[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is there anything more problematic than cultural appropriation?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 2

File: Graceland.jpg (80KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
Graceland.jpg
80KB, 500x500px
Is there anything more problematic than cultural appropriation?
>>
>this bait
Reddit leave this board.
>>
Yeah, shit threads like these.
>>
t. the guy who was saying that Goat is racist

terrible bait
>>
>>73185336
>>73185348
not arguments?
>>
>>73185314
>people were complaining about Paul going to South Africa to make this album because "muh apartheid"

That's why it was so important that he went, you morons.
>>
>>73185314
>Is there anything more problematic than cultural appropriation?
Cancer is pretty bad desu
>>
>>73185314
nope

draconian isolationism is the the logical conclusion to rationality
>>
I mean I know I'm being trolled but as a PSA he recorded that album straight Africa style with a small army of bush folk. Just add some fretless 7 string basses and various jungle instruments.
>>
>>73185395
>>73185417
>>73185431
>>73185442

Maybe because he took traditional african music styles, styles that have actually cultural meaning and impact, unlike our music which is strictly for pleasure, and then transmogrified them to fit his western style music for money and to "entertain" a bunch of ignorant westerners.
>>
>>73185431
>draconian isolationism is the the logical conclusion to rationality
Only autists genuinely believe this, go fuck yourself. This is genuinely the worst post I've seen this week.
>>73185472
Who are you quoting
>>
>>73185336
Reddit would be the least place on the internet to say something like that
>>
>>73185472
>muh sacred drum beats
>>
>>73185521
>classic white ignorance
>>
literally watered down music for soccer moms
>>
>Im living paycheck to paycheck and can barely afford a one room apartment BUT A WHITE GUY IS WEARING A SOMBRERO REEEEEEEEEEEE

This is the modern left
>>
>>73185548
great satire my friend
>>
>>73185472
>implying western music can't have cultural meaning and impact
>>
>>73185472
Meaning is almost completely subjective it is applied by the person consuming the art. Trying to isolate interpretations is an exercise in futility.
>>
>>73185365
>not arguments?
This is a music board if you haven't noticed. Try your luck over at:
>>>/pol/
>>
>>73185472
Written, conceptualized, consented to, and performed by fucking Africans you dum dum. I must have skipped over the part where he shackled them in some dark cave and forced them to sing Diamonds on the Soles of her Shoes 23 hours a day for promises of a thimble full of toilet water and a bread crumb.
>>
>>73185472
with consent of the africans he made the album with mate
>>
>>73185534
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkFHnGWDXXU

They were just mad he made money and never paid they a dime.
>>
File: 1492896914880.jpg (196KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
1492896914880.jpg
196KB, 900x900px
>>73185612
>>73185647
>consent
>>
>>73185681
Oh shit, you realize what you're implying right? Pretty problematic bro, you need to check yourself.
>>
>>73185700
>bro
did you just assume my gender?
>>
>>73185681
I still would think that the album is good and not racist regardless, that just adds to the argument
>>
>>73185314
>cultural appropriation
People can do whatever the hell they want. He wasn't mocking African culture, and he offended nobody. What makes what he did bad? They music's honestly pretty good. My dad loved that album.
>>
>>73185731
>racist
You really don't understand cultural appropriation, do you?

You may think "leftist" "buzzwords" are all the same, but they actually have quite a lot of meaning, depth, and distinctions that you could do with learning, that is, if you don't want to make a fool of yourself.
>>
>>73185761
I honestly don't understand what you mean. Care to elaborate?
>>
>>73185748
>People can do whatever the hell they want
I want to kill you for being so ignorant
>He wasn't mocking African culture, and he offended nobody.
Are you sure? Have you asked everyone? Have you even read a single article of the dozens lambasting the obvious atrociousness of Simon's actions?
>They music's honestly pretty good. My dad loved that album.
Just because you or your dad think its good doesn't mean its morally right or not problematic.
>>
>>73185782
I mean that you said that you didn't think it was racist. I never said it was racist. I said it invokes cultural appropriation, which is quite different from racism and that its common for ignorant privileged people to ignore the distinction between such phrases. Cultural appropriation is very complicated, but you can get a sense by >>73185472
You can also read more about it online
>https://www.theguardian.com/music/2012/apr/19/paul-simon-graceland-acclaim-outrage
and plenty of more reputable and non-biased sources that offer perspectives from native Africans and their trials and tribulations of having to listen to Graceland.
>>
>>73185727
Um, that's a gender neutral, non binary term of endearment in my culture bro. But it's not my job to educate you.
>>
for cultural appropriation to be lessened, the european union must be dissolved in order for countries to undergo an 'edo period'
>>
>>73185795
Assuming you're not baitimg, can I seriously ask you why you're posting this here? Do you really think you're going to change anyone's mind?
>>
>>73185859
>bro |brō|
noun informal
1. short for brother

That seems gendered to me.

Additionally, could I call you a c*unt or a n*igger without judgement just because in my culture its a term of endearment? You have to take other people's feelings into account.
>>
That album sucks fat black dick, but that doesn't mean there's a problem with borrowing things from other cultures. Adaptation is a good thing.
>>
>>73185795
>>People can do whatever the hell they want
>I want to kill you for being so ignorant
How is that ignorance? The Bill of Rights clearly states that people have freedom of press and freedom of speech. He did nothing wrong.
>Are you sure? Have you asked everyone? Have you even read a single article of the dozens lambasting the obvious atrociousness of Simon's actions?
>problematic
I wonder... Is this bait? The man just wanted to make music. Let the man make music. There is nothing on that album that I can see any rational person getting offended about. He has African themes, beats, and singers in his music, then gets assblasted by idiots like you for not being African himself. He even went to fucking Africa to make sure he got it right. It's a comfy album. There's nothing wrong with it.
>>
>>73185851
I still don't agree with you but at least thanks for clearing that up diplomatically.
>>
>>73185851
You seem to be arguing in good faith, but you have to see that outrage about cultural appropriation is primarily originating in the minds of privledged left leaning liberal arts types. A bit of a white savior complex if you ask me (most identity politics and social justice efforts are absolutely drowning in it, ironic as it is insulting). I live in a border state and you know what happens when you go to Mexico? MEXICANS, are all but throwing sombreros, tacos, and sorts of "problematic" stereotypes at you to make a buck. I guess you could assert that they're doing so because of white supremacy and colonization, have at it. They don't seem to be losing much sleep over it.
>>
>>73185890
Sure, if you want. I judge people by their intent, not some original sin of power and priveledge they carry around in their invisible knapsack.
>>
what's problematic about it? he made the music with african musicians, even going to south africa (alongside his past history of working to expose under-appreciated music to the masses) to ensure that the music would not be derogatory.
>>
>>73185472
He literally made this album in the least "appropriated" way possible.
>>
Black people using cell phones is cultural appropriation.
>>
>>73185472
are you 15?
>>
>>73185472
D E E P
E
E
P
>>
>>73185314

Fuck off niggercunt.
>>
>>73186494
Not to mention the wheel. My ancestors (well this was several thousand years ago, but..) worked long and hard to figure out that round shit could roll and I will not stand for that achievement to be plundered and tarnished.
>>
bumparoo
Thread posts: 49
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.