[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Question to all the guitarfags out there; Recently I brought

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

Question to all the guitarfags out there;

Recently I brought my strat to the guitar store for a refurbishing, and I just got a call from the guy who owns the place and he says that there is a tear in the body underneath the bridge (straight through where it's screwed on the body) which causes the bridge to be unstable and he cannot finish finetuning and polishing the guitar because of this.

He told me it would cost about €200,- (about $225,-) to fix this, and on top of that would come the rest of the costs (€100,-) which would bring it to a grand total of €300,- just to get this guitar fixed up.

Thing is, I bought this guitar for about €350,- second hand some years ago. It's serial number is MN3127128. I did some research and apparantly it was manufactured in Mexico in '93-'94. This is all I know. I have no idea about the quality of the guitar or what have you, and I'm wondering if it's worth it to spend another €300,- ($337,5) just to get it fixed. Pic related; it's the guitar on the left.

Info and advice would be appreciated so much!
>>
its just a piece of fucking wood
the fact you brought it somewhere to get "polished" and "refurbished" precludes any chance of you actually knowing how to play the instrument anyway

my advice would be to kill yourself
>>
>>73359549
Oh yeah, because being a luthier is required to be a musician. Go kill yourself you elitist sack of shit.
>>
>>73359549
It's called getting a set-up, you idiot.
>>
>>73359549
that made you feel good i bet
>>
>>73358972
How much do you like playing this guitar? Do you like the way the neck feels and how it sounds?

If you do, get it fixed.

A replacement guitar will be more than €300, especially since this guitar has a aftermarket pickups (a Seymour Duncan in the bridge and (possibly) Dimarzio pickups in the middle and neck positions.)
>>
>>73359907
If it would be restored to it's previous glory, it would be sweet. Despite the fact that I really can't reach beyond the 17th frets and there is a tremolo in the way of my hand, it has some sweet features.

The hotrails sound pretty sick, the tone knob has been changed to a single coil/humbucker switch instead of a tone, and the Floyd Rose patented bridge allows for some neat tricks if I would ever use it (despite the fact that the tremolo bar is in the way of my hand like all the time, so I mostly just play without it).

It's actually pretty shitty in fact, because it's a right-handed model turned left-handed so there's basically only downsides, but that makes her kind of special I guess.
>>
>>73359907
To add, the emotional value is pretty big, but I'm more wondering about the current day value/relative quality that people hold to this (Mexican '93) kind of guitar is.
>>
>>73360168
>current day value/relative quality
It won't have a lot of value. It's missing a knob, the finish is chipped, and a lot of Strat players don't like the Floyd Rose bridge.

But you can look online and estimate:

https://reverb.com/marketplace?query=HSS%20Stratocaster%20Floyd

http://www.ebay.com/sch/Electric-Guitars/33034/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=HSS+Stratocaster+Floyd
>>
>>73358972
He's asking a fair price.

The fix is to glue the crack and place the guitar in a vice to hold it in place for a couple days while the glue sets. Then repaint and refinish the instrument.

I would do this instead:

http://www.warmoth.com/Showcase/ShowcaseItem.aspx?Body=2&Shape=1&Type=81&Path=Body,Stratocaster,Vintage&i=S8888#.WUGGe4WcG3A

Warmoth is an authorized Fender parts dealer so the specs are all Fender. You have nice electronics and nice hardware.

Just unscrew the pickguard and the input jack. and take off the bridge and the neck and screw it on to the new body.

The body itself isn't super tough.

Buy any can of spray paint you want. Spray the body about three times with this color. Buy a nice Nitrocellulose laquer and apply that about 7 times letting it dry for 24-36 hours between each application of paint/laquer and you'll have a really nice guitar with your personal color.
>>
>>73360438
That's a body drilled for a vintage tremolo. OP's guitar has a Floyd.

Are you stupid, or intentionally trying to sucker OP into wasting money?
>>
>>73360438
Actually, one of the previous owners was aware of this tear and used epoxi-glue to try and patch it up, which didn't work. He told me he would do a more permanent fix, with a metal brace or something.
>>
Guitars barely matter. In the end, it'll be eq'd to death on the recording anyways
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.