[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Long Discographies

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 6

File: Marillion_misplacedchildhood.jpg (142KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
Marillion_misplacedchildhood.jpg
142KB, 300x300px
Got challenged by a friend to listen to every Marillion album consecutively. Made me think what bands would this be difficult to do with. Got any bands with long discographies that arent a steaming pile of crap?
>>
Mike Oldfield
>>
>Got any bands with long discographies that arent a steaming pile of crap?

not Marillion
>>
>>73130305
My friend talks about him all the time, thanks for rec :p
>>
Merzbow
>>
>>73130283
Fela Kuti
>>
bob dylan
>>
Animal collective, some of their earlier records can be difficult, but they all have at least decent artistic merit
>>
Celer
>>
File: Frank Zappa.jpg (42KB, 399x600px) Image search: [Google]
Frank Zappa.jpg
42KB, 399x600px
>>
File: s-l1000.jpg (239KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
s-l1000.jpg
239KB, 1000x1000px
John Zorn
>>
>>73131840
>that aren't a steaming pile of shit
You lose
>>
>>73132101
>le frank Zappa is a hack meme
>>
The Microphones / Mount Eerie
>>
>>73132108
>le Frank Zappa is a genius meme
>>
Buckethead
>>
>>73132108
We need a spork general to contain Zappa fans
>>
Fela Kuti
Pharoah Sanders
Swans
Sonic Youth
Ornette Coleman
>>
>>73130283
Viper
>>
>>73132132
If you genuinely think that Zappa's entire discography is a pile of shit, go ahead and be a contrarian but you're wrong.
>>
>>73131753
Their discrography is a bit less of a treck though compared to, say, John Zorn or Zappa. Just in quantity.
>>
>>73132132
>>73132154
Is that why other hacks like Pierre Boulez, Adrian Belew, Chad Wackerman, Chester Thompson, Terry Bozzio and George Duke worked with him?
>>
>>73132193
nobody has heard all of John Zorn's music, not even John Zorn
>>
>>73132213
Any essentials you would recommend?
>>
>>73130283
I would love to try this one day OP but I have trouble maintaining an erection for long enough to try and feel very ashamed of myself in front of my pet chimp.
>>
>>73132204
>he doesn't have the ability to critically analyse music himself so he refers to other musicians as evidence.
How does it feel to be that reliant on other people's opinions?
>>
Floyd has a largish discog, Bowie is very prolific.

They'd occupy you for a while and they both have ups and downs.
>>
>>73132234
> How does it feel to be that reliant on other people's opinions?
I don't know, correct maybe? He was praised in his lifetime and his music is being performed today by orchestras:
https://youtu.be/o3yXzRe5CfI
https://youtu.be/eQdAZUwwaBg
>>
>>73132268
So you're not backing down from the 'people tell me what to like' stance?
Good for you
>>
>>73132284
>So you're not backing down from the 'people tell me what to like' stance?
>Good for you
What are you even talking about? We're not defending a cute pop star here, but you're trying to frame me as being influenced by """ them """ into liking subpar music. When people who've played with Allan Holdsworth, Robert Fripp and conducted the works of Edgard Varese, Anton Webern, Schoenberg, Berg worked with Zappa, doesn't that suggest he is worth listening to? Not to mention that he pioneered a couple of subgenres of music too.
>>
>>73132227
Naked City
Madness, Love and Mysticism
Bar Kokhba

three very different albums, roughly speaking most of his work leans towards either of these three.
>>
>>73132350
Thank you. As far as Marc Ribot goes, is he similar in style to Derek Bailey? I'm asking because he's a collaborator of Zorn's and I can't stomach Bailey at all.
>>
>>73132349
Just because it's not pop doesn't mean you're excused for not having your own opinion and following others. Also, bullshit did he pioneer any genres unless you're counting spork core and ironic doo wop
>>
>>73130283
How do you like it so far? There's only a couple of not so great Marillion albums imho.
>>
File: IMG_20160827_025306.jpg (63KB, 750x283px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160827_025306.jpg
63KB, 750x283px
Killing Joke

Worst album is Outside the Gate
>>
File: screenshot.134.jpg (33KB, 249x301px) Image search: [Google]
screenshot.134.jpg
33KB, 249x301px
>immediately think of Zappa
>ctrl + F
>7 hits
>>
>>73132377
IME he's a lot more bluesy than Bailey. I think he's great in some of the Masada projects.
>>
>>73132388
>Spork
Just as I thought you were actually being serious. Either way, how do you discover new music? Do names of musicians just come to you and you're totally not getting any possible recommendations? And how could you possibly have deduced that I'm devoid of having my own opinion if I like an artist you don't? This is getting ridiculous.
>>
Merzbow
>>
Steven Wilson if you include all his bands and side projects
>>
Sparks
>>
>>73132434
http://rateyourmusic.com/genre/Jazz-Rock/
http://rateyourmusic.com/genre/Avant-Prog/
I'm not sure why I'm even going this much in depth with you.
>>
>>73132434
>And how could you possibly have deduced that I'm devoid of having my own opinion if I like an artist you don't?
I've already explained. Do you have short term memory less or are you just fucking stupid? You used other musicians opinions of frank Zappa as your own by citing them as 'proof' that he's great
>Either way, how do you discover new music? Do names of musicians just come to you and you're totally not getting any possible recommendations?
I don't ask for recommendations, no. Of something is recommended to me I'll listen to it and decide for myself if it's good. I don't do a quick google search to see what famous musicians like that artist. I mainly get my own music through research on the internet

Also just greentexting the word spork doesn't mean you can get off of your statement that he pioneered genres. I'd like to see some examples
>>
I wonder if anyone has listened to the entire The Fall discography. I love The Fall and I know I haven't. That's a huge discography.
>>
>>73132510
I stopped after kurious oranj because it started to get painfull
>>
>>73132496
And you are infallible now, right? Because you personally don't like an artist that automatically makes them not worth listening to? Research on the Internet you say. And that's completely devoid of any recommendations and opinions other than your own? I'm almost certain that you are one of those people who simply can't fathom the idea of music with a sense of humor and satire. If Zappa is so horrible, what artists do you enjoy? Perhaps we would agree on those, but not on him.
>>
>>73132562
>Perhaps we would agree on those, but not on him.
Which I find is the case in most situations.
>>
>>73132562
If you look at our conversation without bias you can see that I have never said that frank Zappa wasn't worth listening to or even that he was bad (steaming pile of shit guy wasn't me). Music can have humour but Zappa sacrificed his own talent (which he definitely had) to do wacky humour. I like some of his stuff but Zappa fans just fucking disgust me. I like a lot of stuff so it's hard to pick a few to represent myself with, especially someone who's foaming at the mouth ready to bite my dick off. Still waiting on those genres though if you haven't taken back that statement yet
>>
>>73132653
I posted that 15 minutes ago:
>>73132494
And what makes you so sure that I'm mad? I'm fully aware that Zappa is popular to hate here and I can't do anything to change the opinion of a meme lord.
>>
>>73132704
I'm not saying you're a meme lord, given that you've said that you are indeed a fan, though not of all of his music. And didn't the last two sentences suggest I was being considerate and not mad?
>>
>>73132704
I wouldn't say any of Zappas stuff is avant prog and jazz rock is just a rockist term for jazz fusion that excludes jazz artists
>>
>>73132704
>>73132734
This guy isn't me but I agree with his sentiment
>>
File: EltonJohn.png (41KB, 1060x281px) Image search: [Google]
EltonJohn.png
41KB, 1060x281px
How long are we talking here?
Elton has 30 studio albums.
>>
chumbawamba
>>
Egor Letov has something like 200 studio albums across all his projects
>>
miles davis
pink floyd
brian eno
sonic youth
david bowie
>>
Frank Zappa, The Kinks, Jethro Tull, David Bowie, GonG, Grateful Dead, Soft , King Crimson
>>
>>73130283
including live albums, king crimson. also as much as this board hates him, steven wilson's discography is pretty fucking impressive if you account for stuff like no-man and iem
>>
>>73132909
>13 studio albums
>more than 50 live albums
I love me some King Crimson but that shit has to stop
>>
>>73132791
That just settles it then.
>>
>>73132265
Floyd made like two albums that aren't perfect.
>>
>>73132949
it's not that many if you ignore the collector's club
>>
>>73132988
wall + anything after it ?
>>
>>73132525
Then you missed out hard on The Real New Fall LP (aka Country on the Click)
Thread posts: 64
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.