[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Swans/Michael Gira General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4

File: file.png (3MB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
3MB, 1200x1200px
Anyone know what the cover to My Father is?
I can tell there's smoke, but what's that thing in the middle?
>>
>smoke

wait, it's not something out of space?
>>
It's white powder on glass, or maybe clear ice.. Behind the glass is the same powder in water, or smoke in air.
>>
It's from a series of photographs of paint in water

http://www.beatricepediconi.com/works/images/untitled-2008-2010.php
>>
looks like paint in water
>>
>>73108285
Thanks
>>73108271
It does look very celestial, which is the point, I imagine, with the album largely being about spiritualism and heaven
>>
>smoke

kek

that's semen. a semen nebula.
>>
>>73108285
I thought it was some kind of cloud in space.
>>
Speaking of MFWGMUARTTS, it's often called one of Swans' worst albums, but I personally really love how it's effectively a mix of the Swans and Angels of Light sounds.
For example, Eden Prison has the vocal depth of AoL, while still being very loud and rocky instrumentally
>>
>>73108728
It was written as an Angels of Light album but Gira decided to bring back the Swans name as he felt it more heavily represented the sound he was going towards
So with the exception of some old tracks like My Birth it's pretty much an Angels of Light cover album played by Swans
>>
>>73108728
>Eden Prison
Best track of the album in my opinion.
>>
>>73108783
I heard that No Words/No Thoughts was the only song written with Swans in mind
>>
>>73108728
It's one of my favourite swans albums desu. Top 3 at least.
>>
>>73108798
Yeah that would make sense.
And My Birth was originally an unreleased live track they played in 1997
>>
Whoa, was just looking around and found this
https://chvrchdvstrecords.bandcamp.com/album/anything-for-you-a-tribute-to-swans
Listening to The Sound right now (one of my all-time favourite songs), and it's pretty neat
>>
File: giriak.jpg (111KB, 658x520px) Image search: [Google]
giriak.jpg
111KB, 658x520px
I just heard Bring The Sun / Toussaint L'Ouverture and was completely blown away, that was an amazing journey. Is anybody else also extremely fond of this one?
>>
>>73109333
Definitely, I first listened to it while lying down in bed, and I felt like I was ascending during parts of it
>>
>>73108865
what's with all these generic underground post-rock bands and castrated tenor vocals? Swans is intense because of Gira's deep voice and these covers are pretty much failure in that regard.
>>
>>73109629
Yeah, I never said it was really good, but it is interesting
Mother of the World is disgusting, I won't spoil it though
>>
I'm beginning to believe that Children Of God is one of Swans' weaker albums
Also: Sex, God, Sex has been ruined for me after listening to the version on "We Rose..." so many times.
>>
Does anyone have the flowchart?
I just downloaded the studio discography and dont know where to start.
>>
File: 1399702083643.jpg (804KB, 2437x1448px) Image search: [Google]
1399702083643.jpg
804KB, 2437x1448px
>>73110655
>>
>>73109333
my favourite Swans song. I feel pure elation everytime the first 'suuuuuuuun' comes in. Goosebumps all over.
>>
>>73110655
I'd start with OP's pic (my father will guide me up a rope to heaven). it's great, short and accessible enough.
>>
>>73110670
thanks
>>
File: 1467015680230.jpg (3MB, 3754x3394px) Image search: [Google]
1467015680230.jpg
3MB, 3754x3394px
>>73110670
That's the old one
This one's more expansive and has The Glowing Man
>>
QUICK! Post your worst to best Swans albums!
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.