[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Music reviews serve no purpose in the Internet age

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

>Movie reviews
Want to see if a film is good before buying a ticket to see it, although you can watch online
>Book reviews
Same as above, can't really download a book
>Restaurant reviews
Want to know if a restaurant is good before forking out money for a (hopefully) good meal. Cannot not try before

See a pattern here? Reviews exist so the customer knows if said thing is worth buying or not. But music is exempt from this. Everything from streaming, to easy downloads and youtube means, if we want, we can simply listen to said artist or album or single before buying it.

So why do we still take reviews seriously? They are not needed anymore, and serve no purpose other than to inflate the journalist's ego and to create a sensation of conformity i.e. listening to an album 'because it's critically acclaimed' rather than because you like it or not.
>>
>>73121164
>Same as above, can't really download a book
you lost your argument there. the point of reviews, for me, is to know some of the talking points around an album when I'm discussing it. If I love an album most people hate, I want to know that beforehand so can phrase why I like it better. Also it's good to find music that sounds like stuff I already like. But honestly chart threads and random recs take that spot for me now
>>
File: 1484111496732.jpg (44KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1484111496732.jpg
44KB, 640x480px
>>73121164
>can't really download a book
Nani?
>>
I like to hear people praising things I like. That's the biggest value for me. There's also the factor of how much music actually exists. If someone brings something to your attention and describes it in a way that's appealing to you it could be a gateway to finding something you like. Writing about music rather than simply evaluating it's quality is probably the future though. Digibro and Writing On Games are already doing that for anime and video games and I think that's the most appealing way to fulfill those functions in the information age.
>>
>>73121243
So you're saying you need someone else to tell you the context and talking points of an album when you discuss it to people? Why can't you learn that up yourself? Interviews, wikipedia, research, etc

>>73121266
I agree with the second point, in that a review can bring something to light that otherwise wouldn't be, so that's an upside, but I disagree with your first point. You need to hear people praise the stuff you like? Is that a validation thing? I don't mean that in a mean way, I really am interested
>>
>>73121266
(Not insinuating those are the only or first people doing that, but they're seeing success with it on youtube and I personally like them.)
>>
>>73121314
>Why can't you learn that up yourself? Interviews, wikipedia, research, etc
I do that too. But a lot of stuff I enjoy doesn't have that info.bfor example the new sun kil moon album has very little wikipedia info. I had to read reviews to figure out it was mainly just disliked by whiney millennials.
>>
>>73121164
>to see if a film is good before buying a ticket to see it
holy autism. think for yourself. the only reason I read reviews is the same reason people read political analysis. I'm looking for well-written musings over an art piece.
>>
music serves no purpose in the reviews age
why spend an hour to listen to an album
when you could read about its historical relevancy in 1minute
after all music is a waste of productivity with a possible exception being certain strains of ambient music which encourage better productivity
basically, read a few history books and wipe your hands of music
>>
>>73121427
I didn't mean to imply politics is art when I said this but whatever.
>>
>>73121314
Maybe in a sense it's a validation thing. I like some pretty out there stuff that I can't get other people into, so it's validating to see that reviewed positively for the "cool, I'm not insane" factor. The bigger side of it is the ability to revisit the feelings of the experience through someone else passionately talking about their similar feelings (someone who's probably better at expressing themselves through writing than I am) without having to actually put the time into experiencing the whole thing again. The connection between people over an emotionally powerful shared experience is a beautiful feeling in it's own right, and creating that feeling is a worthy creative activity that has to be separate from the thing.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.