[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Bjork's Dancer in the Dark / Selmasongs

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

File: Dancer-In-The-Dark.jpg (125KB, 672x992px) Image search: [Google]
Dancer-In-The-Dark.jpg
125KB, 672x992px
Finally watched the film Dancer in the Dark the other day - fantastic film, highly recommend it, especially as it gives emotional weight to Selmasongs even if the songs are different in the film given each scene's context.

If you've watched it, what do you make of it? What other artists have made fantastic film soundtracks?

Vespertine > Vulnicura > Selmasongs > Medulla > Homogenic > Biophilia > Post > Volta > Debut
>>
Very good film, made me bawl my eyes out. People act like it's not one of von Trier's best but it really is. Better than Breaking the Waves too. I think Bjork's music is great, but better in the context of the film than on it's own.
Other than Selmasongs our rankings aren't too dissimilar so I'd guess you'll move it down after a while.

Vulnicura > Vespertine > Medulla > Homogenic > Biophilia > Volta > Selmasongs > Music from DR9 > Post > Debut
>>
>>73355388
>Finally watched the film Dancer in the Dark the other day - fantastic film, highly recommend it, especially as it gives emotional weight to Selmasongs even if the songs are different in the film given each scene's context.
bjork hated it lmao
>>
don't remember the songs, but I really liked them. movie was ok, I prefer dogville t b h. bjork was cute
>>
>>73355536
Source? I know she absolutely hated filming it and refused to ever be in a film again (until husbando's art film), but did she say she actually hated the film itself. I've heard Lars isn't exactly easy to work with
>>
>>73355528
Prior to watching Dancer in the Dark, Selmasongs was below Biophilia in my list since I didn't know the context - I guess it probably belongs there since, as you say, out of context it isn't as powerful

Also nice taste anon - still need to listen (and watch) Drawing Restraint 9

>>73355536
Didn't she want to change the end and she called von Trier sexist or something? The only misogynistic characterization I could see was in Linda being a vapid housewife, but nothing really about Selma screamed 'sexism'
>>
>>73355388
Film is wonderful, and Bjork was wonderful in it.

I find it difficult to rank her albums since i love them all to a certain degree, but i can say that Vespertine and Vulnicura are probably my favourites, with selmasongs and medulla not being far behind.
>>
>>73355584
>Didn't she want to change the end and she called von Trier sexist or something?
yeah pretty much.
>>73355568
you can literatlly just type bjork lars von and get numerous results about how unhappy she was filming it and how the ended wasn't to her liking.

i liked the film tbqh
>>
>>73355388

I've been putting off watching this because I know it will depress me. I don't want to see sad Bork. I'll probably watch it sometime since I have a feeling I will really love it as a film, and I liked Selmasongs.
>>
>>73355584
Don't go into Music from DR9 expecting a cohesive album. It has a few gorgeous songs like Bath and Gratitude, but mostly it's just instrumental stuff experimenting with Japanese instruments and the brass that you hear on Volta. I only like it as much as I do because I have a hard on for the shō and Will Oldham
>>
>>73355617
oh yeah no I cried like 3 times, it's heartbreaking

>>73355602
I think the ending's perfect - when Kathy tries to get Selma out of prison and a second trial I was dreading that the ending was going to be all smiles and sunshine but I'm so glad it ended the way it did
>>
>>73355647
>smiles and sunshine
>Lars von Trier film
lmao
>>
>>73355657
breaking the waves had a happy ending :)
>>
>>73355669
hahaha I guess the church bells were kind of optimistic, just a shame everything leading up to it was brutal
>>
>>73355388
>Sometimes, Bjork can't help proving that she is one the most over-rated songwriters of the 1990s, and she manages the task wonderfully on Selmasongs (Elektra, 2000). Cvalda and I've Seen It All are probably the least pretentious tracks here, and it is no surprise that they rank also among the most sincere. Elsewhere, orchestral arrangements and synthetic rhythms (both designed and performed by other musicians) reduce her voice to a mere marketing device for what is, ultimately, passionate easy listening set to dance beats, "show tunes" in the most conservative Broadway tradition.
-Piero Scaruffi
>>
>>73356994
>passionate easy listening set to dance beats, "show tunes" in the most conservative Broadway tradition.

That's the point of most of the songs
>>
>>73355388
I enjoyed it, at least as much as I can enjoy von Trier's work. I think he is a hack and a terrible filmmaker. That being said, Dancer in the Dark is by far my favorite of his (that I've seen thus far).

Homogenic>Vulnicura>Vespertine>Post>Biophilia>Debut>Medulla>Volta>Selmasongs
>>
>>73357217
Melancholia one of the best films of the century
How could you possibly say he's a terrible filmmaker?
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.