[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Neil Young

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 3

File: NeilYoung.jpg (58KB, 750x490px) Image search: [Google]
NeilYoung.jpg
58KB, 750x490px
Favorite albums?
>1. Rust Never Sleeps
>2. On The Beach
>3. After The Gold Rush
>4. Harvest
>5. Tonight's The Night

>Favorite live album: Massey Hall
>>
Bet you never listened to Trans you cuck
>>
after the gold rush is my fav
>>73369457
this song is awesome, and trans has great cover art t b h
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNI-Sbiy8D8
>>
>>73369457
It is a good album - just wasn't in my top 5
>>
The second side of On the Beach is one of favorite moments in music
>>
>Favorite album
Rust Never Sleeps

>Favorite song
Cinnamon Girl

>Honorable Mentions
Sedan Delivery
Hey Hey My My

Plus if anyone hasn't seen it yet one should check out the movie The Human Highway which features Neil Young and DEVO!

I'm not going o get into detail about the plot but there's a great scene where Devo and Neil Young jam out Hey Hey My My where Mark Mothersbaugh sings the song in his "Boojie Boy" voice while wearing the "Boojie Boy" mask and Neil rocks to on the guitar while wearing a Never Mind The Bollocks, Her's The Sex Pistols t-shirt.. The movie has just been released on DVD. (Not sure if it's available on Blu-Ray yet though)
>>
1. Rust Never Sleeps
2. Live at Massey Hall
3. After the Gold Rush
4. Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere
5. Freedom
6. Hawks & Doves
7. Time Fades Away
8. Peace Trail
9. On the Beach
10. Harvest
11. Trans
12. Tonight's the Night
13. Comes a Time
14. Old Ways

I also like Storytone, Silver & Gold, and some others but I'm not sure where I'd rank them. Plus if we're counting bootlegs, Homegrown and Chrome Dreams are up there.
>>
>>73369582
Peace Trail that high? I may need to give it another try.
>>
>>73369543
Agreed. The whole album is god-tier.
>>
>>73369600
My opinion on it might still fade with time. I think the songwriting is basically as good as on Rust Never Sleeps, with like a Tonight's the Night mood and Harvest leanings. However, I haven't heard it in a while now.
>>
>No love for Zuma
>>
File: albums.png (1MB, 1372x932px) Image search: [Google]
albums.png
1MB, 1372x932px
I love that Neil always comes back for another Harvest type album
>>
>tfw missing rust never sleeps
fug
>>
>>73369426
On the Beach is the correct answer everyone.
>>
>>73369426
>he doesn't know about trans
>>
>still no Archives Vol. II with those 4 or 5 unreleased albums from his prime

why live
>>
>all these autistic transposters

of course /mu/ latches on to the meme album
>>
>>73369858
yeah, OTB really is untouchable.

I think people put Rust at #1 because of how dynamic it is.
>>
>>73369879
I've been waiting for it since forever.

I NEED to hear live versions and b-sides of the ditch trilogy.
>>
>>73369911
I have a couple glaring issues with On the Beach: that it mangles the best song on there (See the Sky About to Rain) and has one really trite song (Vampire Blues). By contrast, Welfare Mothers sort of makes me scratch my head but Pocahontas, Thrasher, and Powderfinger are next-level songwriting.
>>
>>73369998
See the Sky About to Rain? Mangled? How?
>>
Love Neil Young. Got to see him a couple years back. My favourite album is Tonight's the Night. My dad used to sing the title track a lot when I was really young, I have fond memories of that.
>>
>>73370044
I think it sounds awful on the Wurlitzer/with a band. On the live versions where it's just Neil on piano, it imparts the proper emotions, and the chord progressions have more resonance because they don't ring in that obnoxious way.
>>
>>73369998
Vampire Blues is the barrier between Side A and Side B.

Isn't supposed to be a genius piece of songwriting, just a chill jam session to usher in the GOAT "On The Beach" suite of the final 3 songs.
>>
>>73370114
I agree the live versions (especially Massey and Cellar Door) are better overall, but the album version fits much better with the rest of OTB's vibe.

Also, I'm a huge sucker for steel guitar, which the album version has in spades.
>>
>>73370146
lol I don't hate Vampire Blues, but I think we basically see it the same way, that it's just like OK filler at best. It doesn't have to be held to the same standard but at the same time it doesn't make me want to listen to it.

I like side B but there's also something cast-off about it, like Ambulance Blues is just one long, mellow rant.

The concept is also somewhat slipshod, although that can be said of nearly every NY album, where sometimes there's this idea of unity to it all but then it takes a weird left turn.
>>
>>73369426
1. On The Beach
2. After the Gold Rush
3. Tonight's The Night
4. Zuma
5. Ragged Glory

>favorite live album: Live Rust
>>
Harvest is overrated and quite mediocre, even Neil himself said so. Aside from track 9, there's nothing very interesting there.
>>
>>73371763
The Needle and the Damage Done? Oh man, that one hits hard when you've known people who died of smack.
>>
File: 48894984.png (363KB, 5000x5000px) Image search: [Google]
48894984.png
363KB, 5000x5000px
>>73371864
>>
Comes a Time is my favourite.

>Dat Four Strong Winds
>>
I dintd know
>>
>>73369998
Vampire Blues is great. It's got a lot of swagger and that awesome one-note guitar solo.
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.