[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

.........so? Is it good? Is it just as disappointing as m b v ?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 4

File: cover.jpg (52KB, 936x991px) Image search: [Google]
cover.jpg
52KB, 936x991px
.........so? Is it good? Is it just as disappointing as m b v ?
>>
Fuck it, it's a 5.
>>
>>73362120
out of...?
>>
>>73362120
5 it,it's a fuck
>>
>>73362103
but m b v was great, anon.
>>
>>73362142
Not nearly worth the wait; could have made for an interesting compilation of leftovers had it come out ten years before it did, now it stands as a monument of broken promises and unfulfilled hopes
>>
File: 9dc3ed40.png (501KB, 806x809px) Image search: [Google]
9dc3ed40.png
501KB, 806x809px
So they went and did it. I thought they weren't going to. Last news I had was that there were "talks" of a new album. Oh boy I bet it's mediocre, just like all comebacks. Pic related.
>>
How come I haven't seen any threads about this?
>>
bump for more opinions
>>
bump for more opinions
>>
I haven't listened to it; does it retake the early sound or continue down the Pygmalion road?

Does it sound dated? I bet it does :/
>>
mbv is perfectly fine.
Slowdive s/t is totally boring and at this point there's a laundry list of bands that do dream pop better than it.
>>
>>73362622
It follows their early sound, best way to describe it would be a more fleshed-out version of Just For A Day.
>>
>>73362622
>does it retake the early sound or continue down the Pygmalion road?
A mix of both. Sounds like Souvlaki dream rock with Pygmalion barebones, echoing production
>>73362622
>Does it sound dated?
Yeah, very much so. Would have been outdated even in 2000. At least their voices seem to be intact.

>>73362673
>mbv is perfectly fine
It's totally boring and at this point there's a laundry list of bands that do noisy shoegaze better than them
>>
>>73362622
there's hints of pygmalion in it
I think slomo's by far the best song and it's the best example of them evolving their sound
>>
>>73362723
Too bad it's also the opener
>>
It should be illegal for bands that have gone dormant for more than 9 years to release new music under the same moniker.
>>
>>73362759
Neil Halstead should just become a full time member of Sun Kil Moon at this point. Watched them with him on guitar and it was beautiful.
>>
boring album
>>
>>73362736
yeah. neil halstead said the next album will probably go down that kind of route though. he singled out slomo and falling ashes as the kind of sound they want to continue. i don't really like falling ashes though - it's the most pygmalion-like but there's just something missing from the atmosphere.
>>
>>73362832
>they want to continue
JESUS LORD NO
>>
>>73362844
slomo was fucking beautiful and the rest of the album is a 7/10
>>
What COULD have they done to make the album more up-to-date? To make it sound more 2017 without sacrificing their musical idiosyncracies?
>>
>>73362916
what the fuck is everyone talking out
it doesn't sound dated
if it really sounded like it came out in the '90s then it might have been as good as souvlaki
>>
>>73362916
Maybe throw in some droney, noisy electronics into the mix, and while we're at it, mix the drums in a way that doesn't make them sound like they're a machine. The gutiar tone is a bit retro, too.

But really, it was doomed from the start. The whole genre is outdated.
>>73362959
>it doesn't sound dated
It literally sounds like a collection of b-sides from 1990-1995 down to the production values and steady 4x4 jangle pop song structures
>>
>>73362916
>What COULD have they done to make the album more up-to-date?
Timbric variety
>>
>>73362959
It *really* sounds like it came out in 1997 dude
>>
>>73363049
>>73362991
literally all of their '90s songs and demos are more atmospheric than the 2017 album. the production definitely sounds more modern.
>>
>>73363126
So it's less atmospheric. Doesn't mean it doesn't sound like it came out 20 years ago.

Really, what sounds "new" about it?
>>
>>73363049
is that supposed to be a bad thing
>>
File: 1428213342571.jpg (28KB, 500x378px) Image search: [Google]
1428213342571.jpg
28KB, 500x378px
They should've expanded their minimalistic Pygmalion sound
>>
>>73363154
I guess not if you hate innovation and progress. But even then, why bother with new releases at all if you can relisten to the classics?
>>
>>73363152
seriously just compare it to any of their old songs, they sound like they came out in the '90s, this really doesn't. it's not any one aspect that sounds new. I'm sorry I can't explain it in any less vague terms, it's just how it feels to me.
>>
>>73363258
>this really doesn't
It really does, though.
>>
>>73363295
it sounds more like any other modern dream pop album
>>
>>73363337
That's probably because "modern" dream pop is based around trying to sound as retro as possible
>>
>>73363356
I can still listen to a modern dream pop band without knowing the year and know it was released in the 2010s
>>
>>73363356
Only Fallen Ashes sounds contemporary, funny enough
>>
>>73363379
Sure you can.
>>
>>73363401
holy shit I fucking can it's not difficult to recognise modern production at all
>>
>>73363419
I believe you believe what you're saying
>>
>>73362239
Lush was mediocre from the beginning so I dunno if that one really counts

>>73363180
They should've but this is an interesting direction too.
It sounds a lot like LSD And The Search For God and their jangly shoegaze revival stuff. It's not the worst thing in the world and it's grown a lot on me but I imagine you'd have to be a big shoegaze and/or Slowdive fan to be really excited about it

Also a lot of the songs on it are way too long. Slomo is seven minutes long and Falling Ashes is eight and neither one justifies its length
>>
>>73363625
>Lush was mediocre from the beginning
Opinion discarded
>>
Fuck all of you I think the album is gorgeous, why are you trying to decide whether it sounds modern or not?

Objectively speaking, this album is a worthwhile addition to their discography.
>>
>>73362103
Honestly, it's very good, at least an 8.5/10. I didn't expect much from it because it's a reunion album, but in my opinion it is actually better than Just For a Day. Many of the complaints against this album consist of "it's not innovative, therefore it must be bad," but I disagree strongly. If you think Slowdive were ever innovative, you're wrong. For the most part, Slowdive were just creators of great pop music, and this new album proves that they still are. Even Pygmalion, by far their most adventurous endeavor, was simply a more shoegaze-y take on Talk Talk's final two albums, but that doesn't mean it's bad at all. In fact, it's still one of my favorite albums, no matter how """innovative""" it was. On this new LP, Slomo, Star Roving, and Don't Know Why are easily career highlights. As a whole, it is much better than m b v, though I'd argue that m b v is better than Isn't Anything.
>>
File: 1486660552534.jpg (13KB, 216x225px) Image search: [Google]
1486660552534.jpg
13KB, 216x225px
>>73363625
>Lush was mediocre from the beginning so I dunno if that one really counts
>>
>>73362103
Join us in the JQBX room to talk about it
>>
>>73363625
>It sounds a lot like LSD And The Search For God and their jangly shoegaze revival stuff.
def giving this a listen now
>>
>>73363918
I'm just saying it's one thing to play music that, while not necessarily groundbreaking, at least offers a fresher, more up-to-date (and eventually extremely influential) take on a recent sound (the 90s Slowdive sound can't really be traced much further back than the mid-late 80s), and a completely different one is to go dormant for so long that someone born after their previous album could drink, smoke, drive, vote and own guns by the time the followup was released, only to offer something that doesn't build up at all from where they left. It's as if they recorded the album right after Pygmalion, completely forgot about it and then decided to release it now. It's not a bad album by any means, but its impact is severely dampered by how much they missed the proverbial boat. I still like it, I just think it wasn't really worth the trouble at all.

At least it's less of a disappointment than m b v.
>>
>>73363950
>JQBX
the wat now
>>
>>73363757
>>73363939
Post your addresses so I can come fight you on this
Split is one of the most overrated 90's shoegaze albums and that's saying a lot

>>73364045
Yeah I didn't like it at first because I think Slowdive is/was far ahead of those bands and I wish they could put out something a little more distinct but it's def enjoyable if you like that sound a lot
Plus it beats the hell out of that last garbage EP LSD put out
>>
>>73364776
>Split is one of the most overrated 90's shoegaze albums
No one ever talks about that album, and Spooky is a classic up there with the big three, and with good reason. You're weird and your shit's fucked.
>>
>>73364311
Are you fucking cooked? Shoegaze was dead by the time pygmalion was released. The entire reason they broke up in 95 was due to creation records dropping them
>>
>>73365145
>non_sequitur.txt
Funny how I didn't mention shoegaze in my post
>cooked
ok
>>
>>73365192
So your opinion is that slowdive isn't heavily involved in the shoegaze genre? Hmmm
>>
>>73362126
rate your music max score
>>
>>73365389
What? Are you following this convo or shitposting for shits and giggles?
>>
>>73365758
I am following the conversation a bit but I would take it more seriously if you knew what you were talking about, but im really not getting that vibe from you.

No offence of course.
>>
>>73367090
So, you don't understand what I said, therefore I don't know what I'm talking about. Gotcha.
>No offence of course.
Yeah, ok
>>
It's just a less interesting version of Just For A Day. I can hear the chord changes and melodic movements in my head before they happen, the epitome of predictable. Which is too bad, Pygmalion is a fantastic record, and if they had chosen to work from their with the last 20 years of technological advancement at their fingertips, they could have made something interesting/ Instead, they cashed in with an album that sounds like any other Bandcamp dreampop album.

Hell, I could write and record a better album than this in a night.
>>
>>73362120
i get this reference.
Thread posts: 61
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.