethatdadingsdatitriedwereinmylibejustoogethyon
>>
>>73382858
Snow is awesome dude fuck off. SA is a great album too but haters gonna hate
>>
I can't even imagine how draining the sessions for this fucking thing were, there's a B-side compilation called 'Venus' floating about that has the stuff they left off the album and some of the songs are so good it's baffling some of the other garbage on the LP got a place. 'Funny Face' is my favourite.

They easily had a full album's worth of strong material, they just needed an outside ear to tell them what it was. Even with it's flaws I consider it their last proper album, the post-John stuff is so fucking bad man.
>>
>>73383187
Rick Rubin gave up on trying to be a good producer by that point
>>
>>73382858
patrician don't have to go overboard trying to sound patrician.
>>
>>73372055
Everything past Californication is pure dad rock.
Every single song they now do sounds identical to 10 other songs they've done.
They've ran out of ideas and they're regurgitating the same shit over and over and over.
>>
>>73372055
The snares are too loud in the mix.
Not joking.
>>
>>73372055
>There's nothing wrong with it.
Except that there are no good songs.
>>
>>73382974
>>73383843

You guys play guitar at all?
That guitar motif is so cringey. It's not deceptively simple, it's retardedly simple.
>>
>>73385807
I'd also like to apologize for having bought the album when it came out.
Sorry.
>>
>>73385226

The mix is a fucking joke honestly, everything's amplified to shit. If you can track down a vinyl recording it sounds MUCH better.
>>
Niandra Lades and To Record Water are their best albums
>>
>>73387437
kek, this.
Thread posts: 88
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.