[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I want to like it, but I feel like the singles were the only

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: owavhl9mkrcjfr3sv7el.jpg (390KB, 3000x3000px) Image search: [Google]
owavhl9mkrcjfr3sv7el.jpg
390KB, 3000x3000px
I want to like it, but I feel like the singles were the only songs that stuck in my mind
Am I disappointed because it was half as long as the rest of their albums?
I don't know what to think
Help me /mu/
>>
The first two singles were definitely a huge crux of the record but I think the other songs are still pretty good. Even 'Hit Me Like That Snare' is enjoyable imo.
>>
I like it, but the singles are definitely the best songs.
>>
>>73255587
I feel like Anthony Fantano had a point when he said that they mistook not trying for "swagger" on hit me like that snare
I really wish Joe would have stayed on beat, that might have made the song single-worthy
>>
my girlfriend's a huge alt-J fan. had to argue with her about why this isn't so great. let me help you.

this isn't terrible, but lord is it a glorified EP with no sense of direction. it's moody and a bit ambient at times, sure, but there's a difference between soothing and snoozing. House of the Rising Sun hardly develops, Last Year and Pleader drag on for quite a while before building their sound, Hit Me Like That Snare just sounds like a shitty lo-fi cover of Monster Mash, etc.

I like all the singles to this day, but lord, everything else seems like a dull listen when you come back over and over. I'd probably take Deadcrush and Last Year and pluck them on a better record in the future if I was alt-J. They should've developed these songs much, much more. I think I gave it like a low 6 on my scale? Just a disappointing listen overall looking back at the album as a whole.

I had to go back to A Moon Shaped Pool, Sung Tongs, Remain in Light, etc. just to see this concept properly done.
>>
>not bent
>>
>>73255676
I get it
>>
>>73255550
>I don't know what to think
well, considering that you just regurgitated the melon's opinion, it sounds like somebody else already told you what to think.

shit band btw
>>
>>73255642
On the point of not having a direction, I'd like to add that they might just be experimenting for experimentation's sake
The second half of pleader basically sounds like it belongs as a background song to the soundtrack of The Lion King
I think they might just be weird for weird's sake, which is dangerous if there isn't any overarching theme
There is no doubt that the band has talent, both practical and theoretical, but they seem like they are throwing new shit at the wall to see what sticks
Granted, it might be better than doing the same thing and stagnating?
>>
>>73255725
yeah i'm with you on that. this record was a step in the right direction after This is All Yours, but it just felt so "undercooked".
>>
File: fotolia_8334344_XS.jpg (12KB, 350x235px) Image search: [Google]
fotolia_8334344_XS.jpg
12KB, 350x235px
>>73255775
I actually think this album is their worst one yet
But it feels like they are exponentially more experimental in comparison to how This Is All Yours was to An Awesome Wave
I just feel like they should keep a bit of the pop-sound of the first half of their first album
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.