[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How's your band doing /mu/?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 140
Thread images: 19

File: bandstuff.jpg (540KB, 900x598px) Image search: [Google]
bandstuff.jpg
540KB, 900x598px
How's your band doing /mu/?
>>
>>73272098
My guitarist told me we were breaking up because of another band member and now were booked for more shows this summer. Needless to say im very confused
>>
you cannot get a gig anywhere if you aren't 21+ (even cover bands) so I'm just jamming/networking /working on ideas in the meantime. Have a decent roster of people so far and it's only growing so yeah. Idk why people rush shit. Better to hold your load rather than blow it
>>
>tfw no band

>>73272234
damn must suck to be american
>>
>>73272098
i don't have any friends that want to form a band and the few that do are musically inept.
>>
Sold 2 CD's and got 16 downloads so it's going okay I suppose
>>
I'm in New Hampshire, the drummer is in California, the violinist in Virginia and the guitarrist in Texas. None of us are from the US originally.

We kind of want to record an EP, but we've a small issue - we're all really anal about recording it together because that's kind of how we developed our style as a jam band of sorts, and me (bassist and main composer, also the one guy that fucks about with synths) and the guitarrist (currently on his way to rivalling Kevin Shields) are into fucking around in the studio with sounds and the way we record our stuff so we want everyone there for the recording so we can do stuff like Wall of Sound-style recordings and all sorts of fuckery we like to do - it's what the guitarrist is studying anyway, so it's probably a good idea for us to do so. It's kinda like post-punk meets shoegaze meets japanese pop rock meets bebop and post-hardcore with a slight dose of noise rock.

In the meantime, I'm hoping to find a band to play around here.
>>
pretty good since it's just me.
last band i was in wrote 3 songs twice and then the vocalist had a baby and i pissed her off so now they got a better drummer and idk why they didn't just replace me as soon as they met him.
>>
Under 21 and only friends into music the way i am are too lazy to learn an instrument
>>
>>73272098
Haven't found a scene to share gigs with. We're a noisy punk band that's too weird to play within the local punk scene and too pussy to play within the local hardcore scene.

We're also too mischievous to play within the "artsy" scene.
>>
File: IMG_1132.jpg (43KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1132.jpg
43KB, 400x400px
We've only played a few gigs but we've had an overwhelmingly positive response every time. One touring band said we were the best act they'd seen on their tour. We're having a bit of trouble getting people to show up, but we're hoping our draw will improve in the coming months.

This is the first time things have started to go well for any of my musical projects.
>>
Cello player/vocslist ust passed away recently after complications due to a car crash a while back
Currently looking for a replacement
>>
File: 1487645302560.gif (1MB, 480x287px) Image search: [Google]
1487645302560.gif
1MB, 480x287px
>>73272234
WRONG.

>>73272262
It's not like that in America. I've been playing shows since I was 15. That anon is a retarded pleb who doesn't know how to get booked, and probably thinks he's too good to start at the bottom, playing open mic nights like the rest of us.
>>
Um still kinda an idea in me and a mate's heads
>>
>>73272581
the extent to which some people larp on here is incredible
>>
good. the EP comes out july 22nd. but were already dead. im working on an italo project instead
drum machines are alot easier to work with than actual humans
>>
>>73273341
Agreed. Started playing in a cover band when I was 17. Now 20, and still playing in the same band. And right now some friends and I are in NYC playing 3 shows over the weekend. Made up of a 19, 20, and 21 y/o. You can do it. Just need to take every chance you can get to play in front of people. And carry yourself like a professional. Because thats what you're trying to be.
>>
File: 0004832725_10.jpg (247KB, 1200x896px) Image search: [Google]
0004832725_10.jpg
247KB, 1200x896px
you tell me
>>
>>73272098
if I reply will I get dubs too?
>>
>>73272098
Looking for a new drummer
The situation is getting quite desperate to be frank, all of them are either meh or low commitment
>>
>>73275489
What genre if you don't mind?
>>
nonexistent. looking to start something where i'm not the only one carrying the team
>>
>>73274776
Your guitarist looks depressed
>>
We jam 10 minutes then spend the rest of the night drinking
>>
>>73275567
Heavy Rock with elements from Jazz, Prog, and Punk would be the most accurate way to describe it I guess.
>>
>>73275582
youll never find anyone who shares your vision buy a drum machine and learn a DAW before its too late
>>
>>73275655
this sadly.
>>
>>73275654
Ah the sounds fun man! You'll find someone I'm sure. There any music schools around you? Thats a pretty good place to start if you want Jazz influence. And sometimes even prog.
>>
File: bands logos.jpg (608KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
bands logos.jpg
608KB, 1366x768px
>>73272098
What's the best way to get a nice font for the band's logo? Or how to create a nice and symmetrical one?
>>
>>73275582
That's why I only work solo with guest musicians in the first place
>>
>>73275655

i've started learning pro tools over the last 4-5 months.

it's not really my vision though. in the last 2 bands i was in, i was the only one who was making sure we'd all meet up for practice and booking all the shows. my bandmates constantly talked about how they'd wanna get big, but never did anything lmao

i just moved to the bay area which tends to have a pretty good music scene, so i just gotta build up that confidence to go out there and find people to jam with
>>
we play really shitty noisy things because neither one of us has proper musical training or background and it's a goddamned blast
>>
kicked out our vocalist because he wanted to go heavier when we wanted to go lighter and because he wasn't improving. found a girl singer as a replacement and we're playing a show tomorrow purely for money
>>
>>73275802
dafont - bleeding cowboys
>>
>>73275802
Hire a graphic artist
>>
We've played one open mic and have released one album

P cool
>>
>>73272098
I got to sit in with a cover band from out of town (thankfully they gave me a list of songs they know) and did so well that they're offering me to play gigs with them every once in a while when their other drummers can't make it.

And I'm hookin up with this one friend who's a singer/songwriter and we've been rehearsing and we'll be playing some shows this summer....
Finally getting to play with people. Sucks living in a small town, especially here, because 95% of the musicians here are either flakes, just wanna get fucked up, or don't spend anytime on their instrument and talk big as shit. Can't wait to get outta this town but gotta get on my feet first...
>>
>>73272234
Declan Mckenna
>Started playing live gigs age 15
>18 now, touring UK and releasing an album, growing exponentially in popularity, probably will be big someday

What's your excuse?
>>
>>73274776
y'all look like time wasters
>>
File: IMG_1979.png (7KB, 645x773px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1979.png
7KB, 645x773px
My band is doing just as well as my girlfriend
>>
>>73274776
>e-drums
you tried.
>>
>>73274776
The guy on the drums looks like a friend of mine
>>
>>73272581
I'm in a p similar situation but we're all in Minnesota, I'm actually the only one not in St. Paul currently, so it's probably a bit easier on us. I'm a little spooked because our rosters sound pretty similar. Interested to hear if you guys get anything together, be sure to post it in Bandcamp threads. That goes for anybody itt, actually.
I responded to a local dude trying to put together a shoegaze band but haven't heard anything after a couple messages back and forth.
>>73274325
>he doesn't see how close friends could have a project that gets put on hold because of distance and various other engagements because the music industry is in a bit of a bind and it would be nice to have an established safety net before committing tons of energy to the project.
>>
File: 1434200129038.jpg (35KB, 415x481px) Image search: [Google]
1434200129038.jpg
35KB, 415x481px
>haven't played in a band in 7 years
>try to do a solo project, but don't want to be generic
>been stuck in this process since 2011

eternal suffering
>>
Made my first Facebook post in like months:
"Anyone who wants to play some music, feel free to hmu"

10 likes, nobody messaged me

What does this mean?
>>
>>73278026
Find the local DIY/music fb groups for your city and post it there
If you have an idea of what instrument/style you play that helps too
>>
>>73278063
I'm in one of those. I literally haven't seen one post that wasn't from some high schooler wanting to start a metalcore band
>>
>>73278111
>I literally haven't seen one post that wasn't from some high schooler wanting to start a metalcore band
new jersey?
>>
>>73278119
Nah. It was a Western Massachusetts/Connecticut page lol. And another problem I had with that page was that most of the people on it are from CT but I'm from MA
>>
>>73278136
i know that feel dude. i've been trying to get an NJ band together for almost a year. everyone is always just a bit too far away to work.
>>
File: Snapchat-133889167.jpg (561KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Snapchat-133889167.jpg
561KB, 1080x1920px
Not in a band, but I have a trio/sometimes quartet that I'm in. We have a gig next Tuesday but after that our violinist is moving away, so it may be the end of it.

>>73273301
Where u at senpai
>>
File: IMG_6394.jpg (156KB, 1024x579px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6394.jpg
156KB, 1024x579px
>>73272223
guitarists are a dime a dozen you'll be fine

>>73272399
going solo should be the obvious choice

>>73273279
Good shit dude, this used to be the same for my group. The key is to just market thru every fucking social media and stay consistent with content and people will show up.
Also if you have recorded tracks for
others to check out online, it helps people share your music.

>>73275955
>95% of the musicians here are either flakes, just wanna get fucked up, or don't spend anytime on their instrument and talk big as shit

musicians in a nutshell

Personally,
My band's doing alright, playing a lot of local gigs for chump pay and free beer.

I love playing the shows but I need to focus more on my solo material personally in the studio i.e. my small acoustically padded apartment bedroom. Most other musicians I know don't know shit when it comes to producing so I'd help them out, but I'm at a point now where I'm on a personal recording and desu it's the way to go F A M

Im grateful to have some personal connections and friends who know/are professional producers, so I'm putting all my effort into making the most refined product I can with what I know and have before I send it out to the world.
>>
>>73274776
You need to be 18+ to post here
>>
>>73277798
Honestly we kind of want to but as we're all broke college students, we plain can't. The lineup is rather odd - started as me, the guitarrist and a drum machine playing a mix of post-hardcore and shoegaze with a hint of post-punk, then we ditched the drum machine for a close friend of ours that started dating the guitarrist and she brought more post-punk influences. Then we tried getting a vocalist, ended up getting a violinist instead, and that girl brought japanese pop rock influences. Meanwhile I started bringing bebop to the table and fucking about with synths while the guitarrist brought noise rock as an influence, abd in the end our drummer became the vocalist as well.

It's one hell of a weird story. Besides the guitarrist, no one is going to the music industry, but this started as a silly jam between two guys who liked music a bit too much in early high school, and currently we've got something even if it isn't anything great, and we really want to get this to be the best thing it could be even if it turns out to be post-music.
>>
>>73275934
Link to album?

>>73275655
This is what I did, i use a midi controller and it's my fave drummer. I happen to have a set in my room by coincidence so i mic'd it for recording, most of the drummers i know are just technical brainless school drummers but that's okay because a slave drummer works for me.
>>
Good. Going into the studio early next year, our music has been posted on here a couple times. Playing live is extremely difficult though. How do some of you do it?
>>
Guitarist moved to Oregon, singer is taking nine years to rebuild the studio in his new house, don't have a drummer anymore (drummer we had was struggling to play nearly all of our shit, I could play it better and I don't play drums), and I have moved from just being a bass player to being an electronic music producer.
So basically it's over. The EP is in stasis forever, we only ever played two shows, it was fun, but it's over.
>>
>>73274776
Underage band. Lel.
>>
>>73272098
we solo now
>>
File: konstantin.jpg (78KB, 605x480px) Image search: [Google]
konstantin.jpg
78KB, 605x480px
>>73278136
Hey, if you're still around, I'm in Springfield. I play guitar and a few other things. I've had the same metalcore problem. I like all sorts of rock and folk music.

Here's something I recorded; just bedroom folk music, but it proves I exist, I guess. good guitar part:

http://vocaroo.com/i/s0Pd5zB3nqjZ

Let me know.
email: antiochiansect@gmail
>>
>>73278818
Well, stay in contact and save money. If you guys can keep it together you can probably meet back up and record after college or during a break. Write a bunch and practice separately so nobody falls off. If you think there's potential fight for it and don't get down on yourself.
/unsolicited blogpost/
We all met in high school.
Drummer's really into prog metal, swans, Mr. Bungle type stuff and going to school for audio production. We jam in his basement amd he's been building a bit of a studio there.
Bassist/lead vocals/primary songwriter is into old school prog and jazz fusion.
We got a dude that plays guitar, keyboards and violin that's really into Buckethead and started learning sampling and looping stuff. He's probably the most technically proficient member, took classes for his instruments all through school but had to focus on academics during college because his family is cartoonishly asian and would only pay for a STEM degree.
I'm on guitar and do novelty vocals (scream and rap for our 2 hip hop covers) sometimes I sing. I'm the weekest member, regarding technical ability. I'm mostly influenced by shoegaze, The Police and Tera Melos so I bring a lot of texture and harmonic elements to flesh out the atmosphere and also write some songs.
We're all really into Primus, King Crimson (we're seeing them later this month, I'm so hyped), and some heavier stuff so we've got a pretty aggressive but up beat and off-kilter groovey thing going on. We're sorting out stuff to put together an album or ep by the end of the year or January 2018. Hopefully we can get some shows next year, we've talked about making our soind heavier or lighter depending on what sort of acts we'd open for so we're easier to put in a line-up.
/end blogpost/
>>
>>73272234
Do a house show
>>
>>73279807
Ah shit nice I'm from Springfield so that's pretty convenient.
I'll check it out.
>>
>>73272399
>the few that do are musically inept
Eh, at least you won't be competing with anyone to be the main creative force. Just write everything and have them do really simple stuff.
>>
>>73279997
you can only play to the level of your opponent, or in this case band members
>>
>want to sing in a band
>have a pretty good voice, have received many compliments and leading roles in community theatre
>can't write lyrics (or anything) worth shit
sucks
>>
>>73280214
its alright its a fruitless endeavor anyway, consider yourself lucky
>>
>>73279943
That sounds great, would love to listen to your stuff.
>>
anyone in north carolina or surrounding states who who wants to play some gigs? my band is going out there next month to see a friend there who plays bass and has some shows planned for us. since we'll be there for longer we figured it'd be cool to play more. we play shoegaze/ambient/psych
>>
>>73280214
Just practice. Find some lyricists you enjoy and study their work. Pick a song you think is exceptionally well written and try to copy what it does while taking a different emotional approach so you have to change imagery and verbs while mimicking the writing style. Don't beat yourself up too much but put in the effort to get better.
>>73280365
Thanks. I'm bummed I don't have stuff to post currently. Next time we jam I'll record shit on my phone and post it in a soundcloud thread, but once we get the actuall project done I'll make a big deal out of it in the bandcamp threads.
>>
File: FAT.jpg (107KB, 478x449px) Image search: [Google]
FAT.jpg
107KB, 478x449px
>mfw i give up on the band thing and just try to piece it all together in garageband until i find someone else to lay down bass and drums
still sounds like soundcloud tier shit tho
>>
>>73272098
finished a tour with a band last week, playing and being interviewed by local public radio on tuesday with a band i care about a lot more. i also do a shit ton of freelance work. ask a professional bassist anything if you want.
>>
>>73280893
What type of music?
>>
>>73281148
pretty much as much jazz as i can with, but of course, i have to do a lot of other stuff for money. some of which i enjoy, others not so much.
>>
>>73272098
could be better. we had a decent trio for a good while, my frontmans buddy hung around because before we got together they made several albums. he hung around and jumped on board on drums forever and ditched out spinning the project into a spiral of hard times, we found a bassist which is going good, we had found another drummer but he's not on the same page and plays pop country and bubble gum michael jackson pop stuff which totally doesnt work with our sound, he sucks at planning and navigating jam times so we're ditching him, we found this other guy who's heavily in the music scene here in town and are going to try a jam session sunday to see how we all do, he has a jam space sound proofed, a p/a his own kit and etc. we ourselves are kinda poor, im a guitarist, iv got an 80watt and 10 guitars, 2 pedals. wont brag. frontmans got a good mic and a weird amp, we're for our own p/a. our bassist got himself a new amp because he didnt have one when he joined, its like a crazy 400watts lol. when our band started it was great, but like i said an original member who was crucial with chemistry fucked off. then since our jam space was also my place of home, it caught fire and we were out of action for several months, just got back into the swing of things a while ago, before our disasters we were gig ready. but hopefully this new guy works out and hopefully everyone shows up, we've got 3 solid songs, working on adding 3 more to our list and going through about 20 others that still need structure and stuff. im really hoping we can be gig ready again in a couple months and start recording.
>>
>tfw in three bands and regularly get invited to others because I'm a keyboardist

feels good being a unicorn
>>
>>73279975
THIS
>>
Last band pretty much died due to lack of motivation and general cohesion among the four of us. So the singer and I formed an amalgamation of his other band (which is pretty much his other band, but they replaced the guitarist/keyboardist who didn't know shit with me, the drummer). We've been shockingly productive, meeting most days of the week and practicing for 3-5 hours. Of course, this was mostly to prep for a show that we had only started meeting roughly 3 weeks prior for and we're doing 90% covers.

The other band is going pretty well. We just got done playing at a festival, and I'm hoping to start rehearsal back up once things calm down with my other band. It's mostly just the guitarist and bassist coming with riffs and then the three of us haphazardly stitching them together Frankenstein style, with revisions being made constantly (which usually start with an idea I had), which I think is kinda nice actually given that we're an "experimental"(?) trio with no vocalist. I dunno, it's just cool to see how things morph over time.
>>
>>73281557
Oh, and the instrumental band has also been trying to put out a 3 track EP but the guy we had mix it (or one of his students?) has yet to send us the recordings.
>>
File: 1491780495922s.jpg (7KB, 250x179px) Image search: [Google]
1491780495922s.jpg
7KB, 250x179px
My band is a mess rn. High school band FYI

One guitarist is pretty good he never practices or learns songs but is always down to write with me and has good/ similar taste to mine (emo, indie rock, shoegaze, dream pop, prog)
The other guitarist cannot play lead for shit despite being playing for over 7 years. He just plays rythem and is creatively bankrupt. To his credit he does practice the songs and picks his part up fast but his lack of creativity means me, the other guitarist and the drummer have to write his parts.

The drummer is fantastic, he is an all around great musician who also has a great voice. He isn't quite on the same page when it comes to the sound we are going for (surprisingly he writes allot of really simple parts) but i have a feeling that's becasue he has spent his entire life building tons of technical skill and not that he cant write good music.

The singer. Honestly he isn't that great and if he wasn't literally the nicest guy i know then he wouldn't be with us. He does choir at school and his voice is not what we want, his timing is absolutely abysmal and i have to sing with him on most of the songs to keep him on track and because there is only one mic in the practice room i am forced to scream and I seriously think my vocal cords have received permanent damage from this. BUT if we can train him a tad then he can be our front man for 2 years before he disappears on his Mormon mission trip to Africa or whatever.

And then there is me; Bass/ Backing vocals. The practice room is at my house and i coordinate most everything and buy/ own most of the equipment (the PA, practice kit, extra speakers, ect.). As it stands I do most of the song writing and song picking with the first guitarist. Id like to make it clear that everyone contributes to the process but its obvious the second guitarist and singer are not on the same page as me, the first guitarist, and the drummer. As it stands if this continues past HS it will be a 3 piece.
>>
just started my first band
we've been practicing some songs for the past 2 months and think we're ready to actually play somewhere

what's the idiot's guide to getting a show? I don't really go to shows around here because I never see anything that isn't shit or underage, not sure if its because there aren't any or because I just don't know the right people to hear about it.
>>
>>73281873
>I don't really go to shows around here
How do you expect to know which venues are popular if you don't go to shows?
>>
File: Lightning .png.gif (1MB, 700x700px) Image search: [Google]
Lightning .png.gif
1MB, 700x700px
>>73272098
Aloysius Scrimshaw is doing quite lovely, thank you for asking Shipmate...

Expressions are being written... bans are continually being issued from venues visited...

Yes friends, He is I; WE are doing spectacular...

>Aloysius Scrimshaw

https://youtu.be/NeWtHbtCwpA

https://youtu.be/WnNYEnpv8qs

>Post-World
>Experimental
>The Dead Musician
>>
I've been trying to start a band up, and when I sing i have the vocals of prime Glenn Danzig, but I can't find anybody though.

It's aggravating.
>>
File: C-wTJVZXgAEp8Ef.jpg (531KB, 1536x2048px) Image search: [Google]
C-wTJVZXgAEp8Ef.jpg
531KB, 1536x2048px
>>73272098
better than yours
>>
>>73282462
>modern Supro
>modern boss anything
>phase 100 when the EVH phase 90 is king
I hope your parents enjoy buying your stuff more than actually caring about you
>>
It's going to shit fast.
We're poor AF so we bought the drummer a hello kitty toy drumset.
>>
>>73282501
and I hope you enjoy being poor for the rest of your life
stay jelly
>>
>>73282638
Id shoot up your shitty bar gig. Id kill everyone.
>>
>>73278824
>link to album?
You're probably not here anymore but ill take any chance to shill the product

https://clyp.bandcamp.com/album/the-kyds-at-the-crypt
>>
Not as well as we thought it would be. My band is an indie rock one. Drummer isn't really caring as much as our bassist and I are about this whole thing but we can't find anyone else. I'm the vocalist/guitarist and I've written all our songs. Haven't been able to practice with them as we thought we'd be able to this summer so I've been working on a solo project that has jazz influences in it, that's been pretty good.
>>
Fucking shit
>>
>>73282873
Not the guy but just briefly skimmed through all of that.

I like the "Mrs O'Leary's Cow" thing you were going for with your song "Plane Crash" and it genuinely creeped me out. Definitely some interesting production.
>>
>>73283051
I always really dug that song but I didn't know Plane Crash could be compared to that, neat. Definitely more noise rock type stuff on the next lp so watch out
>>
>>73272098
>was in a band for close to three years
>only really active for 2 though
>played shows, mostly local but a few out of town.
>recorded an EP and did all that shit.
>got pretty much no notice or recognition.

>come time to release our recordings and we can't decide what to do.
>every fucking meeting it's a different idea. >singer wants to make physical CDs and thinks bandcamp/online releasing is stupid.
>me and the bassist realize we're embarrassed to actually have people we know hear the recordings
>the vocals are garbage
>realize the bassist/backing vocalist is actually a far better singer than our lead singer
>leave the band after going through multiple drummers
>start doing cover songs with the bassist
>holy shit we can do anything

Just gotta find a drummer and maybe a 2nd guitarist and gonna get going again. I just need a band where I can feel comfortable and actually be excited to have people hear us play.
>>
>>73274776
>electric kit
faggot
>>
File: IMG_20170604_193659_771.jpg (210KB, 1152x1152px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170604_193659_771.jpg
210KB, 1152x1152px
>>73272098
Our new EP is out, next few weeks will be constant PR work and music videos. Can barely get any shows in this godforsaken hive of degeneracy of a city, but I've honestly given up striving for anything other than artistic expression.
>>73275582
Welcome to being in a band, that's the standard and not the exception.
>>
>>73272098
Still working on songs. I've got one longtime friend enlisted to play bass, and a friend of his will play drums if we asked him to. If I get my job that I applied for a few days ago, we'll have an album out before October. I'm worried about getting gigs considering ska, metal, and indie is the stuff around here. But we'll see.
>>
File: 20170610_082217.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
20170610_082217.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
Sitting in the tour bus smoking(non smoking super 8) somewhere in Illinois I think. Played Chicago last night, festival tonight. West coast tour in a month.
>>
File: 20170610_084235.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
20170610_084235.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>73285729
>>
>>73272522
whats ur band anon
>>
>>73272098
Band is preparing to release and promote album.

Got asked to join another band the other day. Not sure if I should or not. It's a genre I've never played in before and am basically ignorant of, but it has a built-in audience.
>>
They're doing good but I'm leaving after tomorrow because imo they're really square. Been writing my own material for a while. Gonna make music on my own terms.
>>
>>73282462
>>73282638

How much do you pay your bandmates to tolerate you?
>>
>>73273341
Coffee shops don't count loser
>>
>>73275958
Better to not rush ideas like a starstruck retard
also you can't do that shit in the US unless you're a jew
>>
>>73281901
all the shows fuckin suck

mostly shitty buttrock
a bunch of lame cover bands
and some "experimental" shite which is just used an excuse for "I dont know how to make music or play instruments so I just dress cool and bang on stuff"

I live in a flyover city basically its hard to find good shows unless (presumably) you know the right people and go to unadvertised house shows... but I don't know the right people or how to meet them.
>>
How are you guys releasing albums?
like what's the step by step process?
>inb4 you just meant uploading on bandcamp
>>
>>73282527
I'd play a hello kitty drum kit desu.
>>
File: IMG_20170519_234351.jpg (3MB, 3120x4160px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170519_234351.jpg
3MB, 3120x4160px
>>73287642
-Start promoting a month in advance
-make a music video for your lead single
-contact press, labels and venues with preview links (soundcloud)
-book shows to promote your new release
-if you don't get on a label, use DistroKid to get on iTunes, Spotify etc.
-remember to put as much work as possible into promoting it in interesting ways (pictures and videos from rehearsals, the mixing process, physical copies etc.)
-release
-Celebrate and spam the shit out of social media for the next month

I fucked up in creating awareness so let me state this specifically: Advertise the fuck out of it and make sure people know! This is the part where being on a label would be a dream
>>
>>73275958

Good PR. Too bad he's shit.
>>
>>73287642
>write & rehearse songs
>road test songs for 1-2 years
>record them
>mix them
>master it (digital master)
>create/commission album artwork
>master for vinyl
>press it
>sell it at gigs

It's easy.
>>
I miss the fuck out of it. Never made a conscious decision to break up but our drummer came out as trans and pretty much only associates with LGBT people now, our keyboardist parties so much he's basically a missing person and me and the lead singer had a personal falling out that seems to have ruined our friendship
>>
>>73272234
>you cannot get a gig anywhere if you aren't 21+
I was playing clubs and bars when I was 19. Just don't attempt to buy alcohol and you'll be fine.
>>
>>73288646
where at because I've roadied at bars and they always kicked me out aside from setting and tearing down
>>
>>73288599
>grown men having a personal falling out
I'll never under stand this type of melodramatic shit
>>
>>73288646
bars in my city card on entry. its fucking annoying when I'm trying to see shows as well.
>>
>>73288822
there's nothing melodramatic about a platonic relationship becoming strained or ending.. it happens all the time
>>
>>73288953
What was the reason and how old are you two?
>>
>>73288695
>roadied
Not what I'm talking about, is it?
>>73288931
>card on entry
Load in through the back you dummy
>>
>>73280788
You can learn how to play bass guitar yourself its super easy if you can already play guitar
>>
In your opinion what's the preferred way to sell your shit physical copies or all online (such as bandcamp)?
>>
We're booking a tour and writing an LP for a pretty influential DIY label
>>
>>73290111
Both, and get some free music out there too. Shit just have your first couple albums be free or dirt cheap physical copies since you weren't going to make money at first anyways.
>>
>>73290202
Also consistently being told by touring bands that we're the best thing they've seen on tour, and getting bigger opening slots on non-DIY shows
>>
>>73272098
Recently got a couple thousand plays on our newest song, potentially a gig at one of the biggest if not the biggest bars in my city and a label contacted us to market the song

Very promising progress
>>
>>73272098
We've uploaded a "teaser" (with just rhythm and lead guitar) of our new song in youtube, managed to get 500 views just after a couple of weeks. And yeah, I know it's not much of an achievement.
>>
I figure this is just as good a thread to ask about this.
What do you guys think of bands or artists that have a really strong Youtube presence? Are these groups considered lesser because they're marketing their personality more than the music or are they just working a different kind of hustle?
TLDR; if I make a bunch of youtube videos with my band will labels and other artists/bands not take us seriously?
>>
>>73291874
>TLDR;
pic related. however, i don't think you have to worry about it if you're doing vlogs or tame podcasts, but if you're doing something embarrassing like sketches or let's plays, i'd be careful at least.
>>
>>73291947
i forgot to attach a pic, but it would have been some low quality gobacktoleddit.png so just ignore that part
>>
i live in a shitty mid sized city and the only bands around here that get gigs are cover bands, so i'm sort of forced to play in those because i need the extra money. we're pretty busy, but it's miserable work for me because i literally hate every single song we have to play. but that's what these people want to hear, apparently, so whatever. if i didn't need the money i would quit playing all together, it's not in me anymore.
>>
File: cutesyfrog.jpg (12KB, 204x247px) Image search: [Google]
cutesyfrog.jpg
12KB, 204x247px
>>73285871
>>73285729
whats your band called anon

my band is in infancy right now as i wait to come home from college. we're a duo, i'm the drummer and good friend the guitarist. i'm so stoked on it, we've been playing together in a bunch of different groups for years and in a mish mash of half assed bands but we're finally deciding to give something an earnest shot. basically we're math punk? between hella and lightning bolt, closer to hella (the duo albums obviously)

the riffs he's writing and demoing to send to me rock, super groovy and tricky to drum to at first but damn it's fun once i get it down. i'm practicing my ass off too, trying to emulate the math greats (zach hill, chippendale, damon che) while learning to appreciate the dad rock god drummers too (keith moon, bonham, etc). i've mainly drummed for jazz bands before so i'm treating practice sessions like workouts - energy is absolutely key
>>
>>73290255
>>73290202
whats your band anon
>>
>>73291991
>dad rock god drummers too (keith moon, bonham, etc)

I'd say you should give Mitch Mitchell and Bill Bruford a look, they'd probably be right up your alley.
>>
>>73273039
this
>>
i posted in a few other threads like this before, but anyone in new jersey looking to make a shoegaze/dream pop band?
>>
>>73292224
thanks man i will. i spend all my time listening to niche genres and drummers but i'm trying to get into/ respect the classic greats
>>
>>73292013
>openly posting on /mu/

nope lmao
>>
>>73291947
Ok, I was planning on keeping it all music related - gear, song writing games and challenges, live stream jams, that type of stuff. I was just worried that the cringe shit many youtube based acts put out ruined the platform.
>>73291974
Ok then.
>>
>>73291991
Listen to tera melos untitled if you haven't, its math punk with a jazz trained drummer. Their drugs/complex is good too but not as punk sounding
Thread posts: 140
Thread images: 19

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.