[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why are some people so opposed to politics in music? Personal

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_3568.jpg (39KB, 220x220px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3568.jpg
39KB, 220x220px
Why are some people so opposed to politics in music?
Personal insecurities? Lack of knowledge on the subject? Or do they just flat out disagree with the politics? I really think it's more of the first two rather than the last one.
>>
>>73253227
The first two points, and also the desire to want to avoid politics and use music as a form of escapism.

Unfortunately for them, music is a form of art, and doesn't "belong" to the listeners, and is made with the views of the artist in mind.
>>
Seriously, who needs lyrics
Instrumental music is just superior
>>
>>73253366
Seriously, who needs poetry?
Blank paper is just superior.
>>
>>73253417
I actually like poetry
But writing good music doesnt always come together with writing good lyrics or being intelligent
>>
>>73253227
normally it's because artists use politics as a lyrical crutch. if they're in your face and political they don't have to be quality. the music also tends to take a backseat to the lyrics. also, the subject matter only really works for sarcasm and contempt, and over the top support. you can make good political songs, but most aren't good for those reasons.
>>
>>73253417
Seriously, who needs blank paper?
Table is just superior.
>>
>>73253227
beauce politics needs discussion
It's not even the fact that I find it difficult to disagree with the singer, but it often makes me want to say things like "Yes, I agree with you on A and B, but when it comes to C, D is obviously a better solution and you can't be serious about E", you can't do that while listening to a song.

rarely the lyrics really are interesting and thought-provoking, but when it happens, I dig it
>>
>>73253591
I get what you're saying but I'm viewing it more of a 'making you think things you wouldn't otherwise think without someone planting the idea in your head' sort of thing.
>>
>>73253544
Seriously, who needs table?
Tree is just superior.
>>
>>73253651
Honestly who needs Tree?
Soil is just superior.
>>
I happen to disagree with most people who try to put politics in music so it's just luck of the draw I guess. If there was someone I agreed with then maybe I'd like their take. But most people with an informed take on politics, i.e. people who've actually studied it and worked in government, recognize it's really complicated and not something you can sum up in little catchphrases like "better dead than red" or "nazi punks fuck off"
>>
>>73253366
What do you call non-lyrical music that still has vocals?
>>
>>73253227
>I don't give a shit about politics (don't mind political lyrics so long as it's subtle ideological shit)
>when it's not subtle it makes the music age pooly, nobody will want to hear explicitly about obama in a decade
>everybody has an opinion even if they're not informed, naturally the majority of political art will be shit just like political opinions outside of art

haven't listened to pic related but that's it really. Seeing Jello Biafra switch up the lyrics to california uber allies specific to the city was cool though
>>
>>73253793
Yeah unless your talking about enduring political ideologies, talking about politics is just like making a slew of pop culture references. Can anyone listen to American Idiot without painfully revisiting the Bush era and all the youthful anger? I mean it really hurts an album's staying power
>>
>>73253227
because Roger Waters is an annoying cunt
>>
People don't like having their ideas challenged
>>
>>73253994
I'm not sure that's it. I just am not sure people like that in music, maybe. Not anymore
>>
Because every musician has the same political views and it gets tired really fucking quick when everybody is saying the same thing. It's like one big circlejerk.
>>
>>73253753
Zeuhl
>>
>>73253691
Honestly, who needs life? Nonexistence is just superior
>>
>>73253227
It's definitely more of the last one. Music is a universal language that anybody can like. When you mix in political opinions then you start losing people. Not hard to figure out.
>>
>>73254248
Who needs nonexisitence, music is superior.
>>
I don't care about politics at all and usually music that contains political ideologies tends to put too much focus on them and forgets that there's more than lyrics in the song.
When a song/album is mainly about politics and I don't care about politics then I naturally don't care about the song/album. I don't mind subtle, not-in-your-face, messages.
>>
>>73253227
The latter

Politics in music is for complete brainlets.
>>73253591
>>73253793
This.
>>
>>73253227
I usually don't mind, but when it's overly preachy or hamfisted, it bothers me.
>>
>>73254615
For real, who needs music?
Lyrics are just superior
>>
>>73253227
Because most musicians don't really know much about politics and end up looking very biase and uniformed. It's very easy to fuck up when doing political stuff
>>
>>73254779
for real, who needs lyrics?
instrumental music is ju- wait a second
>>
>>73255498
Yeah we get it, fuck off
>>
>>73255596
>:^(
>>
>>73253227
I don't know about all that but the music on this album is so dry and bland. He should've focused more on that than his politics.
>>
music does not lend itself to being thought-provoking political commentary

because of the brevity and poetry of song lyrics, you have to condense your entire political opinion into 1-200 words

almost every interesting opinion on something political has already been explored in countless articles, papers, and fucking books. there's no way you have such an original idea for a song that hasn't already been explored in millions and millions of pages on the topic

lyrics are most effective when they are telling a personal story. a political song is only effective to me when the lyricist is explaining how they reached their political opinions based on personal accounts. just saying "fuck Trump" is not intriguing, thought provoking, or good lyricism. in fact, it makes me respect the lyricist less for having so little going on in their life that the only interesting thing they can write about is what they watched on CNN
>>
>>73254234
This is my current problem with rap. Black power! Fuck the cops! Haha I get shot at by cops
>>
>>73253227
For a lot of political music, I feel like the lyrics tend to sound forced and the songs don't flow well. I prefer more abstract lyrics usually.
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.