[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why are rock fans so pretentious and ignorant?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 84
Thread images: 6

File: 1493898024478.png (327KB, 682x598px) Image search: [Google]
1493898024478.png
327KB, 682x598px
Every rock fan ever:

>"JIMI HENDRIX IS THE BEST GUITAR PLAYER EVER!!!" xD

>can't name more than five classical guitarists
>can't name more than five jazz guitarists
>can't name more than five flamenco guitarists
>can't name more than five American primitivism guitarists

all of these genres have masterful artists who eviscerate Hendrix in every way; from technique to skill to complexity to composition, but somehow this whole extension of music history just doesn't exist to rock fans.
>>
He plays with soul while Satrianni for example is pure technique.

You cannot reach his level of composition it's just out of this world.
>>
Rock is about energy and passion, excitement and fun, only flamenco comes close to that. They are not concerned by the nuances of composition and they don't think complexity is worthy as a goal in itself. Claiming Hendrix is a manifestation of that, there aren't tediously comparing every known guitarist they are freely praising a guitarist full of passion. You really need to improve your understanding of people and your vocabulary if "pretentious" is the level of your criticism.
>>
>>73322219
Jimi is just as much blues as rock
>>
>>73322240
Jesus fuck
"playing with soul manneeeeeee xDDDDD" is the most retarded shit on Earth. This was a myth manufactured by hippies who were too stupid/lazy to learn how to play their instruments
>>
>>73322372

Like the wind manipulate the tree so Hendrix hands were manipulated by higher forces.

He understand blues is not about being fast in the neck or just hitting a lot of notes, it's about hitting one note that reaches your senses directly and enter your mind thus making you experiment an objective truth out of his works.
>>
>>73322219
Jimi Hendrix is the best ROCK guitarist
>>
>>73322401
I want you to read that aloud to yourself
I then want you to jump out of a building for
A) being this bad at what you're doing
B) eing fucking retarded
C) talking like a dirty hippy
>>
>>73322443
So you are pissed off that you have to practice your guitar and so you thought you would come and shitpost, because you know even if you become the new Segovia you will still be regarded as a second rate behind Hendrix. Cheer up, perhaps one day you can impress people by playing the nokia theme.
>>
>>73322443

I'm not a hippie I just took a shower.

2nd. You don't understand the invisible hands that manipulate me while I write.

3rd. Establish ground control before you talk to Major Tom.
>>
>>73322219
I mean, the best rock group is the Ramones. Everyone else is basically just spicing the recipe. Rock music isn't really about playing well as much as it is about energy.
>>
>>73322480
Jimi practiced and knew theory are you fucking dumb
>>73322482
Think of your own shit if you're going to respond goddamn dork
>>
>>73322240
>>73322401

>"dude it's not about how good you play it's about how soulful and divine you are"

fuck off, the irony is that classical is God's music anyways.

>>73322283

>only flamenco comes close to that

>implying

people who think classical and jazz can't be exciting and fun have obviously listened to very little classical and jazz
>>
>>73322507
This desu , Jimi Hendrix owned the rock scene which is what most people probably know or refer to anyway
>>
>>73322219
>Every rock fan
You answered your own fucking question you dipshit, these are rock fans, who don't know of other genres outside of rock and when they proclaim Hendrix the greatest guitarist, are referring to the rock tradition.
>>
>>73322542

Establish ground control for Christ sake.
>>
>>73322219
Why is there so few recording of classical guitar work is my question
>>
>>73322543

If you want to talk about taste why don't you talk about colors instead. Wow, it will take us million years to discuss about who's better the chicken or the egg.
>>
>>73322219
I'm happy I don't know you in real life
>>
>>73322757
Dude ur gay. I just learned who John Fahey was and have suddenly decided he is the greatest of alltime (I even gave the Great San Bernardino Birthday Party a 5 on RYM!). Do yourself a favor and think the same, I know you won't because you're a plebian libtard, but I figured it was worth a shot.
>>
>>73322219
Rock people are the worst. Once upon a time, they were the most economically efficient and marketable thing, but now that DJ's and rappers have usurped that title, they're so fucking salty and useless. They're too thick-necked to pander themselves shifting trends, but also lack any spirit of experimentation or adventure to redefine themselves and move on. Truly stagnant human beings. Rock actually was the devil's music all along.
>>
i know this is bait but
>rock fans are so pretentious
>implies that you have to know an arbitrary number of musicians outside the genre to be considered unpretentious

step your b8ing game up, OP
>>
Classical autists like OP need to be systematically purged IMO
>>
>>73322906
people who steal others typing/syntax/way they speak should be shot LMAO
>>
>>73322443
>>73322372
Man I used to be just like you. Music isnt supposed to be taken so seriously, calm down my friend.
>>
>>73323048
>Music isnt supposed to be taken so seriously, calm down my friend.
Actually music is really powerful and really serious. That so many people have your attitude is part of why everyone in 2017 is retarded.
>>
Some say that life is but a joke but you and I we've been through that and it's not our fate.

So let us stop talking falsely now, the hour is getting late.
>>
>>73322328
In other news, water is wet
>>
>>73322401
>>73322240
>falling for tired bait
>>
>>73323119

You know Hendrix is a bad teacher? He plays way too dirty and out of tune but that's his main trick.

Gimmicks, gimmicks, people talk about gimmicks, isn't the world a big gimmick?

Yes, we do that.
>>
>>73322906

>classical
>autists

pick one

rock attracts angsty, edgy, rambunctious kids and teenagers

classical attracts older, wiser, educated intellectuals
>>
>>73322219
John Fahey is the greatest technical guitarist of all time, but Hendrix reinvented rock music. Fuck off.
>>
>>73322219
>American primitivism
lol nice try rockist
>>
>>73324024
>implying anyone but autists listen to classical music
>>
File: Screenshot_2.png (90KB, 359x340px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2.png
90KB, 359x340px
Why frogposters need to share their idiotic, uneducated opinions? I don't think i have ever seen a frogposter forming a cohesive argument or atleast managing to not come off as an complete moron.
>>
>>73324446

classical has the richest culture and tradition in the history of music. do you live in a bubble and get all your music info from /mu/?
>>
>>73324587
this desu. all frogposters should be lined up and shot
>>
>>73324024
t. listens to entry-level classical albums top-rated on RYM and thinks he knows shit
>>
>>73324715

I don't use RYM, it's garbage, they have fucking video game and anime soundtracks in their top 100 classical. I've been listening to classical my whole life, my parents introduced it to me while I was in elementary school.
>>
File: 34432.jpg (25KB, 455x424px) Image search: [Google]
34432.jpg
25KB, 455x424px
>>73322401
lmao
>>
>>73322372
faggot who has confused music composition and soul with technical skills detected
go back to listening to dream theater faggot
>>
>>73325438

there is literally no such thing as "soul" in music. it's just a marketing gimmick that retards fall for to make them think that boring unskilled music is special in some way because of how they think it makes them feel.
>>
>>73325510
Yes there is you dunce

It's the composition of the music and ability to actually convey feeling

Look at jap kids on youtube, they can play perfectly, but they can't make music at all. they are like robots
>>
File: 1480910473836.png (12KB, 500x294px) Image search: [Google]
1480910473836.png
12KB, 500x294px
>>73324234
C'mon now anon, I like Fahey too but that simply isn't true.
>>
>>73326069

it's not the music that conveys the feeling, it's the listener's interpretation/projection of their own feelings onto it. music is just music, it doesn't have its own emotion. don't buy into that hippie bullshit. it's literally just all noise. vibrations in the air.
>>
>>73322219
>Amercian Primitivism
how to spot a pleb who can only namedrop some obscure genres he found on RYM
>>
>>73324688
>Hillary fags are still this angry
>Kek still mocks them with Hitler dubs
>>
Please, give this a listen and then tell me that experimental flamenco is not the best thing ever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgAD6QhuR2I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wb_6G-N-l9c
>>
>>73327621
/pol/ are so bad at memeing this is all they can come up with
>>
>>73322401
Are you retarded? Most blues isn't about speed or technicality to begin with, so of course that is not a major factor in his style. But he DOES hit many notes in quick succession very often. Voodoo Chile (Slight Return) for instance. You damn idiot.
>>
>>73327670
>still thinking it's going to just go away
>>
>>73322719
Because most classical pieces are written for lute, there are quite a few recordings of those pieces.
>>
>>73322543
>classical and jazz
>exciting and fun
Do you wear a fedora too?
>>
>>73325510
t. Autist
>>73324686
Doesn't stop them from being autistic
>>
>>73328618

Guthrie Govan is probably the best player sitting in this chair but he's technique and too clean to be honest to be compared with Hendrix style of playing. They are highly skilled but conserve a different genre and way of the guitar.

You wanna know who's the best guitarist?

Y U NO ASK Rory Gallagher.
>>
>>73328564
I think this is bait, but if it's not then.... I pity you.
Btw who honestly wears a fedora ever?
>>
>>73328837
The worst part about this post is... I think you're not joking
>>
>>73328618

>y-you're just autistic

not an argument
>>
>>73328943
Wasn't joking about the first sentence.
I'm sorry dude, but if you thinks classical isn't exiting and fun then I really do pity you. You are really missing out dude.
>>
>>can't name more than five American primitivism guitarists

any good recs?
>>
Thank you for thread. Didn't read it, but thanks
>>
>>73329403
As exciting and fun as rock? I'm mainly a classical listener but even I don't think that, especially classical guitar which is often the blandest stuff in the repertoire.
>>
Autistic screeching: the thread

>>73322219
But seriously, don't expect most rock fans to know classical guitarists (even predominantly rock listeners who listen to classical to an extent) because musicians in rock are judged by different standards to classical guitarists, which comes down to the role of the guitarist in each genre.
In classical music, the composer typically intends the composition to be played by other musicians. Consequently, the musician has a very limited role in the composition of the piece other than expressive choices. On the other hand, rock music is most commonly composed by the musicians who expect to play the pieces themselves.
For that reason, classical guitarists have to be judged by how well they adapt the existing composition through technique and expressiveness, while rock guitarists are judged by both their composition and performance, so creativity and originality are more important to evaluating a rock musician.
This is why Jimi Hendrix is a celebrated guitarist; he's not the most proficient guitarist (he admits it himself) but changed how the guitar is played and perceived through his physical involvement (glissandos and bends) and electric involvement (distortion and feedback) in playing the instrument.
>>
>>73329798
Well I would agree that is more exciting for guitar. But I'll take symphonies over rock any day.
>>
What I always say is, I can't speak for the ancient masters but Paco de Lucia is the greatest guitarist of modern times.
>>
Joey Santiago>everyone else
>>
>>73329552
John Fahey is the only one can clearly be called a American Primitivist, the rest are harder to really classify since it was never a solid movement so much as one guy playing his own style
>>
As I do agree that Hendrix was not technically the best guitarist of all time he was the most influential guitar player of the era and he would inspire almost every rock musician up into the 80s (as far as popular music goes.) But even now he influences rock. He mixed blues with rock creating what we know today. He was the bridge between blues and rock
>>
They're rock fans, not classical fans. Not jazz fans. Not flamenco fans. Not American primitivism fans. Are you really surprised they like a rock guitarists?
How fucking stupid are you?
>>
>>73330745

but the thing is, these rock fans will make the claim that Hendrix is the greatest guitarist EVER. not just the greatest ROCK guitarist--I think the average rock fan isn't aware that guitar is used in other genres (besides metal).
>>
>>73330781
>what is hyperbole
>>
>>73322219
you said pretentious but I think you meant the antonym of pretentious
>>
>>73330781
Yeah in regards to rock
>>
When talking about best musicians, I usually say best musician in rock as opposed to the best musician. My knowledge in other genres is more limited so I don't claim that the best rock guitarist is the best guitarist across the board. The best guitarist in rock is Robert Fripp btw
>>
File: kpoprules.jpg (104KB, 500x513px) Image search: [Google]
kpoprules.jpg
104KB, 500x513px
>rock
>jazz
>classical
>flamenco
>primitivism

All of these genres are complete shit. Kpop guitarists are complete masters
>>
Why are memerap fans so pretentious and ignorant?

Every memerap fan ever:

>"KANYE IS THE BEST ARTIST EVER!!!" xD

>can't name more than five world musicians
>can't name more than five jazz musicians
>can't name more than five classical musicians
>can't name more than five avant garde musicians

all of these genres have masterful artists who eviscerate Kanye in every way; from technique to skill to complexity to composition, but somehow this whole extension of music history just doesn't exist to memerap fans.
>>
>>73325510

>being this autistic
>>
>>73322543
>classical is God's music
God is a neckbeard faggot
>>
>>73322219
>"REAL music!"
>>
File: you.jpg (232KB, 1024x682px) Image search: [Google]
you.jpg
232KB, 1024x682px
>>73322372

when people talk about "soul" they mean the emotion contained and expressed in a piece

>"muh complexity"
>"muh composition"

why are so many guitarists prima dona autists who can't groove and care more about wanking themselves off musically instead of the actual impact of the music?
>>
>>73322219
Jimi Hendrix wasn't even a good guitar player
>>
>>73335594
Says the guy who doesn't know how to play guitar
>>
>>73333757

see >>73325510
>>
>>73322219
>Every rock fan ever:
>>"JIMI HENDRIX IS THE BEST GUITAR PLAYER EVER!!!" xD

this is fucking stupid

of course a rock fan is going to rate hendrix about a fucking jazz guitarist
they are a rock fan
Thread posts: 84
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.