[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/dark/ General: It's Been Too Long Edition

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 88
Thread images: 5

File: 1495522061814.png (304KB, 394x299px) Image search: [Google]
1495522061814.png
304KB, 394x299px
Dark culture people of /mu/, it's been too long since our last thread. ITT we discuss
Goth Rock
Post-Punk
Deathrock
Dark Wave
No Wave
Cold Wave
Ethereal Wave
Industrial
And Post-Industrial styles like Industrial Rock, Neofolk, EBM, and so on.
>>
POST-AGGROTECH MARILYN MANSONIZED INDUSTRIAL ROCK BANDS POWERRANKING

Psyclon Nine > nu-Combichrist > Tim Skold >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>POWER GAP>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Devil-M > Dawn of Ashes > Freakangel>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>POWER GAP >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Davey Suicide
>>
What's your favorite /dark/ look? I like the 80s business kind the most generally, but more traditionally goth-y stuff is the best when someone puts effort into not making it look like ass.
>>
>>73351525
OP here, I just dress generically goth or tease my hair out on club nights.
>>
>>73351525
Whatever you'd call this
>>
>>73351525
floofy siouxsie-like 80s goth rocker for girls, with winklepickers and leather jackets. Also I kinda like the Strawberry Switchblades' look but not their derivatives.

grimy rugged goth rivethead for dudes, with combat boots and dust. You know, everything from Skinny Puppy to Combichrist. It's clearly more of a stage costume look but I like it a lot.
>>
>>73351590
what the fuck is "generically goth"? Do you wear a chainmail shirt, a helmet and breeches?
>>
>>73351618
incoherent and confused
>>
>>73351664
That's historically goth niglet, by generically I mean mostly black clothes, black shoes, with the only other colors being dark shades of blue, green, purple, or grey and makeup.
>>
>>73351681
explain
>>
>>73351730
it looks like an uninspired mashup of goth accessories from three different decades

>>73351719
yeah but what kind of black clothes? Tracksuits and snowboots?
>>
>>73351768
Do you not know what goth is or something?
>>
>>73351793
do you?
cause it's really fucking nebulous and you've simply described it as "black clothes and makeup"
>>
>>73351930
Goth as a music genre is nebulous, goth as a fashion not so.
>>
>>73352075
it actually is very nebulous, it's a weird gray area between new romantic, punk, rivethead and all sorts of later trends it combined itself with as time went on.
>>
>>73352107
Goth's fashion attributes have been well defined for over 30 years, not seeing the confusion here.
>>
>>73352075
>goth as fashion not so

Lil Peep and his cohorts describe themselves as the "gothboi clique"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rkJ3L5Ce80

Look at them and tell me again that goth fashion isn't nebulous.
>>
>>73352139
Goth fashion isn't nebulous, those are guys misattributing the label.
>>
>>73352134
They haven't. Goth's feshion attributes were either borrowed from other fashion trends or co-opted by other trends to the point where a random slut with black lipstick and pigtails can call herself "goth" nowadays. Goth fashion is a labyrinthine mess of successive trends that range from business suit dracula to neon latex raver and also trendy high-end sportswear that happens to be black and white
>>
>>73352165
Unless you're about to pillage Rome, you're misattributing the label too.
>>
>>73352179
You're conflating the heavily disputed sub-categories with goth fashion as a whole, there's still a core and essential goth type of dress existent within the culture, of which being black clothes, makeup, and sometimes accessories like band merch, fishnets, and jewelry. Hence why I say, black clothes and makeup as generically goth.
>>
>>73352188
Not from the perspective of the music culture, no. If I were talking about a tribe, then yes.
>>
>>73352165
Goth fashion isn't nebulous, those guys are masturbating at the highest level.
>>
>>73352228
*we're
>>
>>73352217
Yeah but here's the thing: you don't wear "generic clothes" as an individual. You wear very precise, specific clothes, that make you belong to a subcategory whether you want it or not.

Unless you LITERALLY mean "generic" as in "representative of a given genre" and you didn't specify which.
>>
>>73352265
I did, generically goth. What's so hard to grasp? Black clothes and makeup is the typical and most common fashion you will see in goth culture and has existed in the canon since the culture's inception in 1982.
>>
>>73352296
>what's hard to grasp?
I told you: which KIND of black clothes and makeup.

Unless you're a weird abstract transcendental subject, you don't wear "generically goth" clothes because that's way too vague to physically exist. We aren't in 1984, the spectrum of goth doesn't range from Batcave to Deathrock anymore (and even then it's already pretty loose).
>>
>>73352322
It isn't vague, you're just overcomplicating the subject. Generically goth, it really is that simple.
>>
it literally isn't. Why did you answer "generically goth" to a question that asked you which specific style of /dark/ outfit you liked, knowing full well that goth isn't a specific style, but a vague family of styles and trends?

Are you just some kid who picks the darkest possible sweatpants and t-shirts when his mom takes him shopping for clothes at the mall, and then borrows her eyeliner?
Do you buy all your shit from Hot Topic because you trust their product selection to be accurately representative of a "generic goth" sensibility?

Cause that's what I'm getting from your posts. I'm not getting the idea that you shared fashion tips with Nik Fiend and Robert Smith.
>>
>>73351192
Bumping with my favorite contemporary goth band.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7XWXUQmApPM
>>
>>73352446
Because I dress goth, but in a very generic manner consisting of black clothes and makeup. Black clothes and makeup existed then, it exists now, and if the culture lasts another 30 years you'll see it then too. Why this upsets you so much is beyond me.
>>
>>73352569
I'm real eager to see you stroll around in your astronaut spacesuit that happens to be black with KISS makeup for dat maxximum goth cred.
>>
>>73352600
You're not helping your case.
>>
>>73352618
how fucking hard is it to simply say "I wear cargo shorts, flip-flops and wifebeaters" or "I wear trenchcoats and combat boots" instead of "GENERIC" like you're an alien who hasn't learned how to distinguish different sorts of human garments other than by comparing their color?
>>
Somebody is being a pretentious asshole in this thread.
>guess who
>>
>>73352670
The one who's pretending to be goth but knows that if he says anything specific about his fashion tastes he'll be outed as a pretender who doesn't know jackshit about goth fashion.
>>
>>73352460
Thanks for not being a shithead and arguing about fashion.
>>
>>73352696
talk shit post fit
>>
>>73352696
Actually I'm the OP/generically goth guy, but it is a music board so I figured I should post something more relevant.
>>
>>73352654
It's not hard, my fashion choices are just non-specific, because if someone says generic then they're talking about something plain and typical. I don't dress a certain category within goth except for my plain and simply goth clothes so a good description is generically goth. Because what's generic in goth? Black clothes and makeup, and that's exactly how I look.
>>
>>73352692
Or you, who only seems to give a shit about how people dress.
>You're not a REAL goth, you don't even know about the history and derivatives of it as a fashion style
>>
>>73352713
Speaking of relevant posts, I've been enjoying a lot more of The Damned's catalog as of late, it amazes me how varied their sound is from "New Rose" to "Grimly Fiendish."
>>
>>73352729
>simply goth
no such thing

goth happens as a result of a combination of specific clothes, makeup techniques and hairstyles, not just by picking clothes that are black and putting on some eyeliner
>>
>>73352758
Can't be me, I didn't even claim to be goth. I'm being vindictive, not the same shit as pretentious.
>>
>>73352770
But there is, it's black clothes and makeup.
>>
>>73352796
nondescript black clothes don't exist in real life
>>
>>73352788
>Vindictive
Which only worsens your case further, btw.
>>
>>73352802
Sure they do, otherwise we wouldn't call them black clothes.
>>
This thread has turned to shit.
>>
>>73352804
you're the one who's on trial here, remember
>>
>>73352814
>on trial
I didn't commit any crimes and I'm in my house, not a court of law.
>>
Can someone recommend dark ambient? I want to feel dead; anything with that kind of sound would be nice.
>>
>>73352812
wrong. We call them nondescript black clothes not insofar as they are worn by precise individuals, but insofar as clothes that may or may not exist may incidentally belong to that category.

This is why, if someone asks you "what kind of clothes do you wear", you shouldn't respond "generic clothes" because you can't wear abstractions.
>>
>>73352834
Good thing I didn't respond with "generic clothes" then.
>>
>>73352854
no but you seem to believe that black sweatpants make you a kindred of Count Orlock
>>
>>73352832
OP here, don't listen to dark ambient, but I know of a morose release that has elements of both Dark Wave and ambient if you're interested.
>>
This is why goth died.
>>
>>73352883
Whatever gives off a non-existent feeling, yeah.
>>
>>73352879
That's your conclusion, not mine. (Btw Orlock is a vampire, not a goth.) Anyway, this has gone on much longer than I should have allowed, your best bet at this point is to give it a rest. You haven't proven much and you've even admitted to being emotionally vested but the most you've done is shit up my thread and other posters and calling you on that. So I'm gonna leave it at I dress generically goth. Take it or leave it, don't let the door hit you on the way out if you go.

Now to continue on to my post on recent appreciation for The Damned, here's a song of theirs from an excellently /dark/ soundtrack.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=M1KPhPQnvkY
>>
>>73351525
Neofolk look. Milsurp, organic materials, camouflage and blackj wool. And paper maché masks.
>>
>>73351618
"thot"
>>
>>73352897
Not sure if it gives off non-existant, but if you haven't already heard of it then I suggest Pieter Nooten and Michael Brooks' "Sleeps With The Fishes" album from 1987. It's been highly praised for it's somber and intense atmospheres and sometimes cited as being in a dreary other world.
Link: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=p-Ngxk0bjSM
>>73352948
*are
>>
>>73353001
*its
>>
>>73351525
Gf dresses 80s. I'm a little more casual with my style. (Micheal from South Park would be a fine example).

I recently went through my YouTube and found this Netherlands album. Always happy to contribute.

https://youtu.be/gcs5I_pTYwo
>>
>>73351192
Bump
>>
>>73351192
OP here, wanna stay but I have a respiratory infection to sleep off. Take care of the thread.
>>
>>73353398
get well soon oh pee
>>
File: 1484366858383.png (178KB, 665x800px) Image search: [Google]
1484366858383.png
178KB, 665x800px
Who /gothboiclique/ here
>>
Contributing.
https://youtu.be/BGjeBrhSkQ0

Can anybody refer me to more neofolk? The Lone Descent was like going into a trashy ass bar and finding some cute girl to get thrashed with.
>>
Why isn't emo considered /dark/?
>>
>>73353769
why would it be
>>
>>73353512
>YEEEE!
>>
>>73353783
I'm not too familiar with the history/progression of the genres, but didn't emo come from post-punk? So why wouldn't it be in there?
>>
>>73353961
Emocore began in the mid-80's as an emotionally charged and politically progressive form of hardcore punk, centered in Washington, DC, as a response to the machismo of the larger hardcore scene. It's short for emotive hardcore. These bands are often tagged "harDCore" or "Revolution Summer" bands, and include artists such as Rites of Spring, Embrace, and Fuel. Later on, the "emocore" label was attached to bands such as Lifetime, Hot Water Music, and Jawbreaker.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JS-e-VjnMLg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mr_DMGZ-JrY
>>
>>73353512
Kys
>>
>>73353769
It's punk music turned indierock about youthful revolt and angst. Not really dark.
>>
>>73353709
I'm a Boyd Rice guy myself if you're into misanthropic humanism.
>>
File: folder.jpg (194KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
folder.jpg
194KB, 600x600px
More like this please??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Y54gqncqps
>>
>/dark/ thread
>Doesn't discuss dark ambient
Dissapointing
>>
>>73355061
Based off the shared song you might like this.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3MGrsxO6adU
>>
>>73355094
Then discuss it bruh, OP tried appealing to one dark ambient post but he said he didn't listen to much.
>>
>>73355109
Well seeing the rest of what this thread I can't imagine it'll fit all too well
>>
>>73355135
We had an argument about fashion between OP and some pretentious autist and a few mentionings of music, give it a shot anon.
>>
>>73355151
Just not my scene anon, can't get into it.
>>
>>73355304
Suit yourself.
>>
>>73355135
>>73355151
Just make a new thread, I don't want to read some autist's ramblings every time I open a thread.
>>
>>73355375
OP here, just woke up. Baking now.
>>
>>73355375
>>73355403
NEW THREAD >>73355501
NEW THREAD >>73355501
NEW THREAD >>73355501
Thread posts: 88
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.