[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Independent vs Major Record Label?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 2
Thread images: 2

File: 6hWtAHr.gif (606KB, 342x198px) Image search: [Google]
6hWtAHr.gif
606KB, 342x198px
I used to think signing to a major record label meant automatic success, but that is not always the case.

These days it seems like would you rather make at least 100k indefinitely from your music(Touring, merch, etc.) or would you sign to a major label and be advanced $5M but lose certain creative rights and have to meet certain sales goals, interviews, etc.

Would you rather get 5M today for a 5 year contract or deff make 150k annually for the next 5 years? If you don't make that 5M back, you gotta pay the difference.

With how much more accessible it is to make and distribute music,signing to major labels seems to be, at least in my opinion, a terrible decision.

And i'm talking about artists who are being sought after by major labels...21 Savage, The Weeknd, Chance The Rapper.

If you have a solid team of consistent producer(s), engineer/mixing guy, writer, whatever else you need while still having control over your music, you are at more of an artistic advantage than someone signed I think...Even better if you can write your own verses/ at least partially create your own beats/instrumentals or find a producer who can also master tracks.

Someone like Chance The Rapper is deff making at least 150k a year prob way more, from his music, merch, and interviews/appearances.

Even as an unsigned artists, you'd still have big names, already established artists, looking to work with you possibly.A good example would be the weeknd when he was still unsigned and dropped the trilogy. He had dudes tryna collab left and right...

On the flip side, i guess signing to major labels opens you up to more artists and connections easier, if you're into that type of thing.
>>
File: 62341638.jpg (114KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
62341638.jpg
114KB, 400x400px
Back to my scenario, if an independent artist, either fully indie or signed to a small label like Soulection or Stones Throw, is easily able to distribute their music (assuming they're at the point where they would even want to be sought after by labels), getting booked consistently for shows/appearences, and keeps their expenses low, lets say they finish 5 years with $600k saved up because they slowed down for the last 2 years...thats a good deal and that money can be flipped easy in the stock market.

On the flip side, Major Labels have high turn over rates and lets say an artist could only partially make back what their deal advancement was...they're now in debt by a whole lot of money. Again, as we've seen with artists, signing isn't always a success. The second option is if they make that $5M back AND some, they might have only made $1M after paying back.

I didn't even include outside sponsorships and commercials that could make money and are completely independent of the music.

From my point of view, signing seems silly if you already have a solid team, connections, and solid following.
Thread posts: 2
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.