[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/prod/ - Music Production General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 308
Thread images: 32

File: EddieKramer.jpg (1MB, 2906x1930px) Image search: [Google]
EddieKramer.jpg
1MB, 2906x1930px
Music Production General
>>
how to make a mix sound louder without sounding like a flat mud and without attacks
>>
>>73294471
>Shit op last two threads were failures edition
>>
>>73294495
learn what you're doing and what you're askingg first lol
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51CQbLmEyU8

how do I get a kick to sound like this? I can sorta recreate the snare somewhat but I can't get a kick that sounds full like that with just 808s or 909s (i'm assuming that's what's being used here).
>>
https://clyp.it/1rdj2s4b
feedback pls

I missed this thread.
>>
>>73294800
play around with the eq
>>
Can I get feed back?

https://clyp.it/l0pyvf2u

O U T L A ND E R S

>>73294982
>https://clyp.it/1rdj2s4b

-Awkward transitions
-out of place sounding instruments
-cheesy hhs
-seemly random progression
-Some clashing notes

+Decent mix

Keep at it senpai
>>
>>73294800
pretty sure those are all stock 808 sounds just recorded on bad tape. there's some sort of sub on there btw, it's just really hard to hear on the recording.
>>
>>73296525
Thanks for the feedback.

I'd like more depth on
>-out of place sounding instruments
Also
>-cheesy hhs
I'm new at producing and lately hats have been my biggest issue. Can't seem to get them right so tips and advice would be appreciated.

Nice track btw I don't think I can help you with that.
>>
>>73296844
>I'm new at producing and lately hats have been my biggest issue. Can't seem to get them right so tips and advice would be appreciated.

Thanks man.

The woo woo thingy sounds out of place, tonally it just doesn't seem to fit the track well. I feel like the bass has too much high and mid.

With Open hats you want to use them at a point of empasis, in your track they feel random and overused. The closed hats don't have a groove to them that plays with any of the other instruments well. I feel the same way about your Bongos, there's a groove that bongos usually have that people are accustomed to. The way they're being played in your song feels awkward.

The best piece of advice I can give you to improve your drums as a whole is, imagine being the drummer. "If I was the drummer would I be doing this?. Hell apply that to everything.

Research different genres and patterns they commonly use and incorporate styles you like in your OWN style. Bongos from Brazil, HHs from Jazz, snare from Hip hop, kick from EDM etc etc. Keep at it man.
>>
How important is a mixer? Isn't it just controlling EQ and volume? Can't I do that on the amp directly?
>>
hey /prod/udes, what's a good software to do some home-recording stuff? with guitar and voice mostly

I've been using audacity for the acoustic songs and FLs to use its effects on the electric guitar but I feel I should do an upgrade
>>
>>73297575
>on the amp
>????

What are you trying to do tho

>>73297702
Just record and do everything on fl
>>
>>73297739
I dont know whether to get a mixing board or not since I can do it on PC. I want to know the advantages of having it and doing it live
>>
File: download.jpg (8KB, 290x174px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
8KB, 290x174px
Working on this: https://clyp.it/wfx5wjcr

>>73294800
Eq, or compression, Depending on the kick, Try a trap kick those got that pop.
>>73296525
Dope asf
>>
>>73297575
In it's most basic form a mixer mixes together multiple audio signals. If you aren't working with multiple signals then you probaly don't need a mixer.
>>
>>73297702
First of all you need a good mic and a guitar amp. Everything else can be done in any daw. Get an interface maybe if you've got the cash.
>>
>>73297763
Some people just want a physical interface, some of the more expensive boards (like crazy expensive) can color your sound in a way that justifies having outboard. Honestly there's no point in having outboard unless you're spending top dollar
>>
>>73297793
I got a neewer nw-700 as microphone and a 3 channels mixer, I don't use the amp I just connect the guitar directly in the interface
>>
>>73298004
>I don't use the amp

Why tho lol
>>
So why are monitors better for mixing?
I've heard that they give a better representation of stereo image. To me it seems like headphones are better at showing reverbs and delays
>>
How do I get the sound of a train off in the distance(or something that sounds like it)? https://morpheuslunae.bandcamp.com/track/dunkle-tage-2 begins with what I'm looking for, the guy who made is said its a modified sine wave but he didn't say how it was modified, does anyone have any idea?
>>
>>73297773
A little update mix wise and some instrument wise
https://clyp.it/3caiifbu
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=veQlM_u3CqA

Could any of you tell me how to replicate this synth with the oscillating pitch?
>>
>>73294720
its all on compression right? how ta do it?
>>
>>73298876
What daw do you use?
>>
>>73298494
Most people experience music playing aloud. If you mix exclusively through headphones, you won't get an accurate stereo picture
>>73298509
Just record some trains off in the distance
>>
>>73298920
without proper field recording equipment and no place nearby with cargo trains with that sort of whistle, it'd be much easier to just figure out how to modify the sine wave.
>>
>>73298934
>without proper field recording equipment
Buy it
>and no place nearby
There's no trains in your town?
>it'd be much easier
You mean lazier
>>
>>73298004
>I don't use the amp I just connect the guitar directly in the interface
Wow, sounds awful
>>
>>73298969
>Buy it
That shits expensive man, and I just want to know how to modify the sine wave
>no trains in your town?
none with that kind of whistle, no
>you mean lazier
if by lazy you mean easier, more affordable and more efficient.

I just need some help with identifying the effect, I don't know why you're getting so worked up over this.
>>
>>73299062
>That shits expensive man,
Get a job
>none with that kind of whistle
Go out of state
>if by lazy you mean easier
Shortcuts and compromising your art because you don't want to work harder to get what you want? That's laziness
>I just need some help with identifying the effect
What makes you think you've earned this knowledge?
>>
>>73298509
https://clyp.it/4dknpfp5

this is a train preset on padshop pro it is a granular synth
>>
>>73299096
>Shortcuts and compromising your art because you don't want to work harder to get what you want?
that's right, I don't want to go out of state and blow tons of money on new equipment just to see if a thing might sound cool in a song. Sorry.
>What makes you think you've earned this knowledge?
since when is /prod/ about earning knowledge? It's literally just asking for help and giving it.

>>73299155
thanks a bunch man, exactly what I was looking for.
>>
>>73299202
>that's right, I don't want to go out of state and blow tons of money on new equipment just to see if a thing might sound cool in a song. Sorry.
Alright, enjoy making lazy art
>since when is /prod/ about earning knowledge?
That's the problem
>>
>>73299214
>Alright, enjoy making lazy art
thanks, I will
>>
File: Capture.png (556KB, 956x754px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
556KB, 956x754px
>>73299202
the horn sounds comes from the modwheel being moved you can see in the mod matrix what parameters it is effecting
>>
>>73299371
thanks so much, I'm gonna have to mess around with this a bunch, it's perfect for what I need.
>>
>>73294471
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (20KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
20KB, 480x360px
>>73294471
>tfw have protoolz but not the motivation to actually learn how to use it so just shitpost on mu instead
>>
>>73299564
Stfu and learn it stop being a bitch ????
>>
>>73299601
but how
>>
>>73299564
If you know the slightest bit about theory learning it will be really easy and the first few months of learning a daw are great cause you make a lot of progress really fast.

Stop stalling it.
>>
>>73299606
just make music with the program and open the manual when you are stumped its really the only way
>>
>>73299628
>open the manual
Alternately, youtube.
Be warned tho half of the shit on youtube is crap. Keep your ears wide open.
>>
>>73299621
what does theory have to do with protools?
>>
>>73299694
Nothing much I guess. I just think it'd be really frustrating trying to learn how to make music without knowing what the fuck you're doing.
>>
do people actually pay for FL or do you just torrent it?
>>
>>73299786
fl studio is actually one of the better deals you pay once and get free updates from then on
>>
>>73299786
I just pirated it. I also pirated every plug in that is not free.
>>
>>73299155
haha this reminds me a ton of the backtrack to this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxKPBLjHAEA
>>
>>73294471

I'll buy any anon a plugin of their choice of they can name every sample in my track. Some are obvious some are not.

https://clyp.it/jwaucjqc
>>
>>73298552
Another update.. https://clyp.it/2vmrvnjf almost done now
>>
>>73300376
i think this is good is it all samples
>>
>>73300403
nah, the synths are mine, the main kick and clap/snare is mine, but i used my zoom to record all the video game/other percussion samples haha. thanks though, glad you enjoy the track.
>>
>>73300452
it reminds me of that one producers sound pogo
>>
File: 1496383228471.jpg (34KB, 657x527px) Image search: [Google]
1496383228471.jpg
34KB, 657x527px
any reason to do mastering?
>>
>>73300692
Loudness
>>
A short minimalistic piece
https://clyp.it/hew0hsle
>>
>>73300722
what's wrong with it?
>>
>>73300769
That's what i mostly use the mastering section for, Limiting.
>>
>>73300891
Scrap that i misunderstood, What you mean?
>>
>>73300692
Serious? If you don't know what mastering is then you should do a little research. ever listen to your track in headphones and it sounds great but then sounds like shit on other speakers or in your car? Well proper mastering will help your tracks sound great on all sources.
>>
>>73300904
I meant what's wrong with keeping the way it is?
>>
>>73301162
could be way better
>>
https://www.hornet.org/music/samples/ Some samples from like 1996 scene groups, they're 44.1 and such. https://www.hornet.org/music/samples/00_index.txt the filelist.

The Yamaha RY-10 and Boss DR550 MK II drum machines are great.
>>
>>73300081
this is pretty cool

its funny you say its similar because that sound is two layers the same as this one a rainstorm sample makes the train chug sound and the panflute sample makes the horn
>>
When do you decide your music is good enough to sell prod?
>>
>>73301496
when you decide on a new pseudonym you can use once you find your old music embarrassing
>>
>>73301496
It's good enough to sell if it serves a valuable purpose to people

I'd say "When people want to buy it" but people are nitwits that don't know what's good for them and also don't respect artistry
>>
Any Basic golden tips for mixing?
+ download Caustic 3 app, it's a greas way to start geting familier with the prudction world.
>>
How do I make consistently decent(good would be better ofc) tracks? Is there a formula i'd have to adhere to?
>>
File: Capture.png (361KB, 392x520px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
361KB, 392x520px
>>73302004
[Verse 2: MF DOOM]
True, there's rules to this shit, fools dare care
>>
>>73302014
I'm not talking about relying on the same music theory for every track, e.g pop chords. I'm talking about creativity wise, how do you be consistently creative enough to make decent songs that don't sound like pop garbage.
>>
>>73298876
Group all tracks lacking something then use gain compensation on the compressor to boost the signal
>>
>>73302107
I really don't know, if you figure it out let me know
>>
>>73302107
yeah me to.. While your at it, See if you can find the meaning of life for me.
>>
What sound sources should I use for noise music?
>>
>>73302220
analogue/flac then compress, not the other way around
>>
https://clyp.it/bgpivc5t
Electro and DnB?
Kinda rushed things too much but i hope you can enjoy at least some parts of this.
>>
>>73298876
and understanding masking/panning/eq/reverb/chorusing

treble frequencies can completely cover up mid frequencies

sometimes you can create a pocket on one side of a mix for something to pop without making the whole thing quieter

you can turn down a sound and give it some verb to make it easier to hear
>>
>>73300692
nah. everyone uses the same speakers and headphones as you. you should be good.
>>
File: roll off.png (21KB, 465x194px) Image search: [Google]
roll off.png
21KB, 465x194px
For people who make bass music, trap etc.
How much low end do you cut from your non-bass tracks? I really like to clean up all my instruments so that the kick and bass have room but I don't want to neuter anything.
Pic related is typically what I do to stuff like pianos, synths and vocals (would have a bump around 100Hz). It's hard to know how much I can have going on in the low end because I don't have amazing monitors. How do you approach it?
>>
>>73300692
I'm not super experienced with mastering but
- Helps to translate your track across different systems
- Helps to "glue" your track together and colour each sound a certain way (if you add stuff like tape saturation or excitation)
- Can improve the mix if you clean up the low end and apply compression to bring elements to the "front" etc.
- Will make your track a bit closer to other tracks in volume (loudness)

On that last point, you gotta be careful because competing for loudness is just a bad idea. Especially if you're trying to match a professionally mastered track, you'll necessarily be ruining your dynamics in order to reach that loudness. Mastering engineers can make tracks loud whilst maintaining dynamics. For non-professionals, mastering is good way to "finish" a track and prepare it for the listener. It's simply not necessary to have a super loud track unless a record company is demanding it.
Mastering can seem pointless but it really does improve stuff. The mix is definitely more important in my opinion, there's no point in mastering if the mix is bad.
>>
>>73298629
anyone?
>>
>>73298629

Sounds like an LFO device was attached to a microtonal pitch parameter. Could even be a pitch shifter effect and the dude is moving the parameter around
>>
File: live.png (115KB, 1899x1027px) Image search: [Google]
live.png
115KB, 1899x1027px
>tfw neat
>>
File: 1496896920851.jpg (97KB, 1024x757px) Image search: [Google]
1496896920851.jpg
97KB, 1024x757px
I'm getting tired of using R-8, R-50, and R-70 drum machines samples, what do?
>>
>>73300692
To make sure your shit sounds good on any system, not just your shitty budget monitor speaker or 150 dollar headphones.

It might sound good at home, but when you drop it in a mix at the club you suddenly get a shitload of frequency problems that didnt surface on your shitty system.

It's also good to get someone else to master it for you as a fresh set of ears can detect problems you have grown accustomed to, like a slightly receded mid because your headphones or speakers have plenty off it.
>>
>>73304940
stop being a one trick pony and start using other samples?
>>
Anyone here use Buzz? Is there a pack with some essential basic machines available or something?
>>
>>73304940
give the kb6 guy a few dollars
>>
>>73304905
4 tracks without names, uncapitalised names, no grouping, random clip colour scheme. OCD rating: 4/10.
>>
>>73294471
If there is a song that i want to sample that has one part but different sounds are blocking it how do I just get that one sound?
>>
File: 1491263542748.png (54KB, 240x193px) Image search: [Google]
1491263542748.png
54KB, 240x193px
How do I open/use the piano roll in Ableton like in FL?
>>
>>73306553
There is essentially no way of doing that without artifacts, and its not easy to do even if artifacts are acceptable.

Your options are:
- attempt to EQ out as much of the unwanted sounds as possible without ruining the sound you want
- stereo tricks, e.g. mono the channel with more of the sound you want or convert to mid/side and use whichever is best
- phase cancellation if want you want to extract is vocals and your have an instrumental version
- spectral cancellation using a vst like knock0ut, only works if you have a section that has the frequencies you want to remove but not the ones you want to keep, also will be extremely artifacty
- use celemony melodyne to remove unwanted notes, will only work if no other instruments are playing the same notes as the part you want to keep, and will again be full of artifacts
- hire session musicians and remake the sound
>>
>>73306645
press v
"draw tool"
>rtfm
>>
>>73294495
increase gain
>>
>>73298912
reaper

>>73303893
>sometimes you can create a pocket on one side of a mix for something to pop without making the whole thing quieter
interesting, explain that better

>you can turn down a sound and give it some verb to make it easier to hear
interesting, ill try it

>>73302151
is it the same as doing it on the master? my problem is losing the attacks when doing that
>>
is there even a way of playing a vst guitar without it sounding obviously fake and cheesy?
>>
How many of you have your own place where you work on music?

I'm in college and stay at home, and I've been unable to really work on music regularly unless no one else is at home to be bothered by the noise. It drives me mad, especially when ideas pop up in my head at 2am and I can't do anything but throw the melody in the piano roll and forget what I was trying to do with it the next day.

Do your parents/roommates just not mind you working on stuff all the time? My goal at the moment is to get my own place after college so I can make whatever I want whenever, but it doesn't help when all I want to do right now in my free time is be creative.
>>
>>73307371
man up andd play a real guitar
>>
>>73307486
renting a house is the absolute best thing I ever did
>>
>>73307371
no
>>
>>73307371
If you just want generic electric guitar sound you can just take a square wave from a synth and put some guitar effects on it lol.
>>
>>73307371
If you have fl studio, add slayer to channel rack.
>>
File: 1489879761416.jpg (41KB, 657x527px) Image search: [Google]
1489879761416.jpg
41KB, 657x527px
How do I learn to torrent?
>>
>>73299786
I torrented it, but could only get FL 11 and it's so ugly that I just use the FL 12 demo instead. It's a lot of exporting to audio and it's very slow and annoying. But hey, a retard's gotta do what a retard's gotta do.
>>
How can I make black metal beats on my computer?
>>
File: Capture.png (3KB, 356x38px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
3KB, 356x38px
>>73307953
>>
>>73308084
Do you know how to make "black metal beats" without a computer?
>>
File: blast beats.jpg (64KB, 640x170px) Image search: [Google]
blast beats.jpg
64KB, 640x170px
>>73308262
like dis
>>
>>73308343
The short answer then, is to program that pattern into a step sequencer or midi track or manually using drum hits in audio tracks.

If you want it to sound like a real drummer, pirate superior drummer and the metal add on.
>>
I just bought $300 Audio Technicia headphones and they didn't even come with a USB extension cable, just two massive cables.

I'm assuming I need to buy a USB cable but I'm wondering whether the quality of the cable affects the audio? Also, is their anything else I should buy in order to get the best quality possible? Thanks
>>
>>73308439
Yea I just did that, it sounds pretty okay with the right samples. Thought it would be more difficult since I normally only use shitty electronic drums.
>>
>>73308035
I pirated FL12 just fine but desu I liked the older versions better.
>>
File: keyboard-arranger.jpg (371KB, 1800x699px) Image search: [Google]
keyboard-arranger.jpg
371KB, 1800x699px
Is there an good, modern workstations today? Don't get me wrong, Daws are good and all, but i've been pretty much brought up on keyboards (mom and grandad) and i've always wanted a workstation of my own, but one with more modern sounds, really. Something I could probably write an entire track on, without ever needing to open Ableton or whatever.
>>
>>73308792
the keyboards you're describing do exist but are thousands of dollars. Visit a music store and you'll see what I mean
>>
My black metal drums so far
https://clyp.it/euabdr5a
Going for that shitty dungeon synth demo cassette vibe, probably gotta rerecord the synths since I'm just working with an old <1 minute jam at the moment.
>>
>>73308804
Many DAWs already have this, a "humanize" feature, generally it adds slight variance to position and velocity.

Good drum sample libraries like superior drummer also use round-robin sampling where each of the 128 velocity levels for each drum has many samples which are then triggered in a non-repetitive manner.
>>
>>73308921
melody sounds like a trap song and the drums are awful
>>
>>73308839
Yeah I know, my Grandad has had loads over his life, but they sound outdated as fuck. I wouldn't mind saving up and shelling out a little on one, if they sounded good enough.
>>
posted earlier versions of this in other prod threads a while back.

would like to know your thoughts on this more developed version. could do with some better mastering I know

https://clyp.it/2h0r03pe
>>
anyone know where the license authorization file is located for ableton 8? im trying to transfer to another computer with no internet [spoiler]and its pirated[/spoiler]
>>
>>73302167
That hit too close to home.
>>
>>73309085
lel
>>
>>73302004
humbly, here is my rec:

think about sound design a level or a few levels above your current thinking. design a system for you to populate with different ideas. by giving yourself restrictions you will more easily create, the opposite of the black page dillema. but by designing an metaenvironment "above" the level of shit you want to output, it leaves space for you to curate your best ideas to be that output. a system like this helps me to naively pursue different ideas knowing full wel that its not all going to be golden, and that after a period of populating this metasystem i will come back and reap the best ideas to then smash together and further permute.

this is a long-timeline approach that works for me, i would encourage anyone interested to adapt it to themselves.

tldr: you can make a formula for developing formulas that shit out good songs. a formula that makes different forks of that process would be in the right direction.

also this is me>>73309259 can anyone help?
>>
>>73309568
*blank page problem.

that read like shit. heres an example of my current project, which is in the curating phase:

theres like 5 or 6 different environments that im classifying ideas into. 'oh thats a mountain song' 'thats a sky sound' . then once these were populated into about 15 minutes of decent ideas, i ordered the songs bits. then wrote transitions between the different ideas. by that time some ideas had been more developed and when familiar with the whole ollection, leaders emerged. while all these environment compositions wil be like albums in their own right, the 'output' of this process will be journeys through these different environments, in different dimensions , eg. an ambiant album collection , more pop 'single'ish album, etc.

the point is that if you design a system that both encourages free flow of idea and also tends to allow refinement, and you also are prepared to throw away the 'husk' ideas, then you can more easily get to the 'good grain' or whatever
>>
>>73308480
pls
>>
>>73309259

For Ableton 8 in Windows the authorization file is kept in the same directory as the main executable - so on my system it's in C:\Program Files (x86)\Ableton\Live 8.2.2\Program.

Keep in mind that Ableton 8 used (in most cases) a cracked executable that was used to launch the program in place of the executable created by the installer, so you might need to copy that to your new system too.
>>
Just a techno thing I threw together with samples from 99 Sounds.

https://clyp.it/fnmfcu3f
>>
>>73309746
I'm confused as to why you would ever need a USB cable for headphones but in answer to your question, no, cable quality will not affect the sound.
>>
>>73309932
How else would I plug them into my computer?
>>
>mfw pc detects headphones plugged in but can't hear anything from them
FUCK THIS GAY EARTH
>>
>>73309984
should be an 1/8" socket for headphones. if you have a 1/4" end on the headphone cord, try unscrewing it, some brands have a screw on converter that will reveal the 1/8" jack
>>
>>73309794
cheers, but what about mac0S
>>
amateur here, is my wip shit any good?
clyp.it/5megklw0?token=424caca50e6ca7b5f369474487543d79

Its trap made of 90% windows soundfont samples
>>
>>73310309
lol I uploaded an old version. fuck this
>>
>>73309984
These plugs are the norm
>>
>>73304159
start cutting at 100hz... listen as you are cutting. Sooner or later you will get to know the low end on your monitors.
>>
>>73294471
Would someone please critique my mix, I'm new to making hip-hop and I would like to use it in my portfolio for a masters degree. thanks.

https://clyp.it/agnynehd
>>
>>73308792
>good

No sorry. If you want to make something serious you'll need more than a workstation
>>
>>73307486
Exact same situation here... I keep my monitors volume low and wait to have the home alone for maybe an hour every week to record guitar and vocals when I can....

It's extreme frustrating lol. Use headphones..? the noise isn't as much of a problem for me as having my mom thinking I'm not doing anything productive and being a loser even though I'm working my ass off lol
>>
Made this ambient-ish synth thing, I like the sounds, it reminds me of Corc by Autechre, but now I feel like I messed it up using too simple melody/chords..
https://clyp.it/ajl32ezv
>>
How easy is it for most people to come up with music ideas? For me it feels almost effortless. It's like my mind just generates random music that doesn't exist. Is that how everyone else does it?
>>
>>73311611
Pretty easy to think of a melody or loop, but difficult to build on that.
>>
>>73311611
>It's like my mind just generates random music that doesn't exist.
I get that sometimes but it's hard to translate into actual tunes, although I haven't really tried that.
Mostly I'm just patching synths/effects and playing random melodies until I find something nice.
>>
>>73308804
PLEASE reinvent the wheel!!! I find it so necessary to humanize shit, so my tracks don't sound robotic and bland. But, I hate to go through every single thing and and take the time. It cuts back on the creative process. I don't know. Please find a way to make it quicker.
>>
>>73311611
Man, it used to be the same way for me. But I'm going through shitty depression right now (because I'm mentally ill) so I just don't have it anymore. I'm hoping it goes away soon. I still have the desire and drive to make music, but I don't have the inspiration and emotion. Like, it's gone. I feel autistic.
>>
>>73311611
I usually need some sort of emotion to create good songs. I can create effortless, uninspired music easily but it's mostly boring. When I'm sad, frustrated or infatuated is when I come up with the good stuff.
Drugs help a lot too.
>>
ITT: Plebs obsessing over stupid shit

You realise there are great musicians who made great music with little care or knowledge for this shit?
Yes, you need to know up to a certain level of course, but after that it's useless unless you're an actual producer/engineer/w.e.

I could name numerous albums that were produced for less than 100 dollars total and they're still better than anything you could post.

Protip: If you're a musician with any talent, you'll find a way to make shit sound great regardless of equipment and other bullshit...
>>
>>73294471
How come there isn't any music production guides in the OP or anything normally associated with a general thread?
>>
>>73312458
>mediocre and proud
>>
>>73312486
Hardly, I just know that a good musician doesn't need to be perfect with perfect equipment, etc.

There are albums out right now that cost less than 20 dollars to make that are better than most people in this thread could ever dream of creating.

My point is: If you're a good musician, you'll find a way.

Simple as that. Not about being "mediocre". Go be a sound engineer and not a musician then, eh? You can be a god at FL studio and not know how to write a song so it doesn't matter
>>
File: 2hi.png (84KB, 710x709px) Image search: [Google]
2hi.png
84KB, 710x709px
feedback?

https://clyp.it/arvsogvq
>not making ironic remixes
>>
>>73312515
A microphone costs more than 20 dollars, what you're saying is just retarded. Besides, there's no excuse to not make things as good as possible. Sure making mixes sound polished is just a detail and composition is much more important, but that doesn't mean having as many tools and skills as possible at your disposal is pointless.

It's like playing an instrument. There's guys who are really prolific at playing and make awful music and some who get rich strumming three chords. Doesn't mean technique is pointless.
>>
>>73312458
Now this is bait :p
>>
>>73312589
I could literally name albums right now that cost less than 20 dollars to make that are better than anything you'll ever produce or create in your lifetime
>Spend years obsessing over stupid functions you'll never use
>Create nothing worthwhile despite being a Pro Tools Pro

>>73312623
I'm really not baiting, it's true
>>
>>73310923
I didn't find it too simple, probably because it's rhythmically complex enough instead. good work!
>>73310540
so wait this is an acapella over your beat?

(>>73312518 here pls respond)
>>
>>73312655
Just because people are better than me doesn't mean I wont try to be as good as possible. By that logic, you might as well just masturbate yourself to death.
>>
>>73312655
>I could literally name albums right now that cost less than 20 dollars to make
do it then, name ten
>>
>>73312655
>>Spend years obsessing over stupid functions you'll never use
lol sounds like you know nothing about daws
>>Create nothing worthwhile despite being a Pro Tools Pro
do you even know what protools is for?
>>
Anyone know of other full studio acappella LPs like Jay Z's "the black album" worth a look?

Pretty hard to search for
>>
File: Olde Towne.jpg (137KB, 688x455px) Image search: [Google]
Olde Towne.jpg
137KB, 688x455px
http://vocaroo.com/i/s0ajjokvc3dW

>Nick Lowe influenced, electric guitar

Trying to work on incorporating acoustic drums via samples, I basically recorded my self hitting several drums several times at different velocities/positions, and then split the parts by transients via ableton and let every drum have its own drum rack with like 50~ samples. I think it sounds ok so far.

another one
http://vocaroo.com/i/s0wvGGxF7oe4

>acoustic, west-coast sounding (imo), trying to do acoustic guitar with synths, like a dusty summer night
>>
>>73313107
Vocaroo has terrible quality. Why don't you upload it to clyp.
>>
>>73312458
>>73312655
>he unironically believes he can or will make worthwhile music

I know you're some angry pseud, but get a grip. The chance that anyone on this board will ever make music that will stand the test of time is marginal. The only realistic goal when it comes to making music is to make something that you enjoy and hopefully something a few others will enjoy for a brief period of time as well.
>>
>>73294800
play a bass on the kick drum
>>
>>73312853
dude everyone here rips mp3s off youtube where do you think you are
>>
reminder to keep your files neat and tidy

just went through my ableton folder looking for abnormally large project folders and gained 30gb of space from deleting unused audio files in projects
>>
>>73312853
>doesn't fuck with bjork
>>
I'm so close to thinking of copping max/msp and reaktor. Any thoughts on modular software? Or should I just get hardware modules..
>>
File: 1401746780958.jpg (141KB, 450x608px) Image search: [Google]
1401746780958.jpg
141KB, 450x608px
>>73294471
no lyrics yet obviously, probably needs louder drums

https://clyp.it/lapyfney
>>
>>73315754
Software is way more powerful than any reasonable modular. If you're seriously considering Max/MSP or Reaktor I don't know why you'd even think about a hardware modular.
>>
>>73311611
I can "imagine" music like that but whenever I make something it's from actually playing and entering notes and building stuff as I go. Pretty effortless at the moment
>>
>>73315754
Hardware modular is kind of a meme at this point. Software is fine unless you wanna LARP as Keith Emerson or Morton Subotnik.
>>
>>73316701
in my experience it's not really useful to try to compose stuff in your head anyway
>>
>>73316805
I kinda think hardware in general is mainly for people who can't stomach using software.

I mean I have a lot of hardware and it's fun and kind of a different workflow. And it's probably easier to do something completely off the wall, I guess more oriented toward discovery. But the music I make using hardware isn't better than what I do in software. The sound isn't better.

I figure hardware is either for people who do everything completely live (which IMO doesn't generally lead to very good results) or have some sort of personal hangup where any music software triggers Microsoft Excel PTSD or something.
>>
>>73316914
Tbh the main reason I call it a meme is because I rarely see people do anything worthy of the format. More or less it's just people using them like a moog style synth. You can definitely do worthwhile live stuff on a modular, but most people aren't practiced enough to pull it off. This vid isn't modular, but it's the type of stuff you would expect from modular vids instead of the old 8/16 step techo and sequencers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2ITO6AdgOU
>>
>>73315313
looking for rap, male or female voc
>>
>>73317213
I think in general people who use modulars aren't worse than people who use any other gear. I mean most people with guitars or FL or whatever are making horrible shit too.

I think the main problem with hardware and modulars in general is that there's way too much emphasis on real-time jamming. Modulars are worse about it because there aren't as many resources for preparing sequences, etc. in advance.

I mean any solo performer doesn't really have a great deal of control. Keith Fullerton Whitman can do pretty well. But most people just end up with something kind of wanky and pointless. And that's mainly because they're just jamming not composing, editing, arranging, etc. They want it to be fun so they skip all the parts you need to make something that's actually good.
>>
https://clyp.it/dztmr2ay

howd i make this better please, just starting out so any tips would be good tahnks
>>
>>73317729
*thanks
>>
>>73313452
Not true at all.
>>
>>73317729
What genre are you shooting for?
Try to quantize it, the hat is a bit off.
>>
>>73317729
The timing is weird, pay attention to the grid. The notes aren't lining up very well. Might have to do with the sounds you're using (could have a few milliseconds of silence before the actual sound plays)
Are you limiting the master? Make sure the ceiling is around -0.3 rather than -2
I can hear quite a bit of compression, you might want to dial it back a bit. Focus on the volume of each instrument instead. Don't be afraid to just turn up your speakers.
If you can, make your bass monophonic / 1 voice (one note at a time), seems to be overlapping a bit
Also I would turn the hats down a bit
>>
How's this mix?
https://clyp.it/zxjzugtw
>>
>>73317758
He's not right that no one here will make anything notable, but if you're making music with that goal in mind, that's not really a useful way to approach things.

Pushing yourself to improve is one thing, but it's dumb to expect anything at all in terms of a response. And self promotion and getting famous really has very little to do with music.
>>
>>73317797
like dark vibe rap, or depressing mumble singing
>>73317834
this is fucking great thank you
>>
>>73317758
>>73317923
I should clarify that I didn't mean to post that in a disparaging way telling people to stop making music. I was talking in a more general sense on the nature of music and time. There have been a few people of commercial success who have posted on here, but nobody is going to be talking about DIIV or Deadmau5 100 years from now. What I meant by worthwhile was genuinely artful academic music, music that will be talked about hundreds of years in the future. The most your average musician can do is seek to enjoy making music and work on developing their music. If you get enjoyment composing, talking about gear, or playing live it doesn't really matter in the long term.
>>
File: latest[5].png (7KB, 640x400px) Image search: [Google]
latest[5].png
7KB, 640x400px
https://clyp.it/l20xiz1n?token=4f9d25038a652a91faa6a31ac048ab3e

2nd bit is still unfinished but is it a bit much?

I was thinking of going down in dynamics and doing the whole modulation back into c gently but then I'm going back up to a high intensity after and I don't want to whiplash between loud, quiet and loud again in less than a minute.
>>
>>73318130
>What I meant by worthwhile was genuinely artful academic music, music that will be talked about hundreds of years in the future.
The funny thing is that I'm working on "genuinely artful academic music" as I'm typing this. I still don't expect anything will come of it. And I don't really see it as being fundamentally different from the usual fucking around either.
>>
any feedback for >>73309228?
>>
>>73319134
Very nice track. Sounds good on my monitors. Only thing I would change is at the end, there's too much dissonance for my liking. My ears want it to end on that concluding note but it keeps bending around and then it fades out without really landing anywhere in particular.
>>
>>73312518
nice pic
>>
>>73312458
Of course. You can make great music with pen and paper. People have for hundreds of years.

These days I still agree - you can make great music with a shitty laptop and a basic DAW. And a mic and you can go even further.

That being said, real synthesizers sound fucking great and are much easier to work with than trying to do it all in the box. They are expensive, but worth it I think if you plan to have synth as an important part of your production for most of your projects.
>>
>>73312807
daniel johnston
bjm - thank god for mental illness (17 dollars it cost)
burzum
some velvet underground
>>
>>73307371
I remember seeing in an old magazine a midi module that simulated strumming.
>>
>>73307371
EDM producer KSHMR made a few tutorials for Splice a few months ago, and one of them shows exactly that.
>>
Anyone know some good reading about music production or music theory I can read at work? I spend half my day shitposting and should probably use my time more wisely
>>
>>73320406
Start with "Dance music manual" by Rick Snoman, then "Music theory for computer musicians" by Michael Hewitt, then the other two similar ones by Hewitt (don't remember the title.
Also your Daw's manual.
>>
>>73320406
>>73320434
Give me an hour and I'll upload the PDFs
>>
>>73320434
>>73320448

Cheers mate. That would be great.
>>
>>73302107
make 5 beats a day
at the end of the week pick the best 5
make EP
>>
>>73320434
Can I start with Music T for Computer Musicians instead? What's your reasons
>>
>>73320434

So I'm one page into the "Dance Music Manual"

>When the first music samplers were released in the 1980s, the Amen Break was used considerably. The first recorded use of this was by Shy FX ‘Original Nata ’ in
1984 but this was soon followed by Third Bass with a track entitled ‘Words of Wisdom’ and NWA with ‘Straight Out of Crompton

errr....
>>
>>73319981
sorry, all of those albums contain microphones and instruments... you're wrong and dumb
>>
>>73320634
they used it live
>>
>>73320749

I mean the fact that:

1. He misspelled Original Nuttah and Straight Out of Compton
2. Original Nuttah came out in 1994, not 1984
3. The amen was definitely sampled in tunes before Words of Wisdom and Straight out of Compton
>>
>>73320854
>crompton
>nata

Lmao. And no way those are computer reading mistakes either. I'd not read it
>>
>>73320871

I find it kind of bizarre he could even consider a jungle tune coming out in the mid 80s
>>
What in your opinion are some things that seperate beginners from the more advanced and elite music producers?
>>
File: Zomboy.jpg (40KB, 300x400px) Image search: [Google]
Zomboy.jpg
40KB, 300x400px
>>73294471
Why is the volume of FL Studio ASIO so low compared to ASIO4ALL driver.
>asio4all
>4all
>for all
>locks only one audio program
>>
>>73320725
>the band recorded Thank God for Mental Illness through "tangible custom lo-fi stereo" in their San Francisco home studio on July 11, 1996 with the budget of $17.36.

get fucked talentless cunt
>>
>>73320982
>falling this hard for publicity
>>
File: Books.png (8KB, 434x141px) Image search: [Google]
Books.png
8KB, 434x141px
>>73320434
>>73320448
>>73320458
Here:
http://www58.zippyshare.com/v/Eaw7HMGX/file.html

I've added "How Music Works by David Byrne", since I came across it in my folders and is a pretty interesting read.

I've included both the second and third edition of "Dance Music Manual", since I only read the second one when it was the latest, but the third one should be the same (just updated a bit).

>>73320492
Of course.
I put Dance Music Manual because it's more of a basic overview of everything that surrounds music production, and depending on your level it could fill a lot of gaps or refresh your knowledge of the basics.
If you feel you don't need it, you can skip directly to Hewitt's books.

>>73320634
>>73320854
I don't really care about the history or trivia. The info about production techniques and whatnot is good.
There's a reason why it's the most recommended book for beginners and intermediate producers.
>>
>>73320982
also daw's don't cost anything if you torrent them, like pretty much everyone here has, so i really don't even get what got you on this stupid trip about recording budgets
>>
>>73320994
If you knew anything about the band, you would know you're a fucking retard. It was documented in the documentary 'Dig!' anyway.

Fuck off talentless cunt

>>73321002
I'm not you. Nice comprehension, moron

I'm saying you don't need to be a master on a DAW to make good music.
Stop obsessing over stupid functions you don't use and equipment and toys that you don't need
>>
>>73321046
yeah we get it, you're some rawknroll edgelord who knows fucking nothing about any single piece of technology that has made any of the music you listen to possible, please get over youreself lol
>>
>>73321046
also the extent of equipment most people here have is a midi controller and monitors
>>
>>73320931
Advanced producers know that to make profesional-sounding music there isn't a single trick or aspect of production to master, but it's the total of all aspects of production sounding right that makes the end product sound right.

Because when peoploe listen to your music, their reference point is the professionally produced music, that's been made by people who spent multiple decades perfecting their craft (often by a specialist for each part, like the composition, the sound design, the mastering, etc.) so you have to match that level of polish by getting as close as possible to getting everything right.

Starting from sound selection/design (probably the most important part), to sound effects (both creative effects like flangers and mixing effects like EQs and compressors), to composition (that has to sound good musically but should also be made by keeping the production process in mind), to mixing, and mastering.

You have to be good at each of these things, because if even one of them is sub-par, the song is going to sound somewhat "off" to non-producers, and producers will know what's wrong with it.

To achieve this you study how things work, practice A LOT, and try to learn as many techniques as you can.
This way, after a few years, you'll have a thorough understanding of how everything works and how to get a good result in each part of the production process, which will result in songs that are good from all standpoints.
>>
>>73307371
>>73320373
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AoDPaC6JmfE

I suggest watching the other ones of the series too. They're pretty interesting even if you don't make his type of music.
>>
How do you come up with chord progressions in a specific genre? I'm looking to make some progressions for future pop/future house
>>
>>73321172

wtf is "future house" lmao
>>
>>73321105
Thank you for such a detailed response! Sometimes I forget that what we do is such a multistep process. I asked this cause I've been sitting on a batch of songs that i've been wanting to release as an Ep but all the instrumentals that I make never seem up to snuff or a change my mind on what style/aesthetic I'm aiming for.
>>
>>73321187
essentially deep house w/ serum
>>
>>73321055
t. projector the projectionist
how are your bedroom beats doing, mate? you making a living?
>>73321070
i dont care
>>
>>73321204

When you say "deep house" do you mean actual deep house, or Disclosure?
>>
>>73321206
lol do you even know what projecting means? i'm not a rawknroll douche, or an edgelord, or someone who is clueless about recording technology, those are all things that only apply to you
>i don't care
yeah that's a pretty standard copout after your argument falls inwards on itself
>>
>>73321172
Don't ever make chord progressions, melodies, or whatever, with the intent of having them sound like a specific genre's conventions.

Instead of thinking "I want good future house chords", you should think "I want good chords that convey the right emotion", regardless if they fit what's normally used in future house.

This is very important because if you think in genres, the best possible music you're gonna make will be unoriginal and cookie-cutter boring trash that nobody will want to waste time with (when there will surely be other guys who do the same shit you do but better).
If you make good music almost-disregarding genres (even if you keep the basics), you'll be so much more original, and there'll be a reason for people to take the time to listen to your music instead of someone else.
>>
>>73321204
Like Oliver Heldens and Tchami?
>>
>>73321236
more projection and rage

enjoy being mediocre you fucking wannabe
>>
>>73321290
ok so you definitely don't know what projection means then lol

also yeah i'm sure that you're making a living off of strumming your beatup acoustic into your thrift store tape recorder because you got SOUL MANNN lol you fucking clone
>>
>>73321249
>you should think "I want good chords that convey the right emotion", regardless if they fit
t. Music college drop out

He can play what he wants
How many good songs have you made?

>>73321302
More projection and rage from the zero
Bedroom billy the beat maker is having a bad day
>>
>>73321194
Yeah, what you should do is do single-themed sessions where you sit down with the goal of learning/improving one single thing.
After a while you'll have a large body of knowledge about each little detail, which will all come together when you make all-around polished tracks like I was talkig about before.

If you're not satisfied with your songs, don't focus on improving them for release, but to hone your skills and post them online for feedback (possibly not just here), so you can use them to improve.

Only after you know you're close to the pros of your genre are, you can start thinking about releasing your work and promoting it around (but don't stop working on getting better, because the day you stop doing that is the day you start failing).
>>
>>73321313
lol so your whole bag of tricks is really just UMADBRO? and misusing "projection"?
>He can play what he wants
dude was literally asking for advice on progressions, my god you're bad at this lol
>>
>>73321350
Shut up faggot, I can smell the nu male on you
>>
>>73321313
>He cuts the qute mid-sentence to make it seem like I said something stupid
t. Journalism major

I didn't say "regardless if they fit" period. I said "regardless if they fit the genre". They should still fit the song obviously.

And also, of course he can play what he wants. I'm just telling him that if he plays that he's going to sound like everyone else on fucking livingelectro.com, and thus boring, and I gave him advice for sounding more original.
He doesn't have to follow my advice lol
>>
>>73321360
>nu male
lol what a surprise that you're the kind of idiot who says shit like this unironically
>>
>>73321375
thought I told you to be quiet wannabe
>>
>>73321394
you did, but i guess you didn't realize that nobody feels compelled to listen to people as stupid as you. sorry that you're still learning your place in life lol
>>
>>73321257
yes more like Oliver Heldens than Tchami
>>
Anyone have a recommended USB midi keyboard for sunvox

I dont need anything flashy, just a keyboard.
>>
>>73321798
you could probably just by something used and made by a reputable brand and be fine
>>
Trent stole a mixer board from a Seattle studio and never gave it back now we have nothing to record with.
>>
https://clyp.it/r4j40sjc
rate my trak
>>
>>73322233
I figured but I wasn't sure

thanks.
>>
File: imgres.jpg (10KB, 259x194px) Image search: [Google]
imgres.jpg
10KB, 259x194px
Anybody here record with cassette tapes? I just got a 4 track and I'm looking for some advice
>>
>>73323062
let me eat your ass daddy :)
>>
https://clyp.it/5ojl4kbb
my buddy says I need to work on soundscape, but I have no fucking idea what he means.
>>
>>73312853
>>73317307
anybody? Resources or recs?
>>
File: 1461475603626.jpg (65KB, 438x423px) Image search: [Google]
1461475603626.jpg
65KB, 438x423px
https://clyp.it/ayubh1oo

how's this intro/build thing?
>>
>>73324695
Pretty fuckin wet
>>
>>73323712
soundscape is not really a thing in production your buddy is a bleb. On the other hand, this is horrible tf are you on
>>
>>73325032
drone ambient and harsh noise thats what im on
>>
>>73294471
https://clyp.it/uidbsznq

i made this thing. critique would be okay. it's neurofunk drum and bass.
>>
File: Modes bright to dark.png (555KB, 827x436px) Image search: [Google]
Modes bright to dark.png
555KB, 827x436px
>>
>>73326183
Dark like my soul
>>
>>73300386
meh :(

>>73300762
sounds PRETTY, is this granular or nah?/if so what do you use? <.<

>>73303693
lots of good sounds, boring beat and song though desu

>>73309912
which pack this is kinda neeto a little bit

>>73317861
sounds thin and the volume isn't balanced where it needs to be, not listening on monitors rn tho

>>73318179
>orchestral in /prod/

doesn't sounds like too much at all, but I agree it sounds like it should go down in dynamics for a longer section. As is, each section just sounds rushed and hesitant for those couple moments

>>73322273
shittingupthethreadbutstillmoreintestingthanthemajorityofthesetracks/10

>>73326183
>memorizing modes

I don't understand how people can go about music theory so terribly lol. Just learn what the fucking intervals sounds like and where the chords fit in it's not that fucking complicated :p
>>
>>73321105
I know for a fact that many pro producers flesh out a track that sounds 'off' tonally but has the sound selection close enough to convey the feeling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLJgnmVdhIc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuYvdkslzG0

I remember seeing a video of muse in the studio where they had recorded the draft of a single i forget the name of and the synth programming was SHIT but close enough to suggest the feeling of the final product
>>
hey can anyone tell me what filter or effect i can use to get this minimal, barely audible distortion effect on vocals?!
For example like King Gizzard or Xiu Xiu.
I don't know another way to describe this.
>>
>>73326552
you have to post a track cmon
>>
>>73326578

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9p_Si21ig7c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dztURk0_DOg
>>
>>73326309
>I don't understand how people can go about music theory so terribly lol.
You know that everything is based on the diatonic scale, right? Thats not a lot to remember, really
>>
Is izotope neutron worth the hassle of only using their set of plugins?
>>
What song did I accidentally remake? It sounds real familiar.

https://clyp.it/xtwdxj1e
>>
>>73326611
turning up the input level on a preamp til it distorts
>>
File: 8642876975390730.png (27KB, 262x192px) Image search: [Google]
8642876975390730.png
27KB, 262x192px
>Get Arturia Synclavier
>Read the whole manual
>Still don't get it, guess I need to learn FM synthesis
>Read The Complete DX7 and learn the reason PX7 inside out
>Go back to the Synclavier
>Still don't get it
>>
>>73327371
You're basically just adding harmonics (distorting the sound) over time with oscillators. That's literally it.

Instead of notes you have ratios. Octaves go by doubles (1 2 4 8 so on)

Consonant ratios (basically any of your octaves or fifths) will add pleasant sounding distortion, random ratios will sound like shit but can make bell type sounds when you do it in moderation.

Ezpz
>>
>>73326718
>diatonic

You're using that word wrong but yes, it's not much to memorize
>>
hey i got this as a christmas present but havent opened it yet
can i get started doing music prod with it?
>>
File: 1493665183376.png (177KB, 436x361px) Image search: [Google]
1493665183376.png
177KB, 436x361px
What's better?

Being proficient enough in a bunch of synths

or

Being Vangelis-tier at one
>>
>>73327629
Please stop posting these stupid obvious questions and ask something that actually warrants discussion
>>
>>73302220
anything potentially, some people just use no input on a mixing board and work with that. Its the after effects that really make it.
>>
>>73306553
with the EQ find what frequency the sound you want is at and then cut out everything else
>>
>>73327606
Yeah sure. You might need to make some samples or find something you want to use first
>>
>>73327572
What's the right word?
>>
>>73327371
just mess around with it until you are familiar to apply what you learned.
>>
how the fuck do i make a bass like this? please explain
>>
File: 1493338580675.jpg (39KB, 480x467px) Image search: [Google]
1493338580675.jpg
39KB, 480x467px
>how the fuck do i make a bass like this? please explain

>>73328456

obviously i forgot the link, here it is https://soundcloud.com/whoknowsnostra/straight-up
>>
>>73326821
no one in particular, it's just a common chord progression.
>>
>>73326309
Crap, I forget which pack(s) I used because I have almost all of them. But I think Sound Design Tools was one of them.
>>
Anybody make techno? I need advice and tips. It can be anything that you find useful and important.
>>
>>73328202
Diatonic is just referring to not using notes outside of a key in an instance... and some other shit that's mostly coincidental and not of any practical use to know

I think what you were referring to is that all the terms we use are relative to the major (Ionian) key (Dimished fifth, sharp nine, minor rather than major). Everything uses the organization in c major as a reference point.
>>
>>73329250
Uhhh not 4 on the floor techno but what are you having trouble with..?

The only practical non context specific tip I can give is get really fucking good with reverb and special effects. Gated sends are good too
>>
>>73324695
where are you planning to take this? those textures are super sick
>>
>>73329556
I'm not really having trouble with it yet because I'm just starting to come up with ideas. I just wanted any tips and such.

What is a gated send?
>>
>>73329726
Just any send track you set up with a gate at the front

Usually people set these up for reverb on snares (especially in the 80s)
>>
>>73320996
thanks anon
>>
>>73327629
Wasn't Vangelis Vangelis-tier at everything and not just the Oberheim?
>>
What's the difference between lofi and hifi?
>>
Just started this
https://clyp.it/c1sn2w2o
>>
>>73331294
the amount of fi
>>
>>73315836
>>
>>73330939
Vangelis is also mainly good at playing. He's a performer primarily. That translates to any gear.

It's not like you have to be extraordinarily studious to be good at sound design.
>>
>>73331294
You can't hide lack of talent in hi-fi :^]
>>
new thread since it's at bump limit

>>73333924
>>
>>73326422
That's true. I do that as well.

This is because, as I said, music production is made of a thousand little things, and you can't possibly do everything at the same time, so you build your song by doing the "creative part" first, and then polish and finetune everything later by improving or replacing sounds, making small adjustments to the composition, mixing, etc.

(this rule isn't set in stone. There are a million ways of producing, and this is just one of the more popular ones).

The difference between a professional production and an amateur one is the amateurs would have those songs you linked as the final releases, while the professionals can work on improving them to the high-level tracks we know.
>>
>>73328456
>>73328470
That's just a distorted 808.
Usually a sine wave (with maybe a few additional harmonics) with some distortion to taste.
>>
>>73334220
thanks mate! is any of the distorsion parameter automated? how i get the "phasing" growl there?
>>
>>73335048
What do you mean "phasing"?
It sounds pretty static to me.

Do you mean the pitch bent parts?
>>
>>73335118
you are right, i was stoned yesterday listening and replied without further listening. remembered some phasing sound. i'll give a try!!
while we are at it can we discuss about another bass? the track was posted here some weeks ago, check the second half. i asked the producer but he just told me it came from a dyani double bass sample and not much else. how a sample (possibly gritty on his own) get to sound like this?

https://soundcloud.com/official_contingent/sinister

any good read or video about making sexy bass sounds and mixing those? what am i missing here?
>>
>>73335652
The key to how good this bass sounds is literally just sound selection.
You need to develop an ear for what sounds good and what doesn't, and learn to be critical enough of your songs to realize if they're good or not.
Maybe there's some normal compression and eqing as usual, but that goes for basically everything.

>any good read or video about making sexy bass sounds and mixing those? what am i missing here?
You need to learn the principles of synthesis and effects, so you know what goes into what.
Start with reading the "Dance Music Manual" book posted above [http://www58.zippyshare.com/v/Eaw7HMGX/file.html], then do the Syntorial program [you can find it here https://audioz.download/].

Remember to practice everything you learn, and after you finish with these lessons, practice with sound design YouTube tutorials.
Get some nice synth like Massive or Serum and watch tutorials on them (especially for the sound-design oriented genres like dubstep, which really show you the capabilities of the synths).

There's also a 30-day program to teach you how to make basses in Serum, made by presets company Cymatics.
I haven't tried it but it seems good enough.
It's free here:
https://cymatics.fm/serum-30-day-advanced-guide/
>>
>>73320996
Thanks Anon
>>
>>73330690
>>73336341
You're welcome.
>>
>>73335826
thanks!
>>
>>73323062
i'm looking to buy a cheap one so i can pass my mixes through it and get a tape sound with some wow & flutter
>>
File: Screenshot_3.jpg (57KB, 477x372px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_3.jpg
57KB, 477x372px
why did this happen

some project bugged and wont show input devices for recording anymore. on any track, restarting pc doesnt fix it
on a new, blank project it works right away

how ta fix it
Thread posts: 308
Thread images: 32

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.