[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's your favorite Of Montreal album? Explain.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 7

File: of montreal.jpg (35KB, 220x185px) Image search: [Google]
of montreal.jpg
35KB, 220x185px
What's your favorite Of Montreal album? Explain.
>>
>>73121644
>called of montreal
>not of montreal
>>
I've only heard Hissing Fauna
Liked it enough
>>
Paralytic Stalks. Catchy as hell while still simultaneously being the most experimental and noisy release oM has ever put out. Those neoclassical and prog-rock influences made it something wholly unique, and it's lyrically Kevin's most honest and personal lyricism to date. It's spiteful, but not in a "fuck u ex wife" way like Aureate Gloom was. It's more nuanced and complex than that, which makes it even more wonderful.
>>
>>73121644
>That combover
Kevin.. no....
>>
File: IMG_1048.jpg (42KB, 480x362px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1048.jpg
42KB, 480x362px
The gay parade.

It's raw but creative and has some of his best vocal melodies especially through the layering he does.

It's solid, focused, and cohesive. No other album has come this close except hissing fauna which even near the end starts to dilute.
>>
File: cover.jpg (152KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
cover.jpg
152KB, 500x500px
I'd say this one
Some really catchy songs and really plays off his depression really well masking his lyrics with these catchy and bright sounds
>>
Paralytic Stalks and Coquelicot equally, for their ambitious and unique instrumentation and themes; their experiments with both song strcutre and overarching album structure. His songwriting is at its peak when it wrestling cohesive projects like this rather than simply experimenting with sound. Hissing Fauna and the Gay Parade are other great examples of his work.

I hope he pours more perfectionism into the next project. I respect and enjoy his constant drive to surge forward sonically, to avoid stagnating, but I hope at some point he does slow down releases and really focus on polishing another album as precise and grandiose as those four works. The current trend seems to be albums that are just strings of hit and miss ideas with no particular attempt at lashing them together into something greater; bound only by the time frame within which they were created.
>>
Hissing Fauna, it plays the smoothest out of all of the others (in my opinion) and doesn't go off into Kevin's wacko psych tangents.

A Sentence of Sorts in Kongsvinger, Gronlandic Edit, Bunny Ain't No Kind of Rider, and Suffer for Fashion are songs that I love oh so very much.
>>
File: Innocence Reaches.jpg (641KB, 620x620px) Image search: [Google]
Innocence Reaches.jpg
641KB, 620x620px
I have hardly seen ANYONE talking about this album. What do you guys think of it?

It's probably my least favorite post-Satanic Panic album, it's just too all over the place and not really cohesive at all. A lot of the songs are just too boring to make relistens enjoyable. But it has some bangers (Trashed Exes, A Sport And a Pastime, and Let's Relate jump to mind), and it's good to see Kevin at least SOMEWHAT finding his melodic side again
>>
File: Montreal.png (2MB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Montreal.png
2MB, 1000x1000px
A Bedside Drama got me through my last breakup. Beautifully structured to tell the story with emotional frenzy.
>>
>>73122082
objective truth
>>
>>73122565
You're right about it not being very cohesive compared to older projects but I still found it very enjoyable. Some of the lyrics on here i found very thought provoking and relatable too like on "it's different for girls".
>>
>>73122565
Disco psych pop or whatever this was doesn't work. It's creative but I hope this album is an oddity, because if not Kevin's music is drifting in a direction that I don't anticipate liking.
>>
Paralytic Stalks> The Gay Parade > Coquelicot > Cherry Peel > Hissing Fauna > Satanic Panic > Aureat Gloom > Bedside Drama > Sylvianbriar > Skeletal Lamping > Sunlandic Twins > False Priest > Aldhils > Innocence Reaches

Paralytic Stalks is up and away their best, though Coquelicot and The Gay Parade are both strong contenders

Aside from all the reason mentioned by >>73121739 and >>73122111,
I also really liked the tangible sense of desperation in the vocal performance that paired well with the lyrical themes and cacophonous instrumentation.

>>73122565
I didn't like it at all. It replaced Aldhils as my least favourite oM.
>>73122578
Extremely under rated in their discography, especially the later half. It's Easy to Sleep When You're Dead could be my favourite oM track
>>
>>73121739
Paralytic Stalks. Same reasons as this goy posted.
>>
>>73122565
Yeah it wasn't cohesive at all, and it's why Kevin should take his time putting out albums instead of just churning out whatever he's working on. Like I'm pretty sure Chaos Arpeggiating was made before Aureate Gloom even officially came out based on what Kev has said on his Insta. I like the synthpop-esque sound the album eventually evolved into, but it didn't need all those medicore AG outtakes mixed in.

On the topic of Trashed Exes: A long time ago, Kevin posted a clip of an early version of that song on his Instagram. It had slightly different lyrics and it was way more rock-oriented than the electronic sound it ended up with. Anyone remember that? It's been deleted since then and I'm almost positive there's no mirror of it anywhere but it sounded dope
>>
It's a damn shame Kevin's voice has gone to shit. His vocal range gets weaker and weaker every album, and watching videos of oM performing live and seeing how Kevin's voice has gotten weaker and cracklier is really disappointing
>>
>>73122565
I enjoyed it more than the two prior to it. It had some of his strongest songwriting efforts in the style of his recent psych rock phase in Chaos Arpeggiating, Def Pacts and Les Chants De Maldoror (the latter having a great second half that descends into some interesting experimentation in repetition).

I love My Fair Lady's chaotic climax with the saxophone and distortion; I hope he uses more saxophone (and grander instrumentation in general; the return to a guitar oriented sound is waring thin now), noise and atonality going forward. Preferably alongside the sound of the drum and bass driven tracks like Ambassador Bridge, Chap Pilot and Let's Relate. I also desperately hope he sticks with this return of actual vocal performances, as in Nursing Slopes and Chaos Arpeggiating, and takes some of the more interesting vocal experiments forward with him (the sort of down-pitched slow vocals of Ambassador Bridge, and the stuttering Gratuitous Abysses).

I cannot stand A Sport And A Pastime (the arrangement is too sparse for me, the vocals weak and the side-chain unforgivable), and I don't much enjoy Trashed Exes either. Let's Relate is fantastic though.

There's a lot of great stuff on it but for me the tracks were too insular in their experimentation and dissimilar to form a cohesive effort. There were too many hang-ups or leftovers from Aureate Gloom days, which were placed throughout the forward-thinking and very dissimilar tracks in a way that ruined any sense of pacing. Plenty of good tracks but not necessarily a good album.
>>
>>73121644
Lousy with Sylvianbriar

Honestly the only one I have listened too. Their discography is pretty large and I know I can always turn to it for a solid listening experience. I might start digging into their discography in a few months but I have a huge list of albums I still need to get to. That being said I love the album because of its witty lyrics on Belle Glade Missionaries and Sirens of Your Toxic Spirit that was what initially kept me interested in the album. From there I got into the groove how it was twangy, but not really country or bluesy. The female vocals were really psychedelic aswell. All in all, it stayed interesting enough for me to stay into it and keep coming back to it.
>>
the gay parade and paralytic stalks

literally everything else is shit
>>
>>73121644
The one where he isn't a massive faggot.
>>
as if any of their albums aren't super inconsistent
>>
>>73123195
Lousy with Sylvianbriar is underrated as hell and is probably in my top 5 for the band. It's such a shame Rebecca Cash left, her vocals really added a lot to that album
>>
>>73123569
A lot of them aren't though
>>
>good music discussion
>thread is dead

every time
>>
>>73122578
This,
the album perfectly represents a relationship in 38 minutes
>>
>>73122578
Underrated AF
>>
File: kevvo.jpg (162KB, 620x412px) Image search: [Google]
kevvo.jpg
162KB, 620x412px
Anything I listen to after Skeletal Lamping (including a few songs on there) I am just thinking what the fuck Kevin is doing. How could you put up a few really solid albums the first 10 years of the band and not have a single fucking cohesive thing done in the second 10 years? Why do most pop artists run out of steam when they get older? Shouldn't they get better like classical music composers usually do? Or does pop music just not work that way?
>>
>listen to Of Montreal Album
>Half the songs are great
>Half the songs it sounds like he picked chords out of a hat and the song makes no fucking sense and the melodies are all over the place

Am I just too pleb?
>>
>>73127535
No you basically described 90% of of of of Montreal albums
>>
>>73127546
>of of of of

o i am laffin
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.