[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Thoughts on Perfect Places?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: 1496506710464.jpg (181KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1496506710464.jpg
181KB, 1000x1000px
Thoughts on Perfect Places?
>>
>generic as fuck
>the chorus is a kids choir

no thanks
>>
>>73183613
Really good.
>>
filthy and sick
>>
The drums feel very artificial and cheap.

But otherwise it's nice and makes me excited to hear the rest of her album. Really evokes the late-summer-night-nostalgia she's talking about in interviews.
>>
Liability >>> Green Light >>>>>> Perfect Places

none of them is good though
>>
I wish she'd have progressed beyond her schtick of "aren't you just so disenchanted with the typically-celebrated hedonism of contemporary youth culture, also existential dread amirite?" I guess the subject matter is still ripe for the picking as far as having maximum relatability amongst her target audience whilst still being unconventional and subversive as compared to the norm, the lyrical angle that got her to where she is.

All the same, I can appreciate it. It does the job at being a refreshing subject for a mainstream pop song I'm gonna spend the next year becoming thoroughly sick of. I enjoy the juxtaposition of the melancholic introspective lyrics and the upbeat, anthemic composition. Actually on my first (admittedly somewhat-distracted) listen it registered as a celebration of drugs/promiscuity/party hard lifestyle etc, which was jarring coming from Lorde.

The tune itself is... just okay. Disappointingly generic - the beginning has my brain anticipating Blank Space, actually. When the chorus hits, I feel so blueballed - a cliched choir chant? I keep anticipating a cathartic climax but that's the best the track has to offer. So played out. Sigh.

The things that distinguish it from a typical pop song are what most endear me to it, but they're frustratingly under-utilised. The pre-chorus after the first verse is my favourite part of the song, but we only hear it once - I really wish it would have reappeared, perhaps with a slight lyrical alteration, later in the song. The little chk chk before the first chorus. I really dig the 80s saw synth hook in the chorus, but it's frustratingly buried in the mix.
>>
the album cover is the only thing i've seen that's worth a damn so far.
>>
>>73184728
Once those few quirks are through, we just get other elements of the track rehashed through the end. A second half-verse before we're thrown back into the underwhelming chorus, that then morphs into an equally-boring outro chant, and then the slap in the face drop into the banal, stripped-down, feelsy piano/ballad wannabe-poignant repetition of the chant ending, another frustratingly unsatisfying cliche.

Some slight changes, with most of the existing elements intact, could really have made it a much better track. A reappearance of that tantalising prechorus. More unique quirks/variation a la the "chk chk". A more substantial second verse. Bring the synth hook higher in the mix. I'd actually have fucking loved if that synth patch would've taken centre stage for a wild freestyle solo towards the end of the track, which would've been much more enjoyable than any part of the existing outro.

Most disappointing of all is that this is the final track of Melodrama. If they consider this generic tangle of lyrical and compositional cliches a worthy grand climax for the record, then I'm not overly excited for the rest of it.
>>
is that a literal millennial whoop in the prechorus
>>
>>73184728
>>73184759
Fantano, is that you?
>>
>>73184728
>existential dread
Has never been a theme in her music, I hate when people confuse her messages with other teen age pop acts, next time listen to the song and don't just read reviews/make assumptions
>>
>>73185011
Existential dread has been a major theme in her music. Half her lyrics basically boil down to "What the fuck do I do with myself? How do I live a life that feels satisfying and true to me? The ways adult authority figures want me to be aren't a good fit, the lifestyle youth culture encourages isn't a good fit, I feel insecure and inadequate when I don't comply with those norms, but unfulfilled when I do do them. Is it okay to feel this way? Fuck it, I'll just do what feels right for me."

This lyric off Pure Heroine exemplifies existential dread, IMO:
This dream isn't feeling sweet
We're reeling through the midnight streets
And I've never felt more alone
It feels so scary, getting old
>>
>>73185467
>And I've never felt more alone
>It feels so scary, getting old

That's not self loathing that's just her views on growing up. The album is a coming of age story; it recounts the emotions she has felt in her teenage years
>>
I just hope her third album will be more creative and experimental. Don't blame her for making some more of that radio money though.
>>
perfect shit
I still fap to her, though
>>
>>73186324
Um, existential dread and self-loathing aren't synonymous.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.