[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Karlheinz Stockhausen on Aphex Twin

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 4

File: stockhausenvsaphextwin.jpg (461KB, 1500x1500px) Image search: [Google]
stockhausenvsaphextwin.jpg
461KB, 1500x1500px
Earlier this year (November 1995), Radio 3 sent a package of tapes to Karlheinz Stockhausen.
The tapes contained music by Aphex Twin, Plasticman, Scanner and Daniel
Pemberton.The music which Stockhausen
was commenting on included "Ventolin" and "Alberto Balsam" by Aphex Twin,
Plasticman's Sheet One album, "Micrographia", "Dimension" and "Discreet" by
Scanner, and "Phoenix", Phosphine", Novelty Track" and "Voices" by Daniel
Pemberton.

Stockhausen thoughts Aphex's tracks
>I heard the piece Aphex Twin of Richard James carefully: I think it would be very helpful if he listens to my work Song Of The Youth,-which is electronic music, and a young boy's voice singing with himself. Because he would then immediately stop with all these post-African repetitions, and he would look
for changing tempo and changing rhythms, and he would not allow to repeat any rhythm if it were varied to some extent and if it did not have a direction in its sequence of variations.
>>
File: 1465752928697.png (358KB, 500x495px) Image search: [Google]
1465752928697.png
358KB, 500x495px
Aphex Twin response being
>Mental! I've heard that song before; I like it. I didn't agree with him. I thought he should listen to a couple of tracks of mine: "Didgeridoo", then he'd stop making abstract, random patterns you can't dance to. Do you reckon he can dance? You could dance to Song of the Youth, but it hasn't got a groove in it, there's no bassline. I know it was probably made in the 50s, but I've got plenty of wicked percussion records made in the 50s that are awesome to dance to. And they've got basslines. I could remix it: I don't know about making it better; I wouldn't want to make it into a dance version, but I could probably make it a bit more anally technical. But I'm sure he could these days, because tape is really slow. I used to do things like that with tape, but it does take forever, and I'd never do anything like that again with tape. Once you've got your computer sorted out, it pisses all over stuff like that, you can do stuff so fast. It has a different sound, but a bit more anal.

Thoughts on this?
>>
where's the fucking vinyl rip from the field day release
>>
>>73162454
id love to hear an afx remix of song of the youth
>>
>>73162441
I mean, Stockhausen has a point here, the sampled breakbeat format for electronic music has obvious limitations and is inherently repetitive, RDJ's argument is basically that he is making dance music so it has to have a consistent rhythm which makes sense I guess.
There seems to be some mutual misunderstandings happening between both parties.
>>
File: 1468110914697.png (260KB, 650x506px) Image search: [Google]
1468110914697.png
260KB, 650x506px
>>73162441
>>73162454
Sorry. Forgot to continue Aphex's other comments.

>I haven't heard anything new by him; the last thing was a vocal record, Stimmung, and I didn't really like that. Would I take his comments to heart? The ideal thing would be to meet him in a room and have a wicked discussion. For all I know, he could be taking the piss. It's a bit hard to have a discussion with someone via other people.

>I don't think I care about what he thinks. It is interesting, but it's disappointing, because you'd imagine he'd say that anyway. It wasn't anything surprising. I don't know anything about the guy, but I expected him to have that sort of attitude. Loops are good to dance to...

>He should hang out with me and my mates: that would be a laugh. I'd be quite into having him around.
>>
File: Karlheinz_Stockhausen_index_1.jpg (51KB, 360x221px) Image search: [Google]
Karlheinz_Stockhausen_index_1.jpg
51KB, 360x221px
>Later in his life, Stockhausen was portrayed by at least one journalist, John O'Mahony of the Guardian newspaper, as an eccentric, for example being alleged to live an effectively polygamous lifestyle with two women, to whom O'Mahony referred as his "wives", while at the same time stating he was not married to either of them (O'Mahony 2001). In the same article, O'Mahony claims Stockhausen said he was born on a planet orbiting the star Sirius. In the German newspaper Die Zeit, Stockhausen stated that he was educated at Sirius
>>
>>73162556
It's on the aphex twin subreddit. Sort by new.
>>
Generally the whole point of avant garde electronic music was to never repeat or establish a steady rhythm. Stockhausen's comments are totally understandable considering that from his point of view, dance music totally squanders everything interesting about electronic music.
>>
>>73162441
He'd have a blast with Steve Reich's music then.
>>
>>73162441
Stockhausen is confirmed to be a pretentious hack yet again.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.