[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

NEVER FORGET /MU/, THE GRATEFUL DEAD ARE STILL AMAZING

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3

File: image.jpg (16KB, 310x162px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
16KB, 310x162px
NEVER FORGET /MU/, THE GRATEFUL DEAD ARE STILL AMAZING
>>
How do I into the Dead?
I think jam bands in general lose my attention so much quicker than any other genre. How do I fix this?
>>
>>73317277

Very much depends on what you like in music. Tight songwriting? Folky Americana? Fiery rock? Experimental psych excursions? Tear jerker ballads? Spacey lushness? Funky grooviness? They really are their own thing, not like any other band, for better or worse. They have plenty of terrible moments on record, but many brilliant ones too. Oh, and don't think of them as a jam band cause they are nothing like the allmans or phish or anybody else
>>
I know.
Here is my fav songs:
>Jack Straw
>Brown-Eyed Woman
>Ramble On Rose
All from the Europe '72 album
>>
>>73317342

If you like rootstock folk & Americana, American Beauty is a great place to start.

If you like wild experimental 60's psych rock, check out Live/Dead

If you want well played & well recorded 70's Rock, Mars Hotel or Blues for Allah are great.

Live? Depends again on what your ear favors. Different years of GD are very different in their sound, style, & flavor. It's like vintages of wine
>>
The grateful dead is pretty fantastic, one of my favorite bands throughout high school. Of course it's been 6 years since I graduated but I've recently been trying to listen to them again. Imo thier discography varies greatly in quality through the years but American Beauty is in my top 5 albums of all time, with Europe 72, Dead Set, S/T, in the Dark, Run for the Roses, and various bootlegs being personal classic tier.
>>
File: 24686160.jpg (47KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
24686160.jpg
47KB, 400x400px
>>73317277
I think their latest live album is one of their best ever. Has some of my favorite songs of theirs and would be a great place to start. Their live stuff is definitely on a different level from their studio albums.
>>
>>73317381

Ok, Europe 72 is fantastic. If you like that sound, I recommend:

>Jerry Garcias first solo album 'Garcia'
>The other Europe 72 releases that came out, you can find em on Spotify
>Veneta 72
>Skull & Roses
>American Beauty & Workingmans dead
>Wake of the Flood (which begins to sound a bit more jazzy, but still had a 'down home' vibe to it)
>>
>>73317448

OP here. This is THE classic live album. Generally the first tape traders would get back in the day. Classic show, can not go wrong 10/10
>>
>>73317448

Also, see Red Rocks 78
>>
OP, which is your favorite era?
>>
This song gives me feels every time

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6iZ49s7eH5g
>>
>>73317506

Really, really difficult to say. It's a mood thing, almost like having 10 favorite bands in one band.

Live, I'm very partial to the 73-74 period, when they only had one drummer. Tight playing, and Jerry was on fire at that time.

Songwriting wise, 72-80 produced most of my favorite songs.

But there are favorites from the 80s too. I still have a soft spot for In the Dark
>>
File: image.jpg (164KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
164KB, 300x300px
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRbBcniI1Ao
this song still gives me chills
>>
The Grateful Dead are the greatest example of talented musicians never producing a single worthy piece
>>
>>73317756

OP here. This song was one of the first songs that finally got me into them. So damn good.
>>
>>73317768
this literally reads like scaruffi
>>
How can they still be great if Jerry Gar-meme-a died in '95?
>>
>>73317768

I can understand how you would see it this way, but I heartily disagree. If you have that years to hear it, they have many quality tunes in their discography. Tons of great song writing, and some truly magical live moments caught on tape. The only problem is that you have to wade through hours and hours of so-so moments to find the magic.
>>
>>73317793

How can the doors still be great after Morrison died? How can Billie holiday still be good? Or Johnny cash?

The answer is simple: recordings
>>
>>73317831
I should have specified that I meant live but you do have a very goid point.
>>
>>73317277

Btw Anon, Jams are truly best enjoyed on psychedelics. No joke. If you don't take em, there's a whole other level to the music you're missing out on
>>
A little Help on the Way

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IH2MGQ6mpKE
>>
Brokedown Palace

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=A9uyMjzmT3k
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.