[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Reminder that popular music is entertainment, not art. Popular

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: Screenshot_20170607_183038.png (24KB, 600x500px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170607_183038.png
24KB, 600x500px
Reminder that popular music is entertainment, not art. Popular musicians are entertainers, not artists.
>>
*grabs popcorn*
>>
>>73240186
It's true though
>>
Whats with all the fedora's complaining about popular music lately? I'm sorry for posting >I listen to classical music in /classical/ but you started it.
>>
there's no real difference between art and entertainment even if some academics like to think a bit higher of themselves
>>
>>73240052
Reminder that art music is a dead term and anyone who uses it, presumably people who have gone to art school and believe themselves superior to everyone else, though jobless and unqualified for anything but an elementary school reading class and maybe playing classical music if they have some sort of instrumental skill, has not the slightest idea of music and is remarkably close-minded beyond belief about what kind of music they can and can't listen to. Unfortunate, really.
>>
>>73241049
t. high school sophomore
>>
Aight then
>>
>>73240052
Lol ur so insecure
>>
This is obviously bait, but

There is not a dichotomy between "entertainment" and "art". For one, entertainment has been a primary goal of art for centuries. You'd be hard-pressed to call Shakespeare or Liszt neither "entertainment" (since they were wildly popular with just about everyone) or "art" (since they remain stupendously influential on art and culture to this day).

On an even more granular level, how would you possibly enforce this membrane between "art" and "entertainment"? Because if you're arguing that they're definitionally different, you should be able to point to an essential quality that one does/doesn't have that makes it art or entertainment. Here, often, people like OP will try to say "well art isn't created for popular demand, or sale/consumption" but in practice that's never true. Beethoven's music has sold better than almost anyone's, and Take Five is one of the most famous songs of all time. Furthermore, what constitutes a sufficient level of "popularity" for something to stop being art? No one is ever able to answer this, because it's not possible. Do you measure it in fans, listeners, dollars, media coverage, what? What if something is created as art music, but happens to vault into popularity? Does it stop being art? Or does it retroactively lose its definition as "art"? Either option undermines the validity of the dichotomy in the first place.

Again, I know it's bait, but people do unironically believe this, and it's a meme opinion situated just slightly below "all art is equally good" as far as defensibility goes.
>>
>>73240052
we know. is this some grand revelation to those of you who are knew to analyzing the arts and entertainment?

pop artists are still artists, just not as interesting or unique as someone who does "art music".
>>
File: 1474149894876.png (719KB, 1092x1185px) Image search: [Google]
1474149894876.png
719KB, 1092x1185px
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.