[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is the definition of dad rock? and why do people hate it so much?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

File: dad-rock-band.jpg (26KB, 550x400px) Image search: [Google]
dad-rock-band.jpg
26KB, 550x400px
What is the definition of dad rock? and why do people hate it so much?
>>
Because /mu/ is full of beta virgin nu-males that hates their alpha dads
>>
>>73133981
the rock music before the post punk revolution, circa 1965-1977
>>
>>73133981
>What is the definition of dad rock?
rock from before the 90s with heavy blues influences. the reason i specify before the 90s is because most things after that are revivalist.
>and why do people hate it so much?
see
>>73133996
>>
>>73133998
What about elvis?
>>
>>73134072
so my bloody valentine and the cure are dad rock? lol
>>
>>73134072
>and why do people hate it so much?
see
>>73133996

but dad rock hate exists outside of /mu/
>>
>>73134078
Grandad Rock
>>
What will be the "dad rock" of this generation?
>>
>>73134112
rock has been dead this generation, this genre will be forgotten by the time we're all dads, and nothing of value will be lost
>>
>>73134112
dadrap like kane west
>>
>>73134087
they don't have nearly the same amount of blues influence as most "dad rock" like led zepplin, sabbath, cream, or CCR
>>73134092
it applies to people outside of mu that fit that description as well
>>73134112
the white stripes
>>
>>73134112
In terms of rock you haven't got much this generation, bands like avenged sevenfold and disturbed have a stranglehold on it atm.
The closet I could suggest would be the foo fighters but even then they're basically a late 90s/early 20s band.
>>
>>73134149
> Dadrap
in 30 years dads will be reminiscing over Kendrick and Kanye
>>
>>73133998
The correct answer
>>
>>73134112
Swans
>>
"Dadrock" is actually way more specific than a lot of you guys seem to think.

"Dadrock" proper didn't exist until 1968. Everything before that is 60's rock, baroque pop, folk revival, psychedelic rock, etc. The Beatles aren't dadrock.

To be true dadrock, a piece of music has to have a few qualities:

1) it must be heavily-influenced by the blues
2) it must have a focus on "rocking hard" or being loud/aggressive/cool in parts
3) it must be guitar-centric; the guitarist needs to be the star of the show
4) it needs to contain guitar solos
5) it has to be good for sex/smoking weed/driving your car fast
6) it needs to focus more on these qualities (guitar soloz, cool riffs, bluesy licks) at least as much as it focuses on experimentation or innovation

So the first dadrock album was probably Electric Ladyland by Jimi Hendrix, and his cover of "All Along the Watchtower" by Bob Dylan is probably the earliest example of a Dadrock song--that is, a song your dad smoked weed to as a kid, and now he says things like "nothing will ever rock harder than that song." This is important for Dadrock: the idea that nothing will be as cool/rock as hard as it.

Some quintessential Dadrock albums:
Led Zeppelin IV
Dark Side of the Moon
Paranoid
Boston
Who's Next
Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs

Eric Clapton was an important figure in the development of Dadrock. Cream's album "Disraeli Gears" was probably the earliest example of proto-dadrock. Dadrock ended in 1982 with Billy Idol's self-titled album. "White Wedding" is the last dadrock anthem. After that, dadrock morphed into white trash hair metal and then grunge and then buttrock followed by faggot indie.
>>
>>73134717
>More on The Beatles not being dadrock:
Many if not most dads will say "the Beatles were okay, but nothing will ever rock as hard as David Gilmour." This is an important observation for a few reasons. It explains:

1) that the Beatles did no "rock hard enough" for your dad, who never really got that into Sgt. Pepper's (that was for old 60's hipsters)
2) just how important David Gilmour is to Dadrock, specifically his solo on "Comfortably Numb"

There are three high water marks in the period I call "The Triumph of the Dadrockers" (i.e. the 70's)

1) The guitar solo on "Stairway to Heaven"
2) The guitar solo (but not the piano part) on "Layla"
3) The guitar solo on "Comfortably Numb"
4) The guitar solo on "Hotel California"

Please note that all of these moments are guitar solos. It cannot be overstated just how important guitars are to dadrock. In a sense, dadrock can be seen as the period of time in which rock prioritized the guitar over every single other musical aspect. Dad sources disagree sharply on just what the greatest moment of Dadrock was, and they will hotly debate which guitar solo "rocks the hardest." Most dads, however, will pick one of these for moments, although instances of "Freebird" "Go Your Own Way" and the aforementioned "All Along the Watchtower" are sometimes also proposed.
>>
>>73134717
This is a good post.
>>
>>73134112
there is no dad rock and hasn't been for a long time, in 30 years it will be dad rap
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.