[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

HELP ME FIND BEST ZAPPA

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 6

File: Frank_Zappa_-_Uncle_Meat.jpg (59KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
Frank_Zappa_-_Uncle_Meat.jpg
59KB, 400x400px
recently been getting into this mans music more. I really like his composing, but not wild about his comedy rock records n such. What is a great record by him that is more like uncle meat or Hot Rats and less like Joes Garage or Apostrophe.

MUCH THANKS!
>>
>>73351387
its hard to say, burnt weeny sandwich is probably what you should check out next but dont rule out his 70s output because roxy, one size fits all, and zappa in new york are all amazing i personally love all of his music including yerbouti and joes garage so stay open minded and these albums will grow on you however apostrophe and overnite sensation are not very good imo
>>
File: We're Only in It for the Money.jpg (1002KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
We're Only in It for the Money.jpg
1002KB, 800x800px
You need this, Burnt Weeny Sandwich, and both Lumpy Gravys (they are different—the first edition is entirely orchestral and the second is basically a companion piece to Money).

Following that, Absolutely Free, Waka/Jawaka, Grand Wazoo.

If you like Money/Lumpy Gravy you can listen to the sequel he made 25 years later, Civilization Phaze III. It's a bit different instrumentally but similar in spirit.

There's also Orchestral Favorites and his London Symphony Orchestra recordings but they're not quite as fulfilling as they might sound.
>>
Also, Zappa's early film scores are cool (The World's Greatest Sinner and Run Home Slow)
>>
>>73351591
>>73351741
>>73351794

thank you for your help my friends. I have plenty to listen to starting with burnt weeny.

is 200 motels anything good?
>>
File: sleep.jpg (59KB, 500x500px)
sleep.jpg
59KB, 500x500px
>>
File: mothers.jpg (3KB, 225x225px)
mothers.jpg
3KB, 225x225px
>>73351986
200 Motels was from the Vaudeville period but you can see a lot of earlier and later FZ in it as well. Frank really liked Flo & Eddie and their antics. George Duke first appeared in this set on trombone of all things.

Also, this was the first period that the critics really turned against Frank and he went over the top to basically say Fuck You to them.

Pic related, and Just Another Band from LA are the epitome of this period
>>
File: zappaography.png (2MB, 1750x2795px)
zappaography.png
2MB, 1750x2795px
Found a breakdown
>>
>>73352262
i think the filmore east record is one of his best live albums. tears began to fall is an all time favorite and i love the turtles cover among many others.
>>
File: Zappa Col.jpg (2MB, 2560x1440px)
Zappa Col.jpg
2MB, 2560x1440px
>>73352304
> dried muffin remnants
>>
>>73352306
oh yeah. Bongo Fury is still my favorite live album, unless you count the dozen guitar solo albums. 200 Year Old, Cucamonga and all the Beefheart bits make it a great record.
>>
>>73352348
i want to get more into bongo fury. muffin man might be my favorite zappa song (impossible to choose desu) but i haven't really spent a whole lot of time outside of a couple of listens with that one.
>>
>>73352363
Muffin Man might be the song that got a whole generation hooked on FZ, although Stinkfoot probably got more FM airplay in big markets.

Saw them at Winterland in December '75 and by that time Frank and Don weren't even speaking to each other and went on separately.
>>
>>73352363
>>73352388
and yeah, I'm 60 and browsing 4chan, so take it with a grain of salt
>>
>>73352388
that's really awesome, anything worth sharing at that concert? what did he play? i really want to go to zappa plays zappa next time it comes around, i think it would be a blast.

as for muffin man, the main riff is so killer and its the perfect example of frank's soloing, whats not to love? that intro is great too.
>>
>>73352398
lol im about to turn 28 in august and i've been coming to /mu/ since i was 17. as long as the feds don't take the site down i plan to shitpost when im 60
>>
>>73352465
I am always amazed and happy about people getting into Zappa who were kids or not even alive when he died. He has staying power, that is for sure. Did you get into him from Dweezil or your dad or what?

When I was about 12, my older sister and her biker bf used to wear out the cassette copy of Fillmore. I was infected right away and have been a carrier ever since.
>>
>>73352451
for starters, Beefheart went on first, noodled about with his band for a couple songs and basically got booed off the stage, yelling Fuck You to the audience.

Frank put on a great and long set, closing with Muffin Man and "Good Night San Francisco and fuck Rolling Stone!". They had been dissing him since he broke up the Roxy band.

The setlist is here: http://www.zappateers.com/fzshows/7576.html ... the 12/27/75 show
>>
>>73352520
my first experience was in highschool at some point one of my best friends had discovered shiek through a friends dad's record collection, i had heard a lot of rumblings about frank but never really had a way to access his music yet. all i really knew at this point was i liked the song baby snakes.

i think a year or so later /mu/ put me onto hot rats, i went out and decided to buy a copy but outside of peaches i was pretty cold to the album. i don't think it was what i was looking for at the time. quite a few years later i heard "whats the ugliest part of your body" and instantly fell in love, started buying his albums used in various second hand shops and the obsession grew. joe's garage was the first album of his i really got into and loved. that along with absolutely free and sleep dirt are my favorites and i recommend them all the time.
>>
A great live boot is Eyes over Osaka, or Eyes of Osaka, from 1976. Has original Black Napkins, Zoot Allures, Ship Ahoy, and others. It's on YouTube
>>
>>73352628
Warner bros used to put out samplers in the late 60s onward. They were a buck a disc and were great. Zappa, Beefheart, loads of others on the label. Early Alice Cooper and so on. It's a good way to check out lesser known artists of the era.
>>
zappa was a hack
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.