[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Redpill me on artists like Ariel Pink and John Maus. Why the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: mauz624.jpg (118KB, 624x718px) Image search: [Google]
mauz624.jpg
118KB, 624x718px
Redpill me on artists like Ariel Pink and John Maus. Why the fuck do people like them so much?
Like their music is good, I get it. But it's just so bland and sounds like something from the 80s.
Why don't people listen to actual 80s stuff instead of listening to them?
>>
>>73161213
>Why the fuck do people like them so much?
>Like their music is good, I get it.
welp
>>
>>73161213
>Why don't people listen to actual 80s stuff instead of listening to them?
I agree with you that the music their music uses as a jumping-off point is much better than their actual music but Ariel Pink draws from different music and has a more interesting aesthetic than John Maus imo. the whole "hypnagogic pop" thing has a certain appeal, if extremely shallow. both 6/10 artists and nothing more.
>>
>>73161259
I mean why are they held at a higher regard to the people they copy.
>>
>>73161329
they aren't, nobody is saying this. stop it.
>>
>>73161349
Go on last.fm and look at the people who listen to John Maus. Then come back here.
Most of them don't listen to older pop records yet they love him.
>>
>>73161421
>Most of them don't listen to older pop records
well that's why you fucking idiot

if they haven't heard Depeche Mode or New Order or something they're obviously going to think John Maus or the like are the king of this style of music. I defy you to find anybody who's into 80s-era synthpop and will claim John Maus is legitimately even half as good as any of those artists.
>>
>>73161464
Look at my original post
>Why don't people listen to actual 80s stuff instead of listening to them?

I know that they don't listen to bands like that, I'm asking why they don't listen to them instead of hypnagogic pop
>>
>>73161532
p4k
>>
>>73161532
>I'm asking why they don't listen to them instead of hypnagogic pop
this is such a stupid question

because they're plebs? because they're ignorant of the music that this music is indebted to? because they don't like it? who knows. furthermore, who cares?
>>
>>73161532
>I'm asking why they don't listen to them instead of hypnagogic pop
why doesn't anybody listen to any genre
>>
i love actual 80s new wave and post punk but john maus is still one of my favorite artists because he adds this layer of surreal humor to it and encapsulates the exact sort of sound i love.
>>
>>73161213
ngl im not a big fan of maus's music but his writing is pretty interesting and makes a lot of sense of his seemingly random music.
>>
>>73161213
Ariel's just great at crafting pop music. He takes elements from every popular genre of pop music for the past 50 years and blends them.

John Maus good, I like what he does, but not one of my favorites or anything. He's a talented synth pop artist.

Also synth pop doesn't necessarily mean 80's.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.