[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Fleet Foxes/folk music

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

File: 8471.jpg (543KB, 960x960px) Image search: [Google]
8471.jpg
543KB, 960x960px
I have been listening to Fleet Foxes two albums and EP for a few weeks since /mu/ has been memeing their new album and I'm in love. Where do I go from here?
What other bands have the same lyricism and harmonies? Ive listened to Grizzly Bear and Father John Misty already.
>>
I like Fleet Foxes, but most indie folk is garbage, so your best bet would be to take in some of the stuff Robin himself would have been influenced by rather than his contemporaries (though there are still good ones like Joanna Newsom and Bill Callahan).

Obviously for the harmonies, Brian Wilson/The Beach Boys would interest you. In terms of the folk stuff, check out the classic guys like Dylan, Leonard Cohen, Townes Van Zandt and Nick Drake. Some of the less obvious stuff like Bert Jansch/Pentangle, John Fahey, Robbie Basho or Fairport Convention might interest you too. I you really want to get to the base of this stuff you can listen to the anthology of american folks music or Fahey's delta blues compilations. Basically just find some shit you like and then listen to the shit they liked and so on.
>>
>>73350730
forgot to mention Roy Harper and Tim Buckley.
>>
>>73350730

Came here to post this.

Would add Crosby Stills & Nash to that list as well

And also Wilco, though they're much more alt-rock they give me similar feels, not to mention Jeff Tweedy is a criminally underrated songwriter
>>
>>73350730
Thanks, yeah this is what I was looking for. I thought I hated folk because all I heard was like Bon Iver type shit, and wasnt really into it. But, I realized listening to Fleet Foxes that I dismissed a whole genre.
>>
>>73351280
>Jeff Tweedy is a criminally underrated songwriter
This.
>>
>>73350633
andy shauf writes really good indie/chamber folk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8s-Ezu5mzM

also cass mccombs, okkervil river, tom brosseau, ryley walker, older angel olsen albums too.
>>
File: 1478416818209.jpg (28KB, 500x514px) Image search: [Google]
1478416818209.jpg
28KB, 500x514px
>>73351280
>>73352407
I just listened to Yankee Hotel Foxtrot, and I love this guy.
I guess its not really folk rock, like you said, but thanks.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.