[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

lol

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: yes!.jpg (102KB, 400x349px) Image search: [Google]
yes!.jpg
102KB, 400x349px
Is prog rock pretentious?
>>
>>73243344
nah you probably just dont get it, pleb
>>
>>73243433
nigger i do, im asking to see /mu/'s opinion because my pleb friends have shit music taste
>>
>>73243446
faggot
>>
>>73243448
:(
>>
>>73243446
on a more serious note, some of it definitely is

i recall a king crimson interview where they said if it remotely resembled anything pop or popular they would just make it more complicated by playing it in an odd time signature or fucking with the chords

if you listen to ELP there is definitely a sense of the musicians just showing off, keith emerson in particular, but i mean they are good enough and command enough respect due to their skill that they can do that

i love prog but some of it is pretentious for sure
>>
>>73243344
Can't even hold a candle to IDM musicians.
>>
>>73243482
thanks anon,
I'm kinda new to prog rock, what are good bands you would recommend?
>>
bumperoni
>>
>>73243561
if you're new start with these:

King Crimson - In the court of the crimson king
Yes - Close to the edge
Genesis - Selling england by the pound
Genesis - Foxtrot
Pink Floyd - Animals

if you like the more hard rock stuff you might like:

King Crimson - Red
Riverside - Second Life Syndrome (this is more prog medal than prog rock)
Emerson, Lake & Palmer - Brain Salad Surgery

for more space/ethereal rock stuff try:
Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon
Pink Floyd - Meddle
Pure Reason Revolution - The Dark Third
most Pink Floyd stuff is pretty space rock
Coldplay - X&Y (this isn't really prog but it's a damn fine space rock album)

for more experimental stuff try:

King Crimson - Larks' Tongues in Aspic
King Crimson - Discipline

for happier, easier listening prog try:

Caravan - In the land of grey and pink
Caravan - If i could do it all over again, i'd do it all over you
David Bowie - Station to Station (again, not really prog but the title track is like 10 minutes and it sort of fits the vibe)

"progressive pop":

Supertramp - Crime of the Century
Supertramp - Breakfast in america
Supertramp - Even in the quietest moments

those, in order, are the best supertramp albums. Fool's Overture is probably my favourite song by them though.

prog folk (admittedly i dont know much about this since i am not a fan of folk music at all)

Jethro Tull - Thick as a brick
Jethro Tull - Aqualung
>>
>>73243561
i cant believe i forgot Pink Floyd - The Wall. ashamed of myself. great album, more of a story than anything else, i find it very hard to start that album partway. i always have to listen to it from start to finish.

to answer your question on a more personal level, my favourite bands are King Crimson, Genesis, Caravan, and Pink Floyd.

you absolutely must listen to the first 4 i mentioned - those are like the quintessential prog rock albums. also listen to Discipline. i classified it wrong cause i typed out the post first and forgot to correct it. Discipline is just an amazing album overall.

Close to the edge is, unfortunately, Yes's best album. I say unfortunate because the album is just incredible and i always wish they had more stuff on the same caliber, but nothing even comes close. Fragile is up there, and I quite like Tales from topographic oceans, but it's just not the same.

also /mu/ shits on Dream Theater a lot because they are ridiculously cheesy and over the top, but i enjoy their stuff because it's basically all prog metal. Metropolis pt 2, Octavarium, and Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence are all great prog metal albums.
>>
I think that the Yes discography is the perfect example of everything great and terrible about prog.
They have a few albums which are absolute masterpieces (Close to the Edge, Fragile, Relayer), but also stuff like Tales From Topographic Oceans wich is one of the most pretentious prog album, that's just exaggeratedly long with not enough content to justify it and it's about some stupid obscure theme that apparently not even the band members understood well. Plus they have like 21 albums and only 4 or 5 are worth listening to for the most part imo. But again, the stuff that they get right is absolutely incredible.
>>
>>73243344
ELP is, thats why they are shit. Even John Peel hated them he said they were a "waste of time, talent and electricity"
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.