[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>people used to have to buy an album before hearing it

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 2

File: 1497479497844.png (193KB, 559x558px) Image search: [Google]
1497479497844.png
193KB, 559x558px
>people used to have to buy an album before hearing it
>>
i couldn't imagine music being as expansive as it is now and buying records based on the covers
>>
Can you imagine just buying an album on the hopes that its not garbage?

The dark ages.
>>
>>73367257
How is this a good thing?
>>
>>73367295
> he can't interpret reaction images
>>
I still kinda do actually, but it has to be the right price and to have an appeal somewhat, I'm not gonna spend a lot of money on bullshit.
>>
>>73367257
Shops used to have listening booths and turntables so you could listen to a bit of it before deciding if you would buy it or not.
>>
>>73367257
This was only good for scammers like Jamiroquai/RHCP who sold millions of shitty albums only because they released good singles.
>>
>>73367257
What are you doing on 4chan Mr. Fripp?
>>
File: 1465476424775.jpg (89KB, 500x670px) Image search: [Google]
1465476424775.jpg
89KB, 500x670px
>people used to have to hear an album before they decided if it was good or not
>>
This is why singles, and even reviews, exist. Both of those things don't need to exist now.
>>
>>73367290
>Can you imagine just buying an album on the hopes that its not garbage?
Yes, because I'm 39. But, it wasn't just the cover, there were also album reviews and artist interviews. In spite of that, I still bought a lot of trash.
>The dark ages.
Yes, it was.
>>
>>73368230

I am sorry for what you had to go through, but you have emerged from your cocoon made of dumpster albums a grizzled veteran
>>
>>73368254
Thanks
>>
>>73367288
there were listening stations in record stores.................
>>
>>73368172
>Both of those things don't need to exist now.
They still do, because there is so much music now no one can possibly listen to it all. It comes down to time more than money, but time also = money, so
>>
Pros -- Actually have to listen to albums, makes you appreciate what you have, forces people to connect and talk about music

Cons -- Money, less music available, takes up so much space
>>
>>73368572
you could listen to mountains of music pretty cheaply - not like now, which is better, but there were ways

there was a used CD store that had a dude that curated the new release wall who had impeccable taste; i got so much off that wall - if you found a place like that, you could hear everything and immediately start a great collection with no duds
>>
>>73367349
jamiroquai are good though
>>
>>73367347
What happened if some pleb tried picking up a record with cheetos dust on his hands? Or put the needle to it and just SRKEEEEEK
>>
>>73368230
Do you still discover new music from recent years?
>>
>>73370574
Yes, that's why I browse/mu/
>>
>>73367257
no they didnt you idiot ever heard of bootlegs?
>>
>>73370914
You still had to buy a bootleg, idiot.
>>
>>73370914
yeah, a cheaper and sometimes shittier alternative for buying an album, that still costs money, stupid cunt
>>
>>73367257
Actually that's not true.
There was a time before the 1970s in the U.S. a person could actually listen to the album before purchasing it.

I don't know if they still do it today, but in European countries for a very long time people could listen to albums before purchasing it.

I know I had that option when I was in England a while back.
>>
>mfw I still occasionally blind buy CDs because the music hasn't been uploaded anywhere online
>>
>>73369533
Those were communal "test albums" that were for the sole purpose of listening in the record store.
>>
I was forever buying the second album from one album/hit wonders. Sucked.
>>
>>73367257
I still do this with artists I know. When I pre-ordered the vinyl I only listen to it when I get it. When the album turns out to be good it's a very memorable experience.
>>
>>73371051
Not if a friend ripped it for you, dummy.
>>
>>73368230
As a 39 year old do you question the point of living anymore now that your best times are behind you?
>>
>buy cd
>get home and rip it
>burn it into a cheap $.50 cd
>sell the original one or just take it back to the store and get a new one as a refund
>>
>>73373893
When you are 39, you'll realize your perception of time is drastically different from your current age. You may think 39 is forever away from your current age, but that's only because you've only been on this planet for like 10 years and some change. Kek
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.