[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>going to college to study jazz in philadelphia How fucked am I?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 3

File: IMG_3103.jpg (44KB, 395x387px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3103.jpg
44KB, 395x387px
>going to college to study jazz in philadelphia
How fucked am I?
>>
Curtis?
>>
>>73326497
Nope, sorry mate
>>
>>73326537
where else is there jazz study in Philly?
>>
>>73326563
Temple
>>
>>73326487
u seen the movie whiplash?
i have one question for you - there is this line in the movie 'i'd rather die at 35 and be remembered than at [a lot] and nobody talk about me'.
the question is this - if he wanted to be remembered.. why he play jazz? LMAO
>>
>>73326487
It really depends on how good you are already. If you cant already reliably play something or other over ii-V-I, the major and minor blues, and like rhythym changes in all12 keys people will probably not take you seriously. It sucks but they kind of expect you to have already paid your dues.

>t. Jazz college dropout
>>
>>73326635
I've been playing guitar and sax since middle school, and playing jazz all through high school with my own band. I can play all those things, but I'm worried about the practicality of it all and my prospects after graduation as a music major
>>
>>73326487
>>73326635
How fucked am I if I'm going next September to music college and I've only been playing guitar for a year? So far I can't improvise much
>>
>>73326487
Come to Kansas City.
>>
File: YouLikeJazzBee.256.539162.jpg (9KB, 256x256px) Image search: [Google]
YouLikeJazzBee.256.539162.jpg
9KB, 256x256px
>jazz
>>
>>73326860
Is it bad that I have seen so many of these that I now remember the full trailer and can hear it in my head?
>>
if you have a free ride, go for it, if you are borrowing money or paying for it then you're an idiot. music school is for rich kids.

jazz is dead and you will never pay your student loans back by being a jazz musician
>>
did the man who invented jazz college go to jazz college?
>>
>>73326914
It's 2017, there's nothing wrong with being a homosexual.
>>
>>73326487
If you're not STEM

You're fucking retarded and a waste of space

Art is useless
>>
>>73326635
>>73326806
>>73326847
I'm not even convinced that colleges like Berkeley are more beneficial than private tuition. You are clearly going to be able to make connections and play with competent musicians, but what's the point of all the pressure to "succeed"?
>>
>>73327111
Oh, okay. Thanks!
>>
>>73327133
I just don't want to turn up and be surrounded by great musicians and hardly be able to play the only instrument I have
>>
>>73326847
I'd reconsider music as a hobby.
>>
>>73327163
Exactly. And let's face it, you aren't going to make a living being a young jazz musician, nor will you be able to pay off the ridiculous student loans required to even attend music colleges. And the final point I wanted to make, but someone beat me to it is:
>>73327187
If music genuinely makes you happy, build your own home studio, record your own music and don't dare make (jazz) music your primary or even worse sole mean of income.
>>
>>73327255
I'm not OP, and I'm not going to study Jazz, I'm going to study history and science (recording processing, etc.) of music. Does that make a difference? I'm just at a point in my life where I don't know what to do and my only enjoyment is in music, It's the only thing I can see myself doing
>>
Hey, can someone enlighten me on what music universities actually are? I don't think we have those (in france).

Is it to study musicology or to learn an instrument and music theory?
>>
>>73327131
Why are you on this board then?
>>
>>73327416
don't give him his (you)s, he should be rightfully ignored.
>>
>>73327401
I am going to Granada, in Andalusia, Spain, if that helps, if you want to study abroad
>>
>>73327436
No, I want to know the answer.
>>
>>73327438
Granada is a beautiful city, enjoy your time there man.
But i don't think you answered my question?
>>
>>73327369
>I'm not OP, and I'm not going to study Jazz, I'm going to study history and science (recording processing, etc.) of music. Does that make a difference?
Definitely. You won't have to spend anywhere near the amount of money you would have if you studied at Berkeley for example. And you could probably make enough money after college to support your hobby, which is presumably music.
>>
>>73327494
Ah sorry, I thought you were asking where they are.
Music colleges are just like regular colleges but centered on music. There are many different courses, like OP's jazz course, production, research (weird shit), history of music, a course to become a teacher, etc.
>>
>>73327530
thank, in france music studies aren't affiliated with colleges so i was a bit confused but you cleared it up.
>>
>>73327438
at UGR?
>>
>>73327505
Thanks man, it works out at 2800 euros more or less for four years, which I should be able to pay as I go with a job right?
>>
>>73327586
really? I know someone who studied abroad at Paris-Sorbonne and they were a music student.
>>
File: CgldEYQU8AA2MPn.jpg (34KB, 493x585px) Image search: [Google]
CgldEYQU8AA2MPn.jpg
34KB, 493x585px
>>73327640
>tfw paying 30k a year for college
>>
>>73327640
That's acceptable and doable even in a third world country I live in, which you're presumably not even in the vicinity of.
>>
>>73327695
damn, I guess mine is cheaper because it's not private, but some of my friends who are going to private ones are still only going to pay 12k a year
>>
>>73327717
Yep, I go to American University in DC.
>>
>>73327706
Spain
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.