[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's a nice way to turn a band down for a release? Basically

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

File: vondur.jpg (37KB, 383x511px) Image search: [Google]
vondur.jpg
37KB, 383x511px
What's a nice way to turn a band down for a release? Basically I don't think I can afford what they will want to put out and it's a bit of a genre jump from what I usually put out. They're good and all, but I don't have the money for another genre is all, I don't want them to take it the wrong way.
>>
Just don't respond
>>
>>73271904

Well I don't want to be a dick either, bands hate it when labels don't say anything
>>
>>73271748
>Basically I don't think I can afford what your band will want to put out and it's a bit of a genre jump from what I usually put out. Your music good and all, but I don't have the money for another genre is all, I don't want you guys to take it the wrong way, though. Best of luck.
>>
>>73271748
Just be honest with them. I think it'd be better than not responding or lying to them
>>
>>73271976

Thankyou, that's a really good way of putting it
>>
>>73271748
you let them know that due to financial issues you need them to pay extra for it or to have it released say year later on

note good isnt enough it needs to be fucking special
>>
>>73271748
Do you run your own label? Just curious what is it, and how did you get started?
>>
>>73271976
Exactly this, a professional and apologetic, but still justified, way of saying it. You answered your question OP.
>>
File: New-Store-draft-2.png (1MB, 888x1258px) Image search: [Google]
New-Store-draft-2.png
1MB, 888x1258px
>>73272073

I opened my label back in fall of 2013 because I started working a student job at my college and told myself I'm making the money to do what a lot of black metal bands I listened to did, so I started one. I basically already had the skills to design a website and all, I had learned enough about how other home labels do things in the metal scene with discogs and various vendors to produce CDs. The hardest part for me at first really was finding bands to work with, I knew somebody who got into black metal and playing/recording around the same time I did from a small game engine we both used almost 10 years ago now so I went to him first, but then I had to break out of my comport zone and find bands myself for releases and that can still be a little challenging, but remember with a label and with a business that you aren't just listening to music at home on headphones by yourself, you need to make a deal with musicians and bands and you need to promote and sell to fans and new customers. I won't lie when I say that promotion is a bit of a weak spot for me online but I do a hell a lot of leaving flyers around at events I go to, concerts, record stores, ect. and selling releases through record stores on commission where the store keeps a buck or 2 and I collect the rest, it helps a lot. If you want to start a label, the first thing you should do is find a release to put out. There's no point in having a label without a release starting out, or planned release atleast, it's like wearing socks to an interview without shoes. You can do a lot just with discogs, I just recently opened our webstore earlier this year so I can have the option of merch and whatnot, but that's not something you need. Spread the word around at shows and record stores and good luck.
>>
Vondur seems pretty sweet if they like darth Vader and are from abruptum
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.