[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I want to compose an opera, /mu/. What is a fedora fag to do?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

I want to compose an opera, /mu/. What is a fedora fag to do?
>>
>>73128217
>What is a fedora fag to do?
give up after 10 minutes of research
>>
Just do it bruh. Have you composed anything before?
>>
>>73128273
No. I know how to read and write music, but that's basically it. This thing has just been stuck in my head for the longest time. Should I start out with something small instead?
>>
>>73128315
Start collecting material. Write down bits and pieces, like think of certain parts and find sounds or motifs that you think would fit. Do you know what it's going to be about? And is there anything existing that you'd want to model it after?
>>
>>73128351
Yes. The opera will be about a mortal man in love with an immortal muse. He reincarnates throughout three different lifetimes, which are three separate "acts" for the opera. Each of the lifetimes will end because of the muse, though he does not realize this until the last lifetime, upon which he murders her in revenge, and then tries to kill himself. However, this does not work, as through the act of killing the muse, he stole her immortality, and so he lives for an eternity as a servant of Satan. The opera is kinda sorta related to Carmen, but I will also be putting a bit of a synthwave twist to it as well.
>>
>>73128433
at least you're trying
>>
>>73128433
start by writing a libretto
>>
>>73128433
>synthwave
Oh, it's going to be like that.
Well, the way you write it doesn't really change all that much. Is it going to be more song-based, or will it be more atmospheric? Or are you trying to write a bona-fide Wagnerian thing, with synths?
>>
>>73128217
It doesn't have to be exactly like Mozart or Wagner. Look at something like Dreigroschenoper or Aufstieg und Fall der Stadt Mahagonny by Berthold Brecht and Kurt Weill. They're contemporary but still opera. You can be contemporary or just listen to a lot of Classical and Romantic era opera and get an ear for it. Don't worry about the critics. The purists will always shit on you for small deviations from the norm anyway.
I would recommend researching some things that certain composers popularized in terms of writing format and all and try to copy things you really like - not plagiarizing but taking inspiration from and writing in a similar style.
>>
>>73128217
Make it about a historical figure. All the modern American ones like Nixon in China and Akhnaten are about historical figures.
>>
>>73128433
Will it have spoken dialogue?
>>
I'd say that besides research, just write music until one day you get to a point of having enought experience of writing a song based on the mood you wanted to write it in.
When I started writing music, it took me a year and a half to be able to say "i want this to sound melancholic, hopeful in the beginning and depressingly crushing in the end" and end up writing a song that actually sounds like that.
Also, don't be afraid to be shit in the beginning, everyone was shit until they practiced enough.
Other, more obvious advices are just studying theory, composition and orchestration a lot.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.