[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/jazz/ general

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 10

File: Elmo_Hope_Trio_HiFi.jpg (42KB, 298x300px) Image search: [Google]
Elmo_Hope_Trio_HiFi.jpg
42KB, 298x300px
There is still hope edition

What have you been listening to lately and how is it? Any recent purchases?
What jazz albums do you think are the most underrated?

Post/share/discuss jazz.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIbFjfH0erI&t=45s

The guys that recorded with David Bowie on Blackstar apparently, came accross this the other day and it's great, I love buddy's sax tone and there's a great performance of Lazarus in here
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soC70SWZv6g
>>
>>73370161
I thought Mccaslin's latest release was weak as hell. Mccaslin himself wasn't so bad and I though covering bowie was interesting, but the band was boring as hell. A shame because he's been on some great records (pic related)
>>
>>73370121
I bought Coltrane and Harman anticipating it to be a nice, romantic backdrop for time with the gf.

I'm autistic, it didn't work at all
>>
File: the standard sonny rollins.jpg (70KB, 500x529px) Image search: [Google]
the standard sonny rollins.jpg
70KB, 500x529px
>>73370723
>pic related
works everytime
>>73370596
>>73370161
I havent heard any of Mccaslins records but ive seen him live a few times. I like his artistic senses and the kind of stuff he does and how he approaches things but sometimes his blowing in particular doesnt do it for me. any reccomendations?
>>73370407
beautiful
>>
>>73370121
>There is still hope
Is there though?
>>
File: IMG_7508.png (794KB, 750x1334px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7508.png
794KB, 750x1334px
Best Miles Davis album coming through

Seriously, this is like a religious experience
>>
>>73370983
Hopefully ;^)
>>73370971
unfortunately all I have to recommend by him is that npr vid so let's both go listen to that Dave Douglas album and report back with our thoughts!
and in regards to his tone, idk, it's mainly during Lazarus that it really grabs me, during those long notes of the main melody, so he's probably upping his velvety-ness for that part. it just sounds so full and rich, it's as if the sound is made of the very metallic alloy that comprises the sax he's playing it on.
>>
>>73371029
try to refrain from declarations of superiority within /jazz/
>>
>>73371195
yeah, not much for douglas but i guess i should. i did like him on black star and the few times ive heard him live. hes also a friend of ben schachter haha. ill warn you, my written thoughts probably wont be very fleshed out.
>>73371029
glad its hitting your soul friend.
>>
>>73371029
it's a shame he departed from this style (for good anyway) the two of them (Davis and Evans) could have worked with so many more themes/motifs. I'd love to hear one with like a japanese or an african theme maybe lol that'd be crazy

also I say for good but I haven't listened to a lot of his later stuff so for all I really know he brought ol Gil back into the studio at some point. also no way am i saying what Davis went on to do immediately after SoS wasn't worth the departure.
>>
>>73371300
>ill warn you, my written thoughts probably wont be very fleshed out.
same no doubt. heh are we actually doing this, ill go download this shit right now so help me!
>>
>>73370971
snagging this too while im at it
>>
>>73371374
i'll just get around to it at some point in the next few days and write something about it.
>>73371387
but yeah the sonny record is good booty material.
>>
>>73371422
forgot to put my tripcode back on
>>
>>73371422
days?? jazz could be dead by then! D:

lol all good brother I think I'll actually go listen to that Rollins then because I'm in sort of a chillin mood.. either that or watch more of that glorious outdoor Arkestra show haha
>>
>>73371029
overrated t b h
senpai
>>
>>73371530
I'm not a fan of terms like overrated and underrated that serve to impose personal opinions as facts tbqh famn

but underrated is in the op so I guess I'll let it slide

this time...
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAVXGWEumUc

oh my, what have we here
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58KepbLWzus

also got this from a general recently and its pretty sweet. Rudresh's Birdcalls album is insane
>>
>>
File: 0008156826_10.jpg (154KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
0008156826_10.jpg
154KB, 1200x1200px
Black Focus by Yussef Kamaal is so good it's meme-tier. Really athmospheric, funky, textured, and original. My favorite this year so far.
>>
>>73373279
It came out last year
>>
Rec me some good 2017 jazz
>>
From 2017, I've been enjoying Matthias Muller's solo trombone the most; free improvisation from the trombonist of Splitter Orchestra (who had a great collab with George Lewis just last year). Also on the solo front: Nate Wooley's (trumpet) Complete Syllables Music compilation, Fred Lonberg-Holms Cabin, Cemetary, Forest (cello), and Ilan Volkav's Cafe Oto set (16.2.17; violin). For kind of jazz-adjacent stuff been enjoying The Ecstatic World of Alice Coltrane comp and Colin Stetson's All this I do for glory. For more traditional free jazz been liking Toxic's This is beautiful because we are beautiful people (Walerian, W. Parker, Shipp). And then for more straight ahead jazz I've been liking Jaime Branch's Fly Or Die the best.
>>
>>73374641
Any stuff that's not free jazz?
>>
File: IMG_5696.jpg (93KB, 646x567px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5696.jpg
93KB, 646x567px
what other albums have this much emotion? I'm really liking avant-garde jazz.
>>
>>73374655

Sorry, Wynton, but no
>>
>>73374715
I like free jazz, I just like other stuff too
>>
File: 6417313.jpg (225KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
6417313.jpg
225KB, 1200x1200px
>>73374509
>>73374655
For this 2017 release Puerto Rican alto saxophonist Miguel Zenon returns to the quartet lineup that he has not explored on an album exclusively since 2009's "Esta Plena." For those unfamiliar with the Miguel Zenon quartet, it consists of Zenon, Venezuelan pianist Luis Perdomo, bassist Hans Glawischnig, and drummer Henry Cole. Recorded in 2016, the album is a self-released project, funded by a Kickstarter crowdsourcing campaign.

Zenon's music largely follows the aesthetic he has previously established with his previous quartet releases. The compositions are riddled with complex polyrhythms and knotty counterpoing, always handled nimbly by the rhythm section. The opening track, "Academia" is a good example, beginning with an ostinato piano pattern before Zenon and the rest of the band let loose with a roller-coaster of a melody that seems to push and pull at the underlying current of the music. A standout track, "Entre las Raices" is no less complex, but finds the quartet exploring melody in a much less structured form. Beginning with a free improvisation, a rhythmically-driven written melody eventually reveals itself, but soon the band delves back into interactive free improvisation territory.
>>
>>73375341
Though the music can probably be most accurately identified as post-bop, Zenon's (and Perdomo's) roots in traditional Latin music shine through often. The title track hints at a clave feel with another ostinato piano pattern harmonized in thirds and reminiscent of a traditional montuno. The track is an excellent example of how Zenon blends the complexities of modern jazz with his folkloric roots. Another obvious example of the folkloric aspect of Zenon's music is the closing track "Las Ramas" which begins with a simple piano progression and a whistled melody that has an air of tradition to it.

Also included are several lovely ballads. On "Cantor" Zenon's earnestly expressive tone is the highlight, though Perdomo's sensitive and richly colorful voicings add the perfect compliment. "Sangre de mi Sangre" begins as a delicate ballad with a Latin tinge but slowly develops to an exciting and energetic climax. Throughout the album Zenon and Perdomo shine in their solos, easily guiding the rest of the band through tricky rhythmic and harmonic material, but Glawischnig's and Cole's contribution should not be overlooked. They play with a close sense of interaction, referencing the form of the tune, while also remaining flexible and attentive to both main soloists.

Overall, it's another very strong statement from this quartet which long ago proved itself to be one of the best working groups in American jazz. Despite the complexity of many of the compositions and the subsequent improvisation, the music remains accessible and rooted in a folkloric tradition. Zenon's compositions serve as a strong canvas for the band, but in the end, it's the incredible chemistry of the quartet and their close musical interplay that push the music beyond "good" and make it exceptional. Highly recommended.
>>
File: mating call tadd dameron.jpg (82KB, 473x473px) Image search: [Google]
mating call tadd dameron.jpg
82KB, 473x473px
just starting to get into jazz, going through Davis's and Coltrane's discography. Figured they were the most well known and had some of the 'better' albums, so why not start there.
Pic related is first album thats kinda stopped me in my tracks.
especially like the title track and misty morn. Much prefer Coltrane than Dameron on this tho, the piano seems pretty tacked on most of the time with the sax taking centre
>>
>>73374419

also Yussef Dayes and Kamaal Williams are no longer working or performing together
>>
Right now i've moved to third stream jazz baby

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b43zXgvFEOY
>>
Moar third stream for your (((organic))) mind and soul

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KevHaSqdt7U
>>
>>73374704
Ohh lots of em
Love Supreme probably if you haven't heard it or any other Col-vant-garde album theyre all so grand (Meditations and Kulu Se Mama stand out for me "emotion"-wise) . Same goes for, ohhh idk, have you heard Spiritual Unity by Albert Ayler? It's a little harsh, how about Carla Bley's Escalator Over the Hill? Big band instrumentation, a lot like Black saint, but not as free jazzy
You can never go wrong with Dony Cherry's "Mu" (I know, I know) either just the first part or both parts together. Its quite bare-bones usually just trumpet/reeds and drums but I love the emotion with witch he plays on tracks like "Amejelo", "Brilliant Action" or "Terrestrial Beings"

Actually Escalator Over the Hill make the most sense for someone who just listened to Black Saint. Delve deep!
>>
HERE, a nice third stream/avant garde jazz. Knock yourself out

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLtLlUc8WoDhyO1yiRQVNMUS0DkFdX5yeb
>>
File: 71N7KWs9cOL._SX355_.jpg (19KB, 355x353px) Image search: [Google]
71N7KWs9cOL._SX355_.jpg
19KB, 355x353px
>>73370723
the answer is right here dumbass
>>
>>73377882
hey man the guy said he has autism, be nice
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.