[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/jazz/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 9

File: IMG_3643.jpg (257KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3643.jpg
257KB, 1000x1000px
What's the best album in these subgenres/categories?

>hard bop
>cool jazz
>post bop
>free jazz
>fusion
>post 2000 jazz
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2olBE4C5_Gk

More guitar-focused jazz like this?
>>
>>73346381
>hands of a fat asian toddler
>plays like that
Fuck off Joe. Virtuoso is good.
>>
File: Davis.jpg (2MB, 1258x1203px) Image search: [Google]
Davis.jpg
2MB, 1258x1203px
Hello jazzheads.
I have a not-that-very big announcement.

Some time soon I'm going to be listening through the studio albums of Miles Davis.

I wanted some genera opinions of what his best/worst works are.
>>
File: wew.png (118KB, 1363x858px) Image search: [Google]
wew.png
118KB, 1363x858px
>>73346473
>not just listening to it all in order
>>
Is there a small group who can top The Quintet (with Herbie and friends)? They're so tight. Late Jazz Messengers comes close
>>
>>73346491
I am listening to them all in order.

I just wanted opinions on what albums are his best/worst.
>>
File: 00602537649686-cover-zoom.jpg (189KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
00602537649686-cover-zoom.jpg
189KB, 1000x1000px
relistening to this bad boy, Taylor is such an incredible player. I think i gotta check out more of his stuff, wondering what should i listen from him now.
>>73346473
personally, i'm not a fan of his fusion era. I feel like Miles was at his best in Miles Smiles desu, that's what i believe is his best album.
>>73346607
might be kind of cliche but Bill Evans trio is still fan fucking tastic. They just work so well with each other
>>
>>73346607
Yeah Bill Evans trio as Shamepai said and the Coltrane Quartet. Also Horace Silver Quintet with Blue Mitchell and Junior Cook is pretty consistent, also early Jazz Messengers with Clifford Brown, Lou Donaldson and Horace Silver. Those two aren't quite in the same league as the Miles Quintet but they're worth mentioning.
>>
>>73346308
>hard bop
John Coltrane- Blue Train
>cool jazz
The Chico Hamilton Quintet featuring Buddy Colette
>post bop
Miles Davis- Miles Smiles or Andew Hill- Point of Departure
>free jazz
Dave Holland- Conference of the Birds
>fusion
Joe Henderson- Multiple
>post 2000 jazz
Alex Sipiagin- Destinations Unknown
>>
I know we had a thread about this before but what are some of your favorite drum-heavy jazz records?
>>
>>73347051
I was referring to the VSOP quintet with freddie hubbard, wayne shorter et al, after their regular miles gig. The interplay between them is amazing, especially on their live recordings
>>
>>73348070
To me they were just never quite as good as when they were with Miles
>>
File: a1432765297_16.jpg (76KB, 700x700px) Image search: [Google]
a1432765297_16.jpg
76KB, 700x700px
>>73348041
>>
>>73348187
I've seen a lot of bad album covers in these threads but this might be the worst I've ever seen.
>>
>>73348374
It would look better if it was a higher res but other than that it's mediocre
>>
>>73346473
where is Birth of the Cool?
>>
File: saint john coltrane.jpg (415KB, 1074x733px) Image search: [Google]
saint john coltrane.jpg
415KB, 1074x733px
anyone have any questions or want reccomendations or anything? ive just purcahsed Charlie Hadens Battle of the Fallen and Barre Phillips Journale Violone II.
>>73346473
my favorites of those are Relaxin, Round Midnight, Milestones, Kind of Blue, Nefertiti, Filles De Kilimanjaro, Live Evil, On the Corner, and Get up With it. Frankly you can probably stop after Water Babies in my opinion.
>>73346607
Trane, Pharaoh, Jimmy, Alice, and Rasheid or just the Coltrane quartet in general. also maybe Keith Jarretts American Quartet from the 70's? Or either of the pre Prime Time Ornette Quartets.
>>73346756
If you havent then Unit Structures, also his early stuff with Steve Lacy. I was listening to him and Steve Lacy play at newport in the late 50s and GOD DAMN it was amazing. Also Jazz Advance. of course my favorite Cecil records are Silent Tougnes and the Garden cause i like his solo stuff most.
>>73348041
anything Trane with Elvin is pretty drum heavy and well...fantastic.
>>
Favorite jazz vocalists?
>>
>>73350533
Abbey Lincoln, Jeanne Lee, Sara Serpa, Sarah Vaughn, Nina Simone, of course Ella and Billie, I love some modern records with vocalists but its always someone ive never heard of or know other stuff by. also bonus round, Keith Jarrett.
>>
File: 51EwOJBTnLL._SY355_.jpg (30KB, 355x355px) Image search: [Google]
51EwOJBTnLL._SY355_.jpg
30KB, 355x355px
>post bop
>>
>>73350533
Lambert, Hendricks and Ross
>>
>>73346308
>hard bop
Relaxin' with the Miles Davis Quintet
>cool jazz
Chet Baker Sings (idk if it's really cool jazz though)
>post bop
Miles Davis - Four & More
>free jazz
Coltrane - Interstellar Space
>fusion
it all sucks; Weather Report - Black Market
>post 2000 jazz
Joshua Redman and Brad Mehldau
>>
File: fbq-with-cyrus-chestnut-1.jpg (76KB, 720x1080px) Image search: [Google]
fbq-with-cyrus-chestnut-1.jpg
76KB, 720x1080px
bump
>>
Thoughts on Ben Wendel and his latest album?
>>
Also, any good horn & drum duet albums/tracks you guys have to recommend? I'm only familiar with A Train off Joe Henderson's Lush Life and Interstellar Space
>>
>>73350805
>it all sucks
calm down man
>>
listened to this record Gary Burton and Keith Jarrett did together, plus Gary Burton's 'Throb'. There was some good music in all that, although it seemed pretty tangential to jazz. You know, fusion flavors, country flavors too. There were definitely several sounds novel to me which seemed rooted in that historical moment. That post-hippie pastoral vibe I guess was Burton's scene on Throb.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItQiJMi0KSw
the stuff with Jarrett was really great, a large mass of sound in much of it, jarrett a great match for vibes, they go all out. you know keith jarrett is always showboatin. much enjoyed.
>>
>>73352382
dude lol i was off base with my characterization of the burton/jarrett record as massive - there's like one pt where they are really rolling, but they're pretty polite for much of the record. jesus christ man.
>>
>>73351908
I was mostly joking, I do enjoy some fusion, but some of it's aged so poorly I find it hard to take seriously
>>
>>73346308
that one by that black man
>>
Did the golden age of jazz just go by with no spark to bring back maybe a silver age? Jazz has such a large following of composers and musicians but they're almost all dead now, and jazz hasn't really popped in the last few decades.

Or am I just hella out of touch?
>>
>>73346308
Wes Montgomery is my absolute favorite.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mbnvi0CpiF4
After that Hubbard is top tier on hard bop/fusion.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wA1ZelIbUfI
Armstrong is prolly my favorite our of the classic standard jazz guys.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzcpUdBw7gs
>>
>>73346473
I see you like Miles? I have his tv catalog and front door in my barn, no bullshit
>>
File: a-love-supreme-fagots.jpg (157KB, 1061x1059px) Image search: [Google]
a-love-supreme-fagots.jpg
157KB, 1061x1059px
>>73346308
A Love Supreme, you fagots. Best album ever.
>>
Eric Dolphy on FLUTE on Oliver Nelson's Blues & the Abstract Truth
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.