[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Long Time no See

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

File: 1492936449002.png (403KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
1492936449002.png
403KB, 480x480px
Hey /mu/, I haven't been here in years, but I wanted to say, y'all got me through some hard times. I spent my second year of college in almost complete social isolation, except for the shoegaze band I joined and constantly made excuses to miss practice for, and the record store owner who'd always talk to me about how he used to live in Austin and knew Daniel Johnston.

Anyway, /mu/ was really helpful. It felt like a community. I remember when someone released Neutral Bling Hotel here, and it was really exciting, even if slightly goofy. I remember when that guy told the feels story about how he rushed out of his high school art class to bring a girl a copy of a burnt Joy Division he had in his car to prove to her he really liked Joy Division the first time. I remember everyone talking about that Antlers Hospital album and how sad it was, but I was always too sad to give it a listen. This was all around the time when Macintosh Plus was new if I remember.

/mu/ gave me a sense of community. It reminded me that other people were dealing with their social anxiety and making bigger fools of themselves than I was. Y'all inspired me to actually start showing up to band practices, and we started practicing enough to actually play shows.

Since then, I've basically turned into a normie. At some point the year after all of that, I stopped relating to everything on /mu/, made friends in real life again, and finished college. Now, I have a bachelors degree, a masters degree, friends, and a girlfriend that I live with, but I still miss it here. I miss caring about music. I miss ironically laughing at other people and their social ineptitude while really I related a lot to all of them. I don't really think I fit in here anymore, and I don't know if anybody is still around here from about five or six years ago, but I just wanted to say I miss all you guys and appreciate you all.
>>
>>73281318
>normie
Welcome back. You'll fit right in with all the faggots who don't care about developing their taste and are content with listening to the same bullshit over and over.
>>
>>732813618
That's what I miss. I remember listening to a lot of different music when I was here. I loved the random recommendation threads. For the last three or four years I've pretty much only listened to ambient music and vaporwave because I could listen to it while doing reading for grad school. Oh, and my girlfriend got me into top 40 music sort of.
>>
>>73281318
Sorry, no normies allowed.

What year were you posting here? 2012?
>>
>>73281417
2011-2012. A little bit of 2013, but I started straying away around that time. I migrated to /lit/ because I thought I'd be a writer for a while, but then I just left 4chan entirely a little bit after graduating from college. I think I was on most frequently in 2012.
>>
>>73281498
Nice. We probably chatted a few times.

I'm not sure if it's still the same but back then it was really apparent that anxiety and depression was a running theme with a lot of users. You probably witnessed the height of the tfw craze, but it was honestly worse before then. Glad you made it out ok.
>>
File: IMG-20170503-WA0000.jpg (82KB, 1080x1025px) Image search: [Google]
IMG-20170503-WA0000.jpg
82KB, 1080x1025px
>>73281605
Yeah I joined because of the music recommendations but stayed for the feels. I think it's probably around when the mods started cleaning up the feels threads that I slowly stopped coming here. /mu/ felt like a really specific social support group for awkward folks that really like music, have a hard time interacting without resorting to irony as a defense mechanism, and are dealing with depression and/or anxiety. Before /mu/ I basically stopped interacting with other people and always made excuses to ditch plans with friends and acquaintances last minute. After a while, I started going to record stores to see what I could find, where I'd make a point to at least say hi to the people working there before buying something. It doesn't sound like much, but it sort of jump-started me to interact with other people and get out of bed.

Also I don't know how things are now, but this board seemed to be isolated from /pol/. I don't remember politics from any part of the spectrum entering the conversation.

I'm glad to hear from someone else from that time period whether we actually got to talk or not. I hope you're doing well.
>>
>>73282505
Really well put.

That's the reason why there is so much nostalgia towards /mu/. It's always been much more than just a place for music discussion, well at least it used to be.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.